Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Small field flight trim (Read 1081 times)
Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Re: Small field flight trim
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 9:19am
Print Post  
OK, thanks.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Small field flight trim
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I think you're on the right track.  I don't think you have to go to a smaller prop but that will turn faster and run the motor down faster.  I suggest that you use lower power and trim for the circle you want.  Once you have the circle set you can increase the winds and motor size till you get the performance you want.  Trimming is pretty much the same for whatever field you fly in.  Most guys trim to catch a thermal for a max flight.  So the field size can be a limiting factor but remember even when trimmed to fly in a smaller field...Hung can still grab your model!!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Small field flight trim
Apr 17th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I am a sport flyer with a flying field measuring about 450 feet X 160 feet and surrounded by trees on 3 and 1/2 sides. The trees are maybe 40 feet or so high. There is usually wind coming off the next door reservoir above the trees.

Most of the trimming articles I have seen are based on the premise that the model will be used for competition. But I need to trim a rubber powered model to fly in low wide circles and to stay below the tree tops.

I am starting with my son’s GAR Me-109 kit. It came with a 7 inch prop. I’m going to start off with a 6” prop and a thinner rubber motor. I am hoping that a long thin motor will  give me the performance I am looking for. It may have anemic performance but I’m not quite sure what else to do. I’m thinking low and slow in big circles. Sort of like indoor trim? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint