Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Veron Cosmic Wind Minnow (Read 8216 times)
alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Re: Veron Cosmic Wind Minnow
Reply #28 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Jun 11th, 2020 at 11:44am:
What did you use to cut the circles?  Did you sand the small disks to a saucer shape and add them back to the wheel?  A bit more details please.  Would be helpful for our newer modelers.Sky9pilot

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BK7NWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?i...

Also found in Michaels and Blick stores, prices vary.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Not to belabor the wheel thing...but the point is that there is no need to ever use those dreaded hardwood units that come with kits...or even plastic for that matter (do as I recommend...not as I've done  Grin).  Balsa wheels are easily constructed.

The smaller disc has been left off of these wheels on the backside...and can even be added to the outside for a deeper spoke cover effect.  The process is pretty evident...otherwise.  Brisfit was an 18"ws model (plan was 15"ws) with those two wheels weighing in at 1.32g pr. Wink

True up your creation on a length of tube...then fix in place with a bit of CA.  When all set up...cut the tube off.  Beware getting CA inside that bushing!  When I was a kid, I was forever scrounging old ballpoint pen refills...wanted the brass tubing. Roll Eyes

Your model is coming along very nicely, Toulouse! Smiley

Neal

( 71 KB | 101 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Wheels_1_32g_pr_001.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Great looking wheel Neal.  What did you use to cut the circles?  Did you sand the small disks to a saucer shape and add them back to the wheel?  A bit more details please.  Would be helpful for our newer modelers.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:16am
Print Post  
You asked about the wheels of my Heath...here's a method that does NOT involve turning them in a Dremel or drill...any size or thickness...your choice...with an aluminum tube bushing to fit the axel you're using...lots of careful sanding...but is still quick.  Wheels shown were for a peanut Hawker Fury...but ultimately not used on that model (used wire wheels instead).  The more you make the better they get. Smiley

Neal

( 58 KB | 83 Downloads )
Wheel_Fabrication.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #24 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Love cheek cowls on planes. I think they are so cool.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Bones look good!   Smiley

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #22 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Smiley The airframe components are almost complete.
Assembled them with masking tape for the photo.
Lots of sanding to do, nose block, engine cowling, wheel spats
Have purchased some tissue in a suitable colour for Minnow Cosmic Wind #4.
Will cover the tailplane soon, so I can assemble with the fuselage, fin and rudder.
This is a fun build for me.
All the best to all you guys from down under.
Smiley Smiley Smiley

( 145 KB | 112 Downloads )
200609_Cosmic_Wind_Minnow_Airframe_3.JPG

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #21 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Thanks Kerak.
I have spliced the first full length one with a short addition as suggested.  Not fitted it yet.  Noticed the rear fuselage not quite square so remeasured and re cut one upright and one lower cross brace.  Now glued in place and all OK.  Also added the stabilizer support mounts as designed on the upper longerons.

The plan does not provide an upper stern post for the 5 x longerons to attach to.  As I have not been into the shops to get some bronze tissue, I did not want to cover the tailplane and glue it in first with the fin and rudder.  I have settled on measuring and fitting temporary upper stern post so the longerons have a fixed rear target to glue to.  When all longerons glued and secure will cut a 1/16 slot to slide the tailplane into.

Have completed assembly of the wheel spats and started shaping  and sanding to streamline.  Just like shaping a surfboard but on a smaller scale.  Smiley  Also cleaned up the tailplane and wings and started sanding.

I confessed earlier the building instruction sequence and detail instruction text blew away in the wind when I was working on the barbecue table.  Did not fully understand the wing attachment technique, however I do now.  Needed to cut rectangles in the both K1 for the wing rear spars to glue into and also two slots for the trailing edges. 

Smiley I am continually pleased and impressed with the precision of the printed balsa sheets in this old style Veron kit.  Every part has fitted together well, including both wings to the fuselage , each with with 4 x slots in each K1 for the LE, 2 x spars and TE and at the correct dihedral angle.

Stringers are next and steaming the ones for the front under fuselage curved ones.

All the best, keep safe everyone.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #20 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Thanks Kerak.
I have spliced the first full length one with a short addition as suggested.  Not fitted it yet.  Noticed the rear fuselage not quite square so remeasured and re cut one upright and one lower cross brace.  Now glued in place and all OK.  Also added the stabilizer support mounts as designed on the upper longerons.

The plan does not provide an upper stern post for the 5 x longerons to attach to.  As I have not been into the shops to get some bronze tissue, I did not want to cover the tailplane and glue it in first with the fin and rudder.  I have settled on measuring and fitting temporary upper stern post so the longerons have a fixed rear target to glue to.  When all longerons glued and secure will cut a 1/16 slot to slide the tailplane into.

Have completed assembly of the wheel spats and started shaping  and sanding to streamline.  Just like shaping a surfboard but on a smaller scale.  Smiley  Also cleaned up the tailplane and wings and started sanding.

I confessed earlier the building instruction sequence and detail instruction text blew away in the wind when I was working on the barbecue table.  Did not fully understand the wing attachment technique, however I do now.  Needed to cut rectangles in the both K1 for the wing rear spars to glue into and also two slots for the trailing edges. 

Smiley I am continually pleased and impressed with the precision of the printed balsa sheets in this old style Veron kit.  Every part has fitted together well, including both wings to the fuselage , each with with 4 x slots in each K1 for the LE, 2 x spars and TE and at the correct dihedral angle.

Stringers are next and steaming the ones for the front under fuselage curved ones.

All the best, keep safe everyone.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #19 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Not to belabor the issue of splices...but did this just the other day to a 3/32"sq stringer (used for Heath wing leading edge).  Instead of cutting up a new 36"length of 3/32" sq strip, I "cheated" and spliced a couple of smaller lengths together...just enough scrap to do the job.  Not a good macro-photo...but you can see the different wood tones...that's the splice.  Works very nicely.

Neal

( 74 KB | 86 Downloads )
P1190758.jpg

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #18 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Smiley
Thanks for that information SkyPilot.
The brand is John Sands.  Tom and I used Hallmark red tissue on Tom's Guillows Cessna 150.  It was excellent.  We bought it at Whitcoulls in Wellington CBD New Zealand.

I saw both the gold and bronze colours collage paper from John Sands in a smaller local Whitcoulls suburban store.
Whitcoulls online site has only gold.
But it is headlined as Tissue and again in the sub text.
Looks promising, I will check the CBD store next time I am in the city..
Whitcouls website link for John Sands collage paper.:
https://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/product/collage-tissue-paper-metallic-gold-6213953?...
Smiley  Many thanks also for your solution with the F86 and F84 cockpit and canopy area.
I will do it the way you describe.
Thanks and regards
Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I used the same technique for the cockpit for my F-86 and F-84G.  Placed the canopy in place and drew a line around the canopy.  I then filled in this area with black tissue or black acrylic hobby paint thinned with some water.  This gives a nice semi gloss surface for the placement of a pilot/radio etc that shows through the canopy.  I then use canopy glue ( I use Aleenes Tacky Glue thinned with water) to attach the canopy.  Once that has dried I use strips of tissue to seal around the edge of the canopy and canopy framework. 

I couldn't find anything on collage paper except some noted it was tissue but others didn't say tissue but bright colors or patterns.  I'd be careful that it says tissue paper.  Not all tissue paper is the same.  Some is stronger than others. Some shrinks ok while some when wet will tighten up and cause the tissue to split along the grain.  I'd test any paper before applying it to a model. 

Some tissue does come folded in packs like wrapping tissue, for gifts etc.  If you have access to a Hallmark Store their tissue is pretty good if you don't have access to mail order like Easy Built Tissue, Volare Model Products, etc.

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks SkyPilot and Kerak. 
Smiley
The splicing tip is a good one and very timely.
Every stringer in this kit requires splicing.
On the plan every stringer on the plan continues through the cockpit area, that is from nose to stern post.  There is no room for a pilot.  Many 1950's era scale kits were like this.  For example Cosmic Wind and Jetex designs like Keil Kraft F9F Panther, Sabre, and Mig 15.  The formed canopies just sat on top of the fuselage.  There was no cockpit detailing, instrument panels or pilots.  Building as designed gives more strength.  I may do this, as simpler.  I may define the cockpit area with grey tissue, and sit a pilot on top.
This kit is a round the pole racer.  There is a short wire included for attachment in the wing tip for this.  Also explains the slim wing ribs, thinner than I expected and heavier tailplane framing and platform etc . 

Smiley When I was about 14, I designed and built a stubby wing, long enclosed fuselage, big prop, lots of rubber RTP racer projectile; and took it to my model club monthly meeting.  No one else ever built a RTP model so no races eventuated.

I will sort out the Cosmic Wind photos and post later.

All the formers have been added and one stringer.  The under body front stringers require steaming for the curve.

In the earlier photo I incorrectly glued Former F1 at the nose.  When I came to eyeball matching to the nose block it didn't match up to F1. N1 or similar was the first notched former on the nose.   F1 is one vertical spacer back.

I surgically removed F1 and glued it where designed.

A question: is tissue like paper sold in packets like tissue called "Collage paper" suitable for models.  Does it water shrink.  I have found collage paper in bronze metallic.

Keep safe every one
Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:58am
Print Post  
here you go... remember the angle is fixed by cutting the two while aligned together before cutting...

( 11 KB | 57 Downloads )
splice05.jpg
( 13 KB | 67 Downloads )
splice07.jpg
( 69 KB | 65 Downloads )
balsa_splice.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2020 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Coming together nicely, Toulouse.  Smiley

Couple of suggestions:  If at all possible, if you could reduce your posted photos to less pixels, say...800 x whatever...that would make them much more viewable.

Noted a couple of longeron splices...with bracing pieces added for strength.  While that certainly works, the extra wood will add weight...which tends to build up throughout our models.  To lengthen that wooden strip...merely lay the two pieces side by side...then slice an angle...turn the one piece over...mate the two piece and fix with a tiny drop of ca.  Presto...works very well.  Now, just because I wanted to find an illustration of the process...can't find it!  It has been done that way for eons...but was a bit trickier before the advent of super glue.  Is very easy and effective today.  Conservation of materials..... Wink

Just suggestions, Toulouse.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint