Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Flight of the Phoenix food for thought cook up. (Read 93 times)
pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Re: Flight of the Phoenix food for thought cook up.
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 9:00am
Print Post  
I watched the original movie a few days ago. During the making of the original movie, Paul Mantz was killed in a crash involving the replica that they built to film the flying sequences. You can see the wheels poking out of the skis in those shots of the real aircraft. The one that they built in the story had only skis.

The idea of the cookup is a bit narrow. But if it included aircraft used in any movie, or movie of a certain time period, it might be more interesting. For instance, I like the Waco UPF-2 on floats used in the beginning of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' as a subject.

ian

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Flight of the Phoenix food for thought cook up.
Jun 2nd, 2020 at 5:50am
Print Post  
This is a copy of a build article that was in this months AMA Model Aviation. It is project #4589 on my airplane build wish list. Maybe with inspiration from this group, it could come to reality one day. I would like to just throw this idea out there for everyone to think about. Maybe right now is not the best timing, maybe when life gets back to a little more normal. Just something to think about. What would everyone think about a "Flight of the Phoenix" cook up? And in an attempt to make it interesting to everybody, the build could be any format, or scale the builder wanted. The only rule would be, it must be the "Flight of the Phoenix" airplane, as shown at the end of the movie. I feel watching every ones different approach to the same airplane, and the conversation about the movie, would definitely add to the cook up. Myself, I am leaning towards relaxing a bit on the detail, and doing a 36"ish wingspan in electric RC. Please, I would love to hear your thoughts about this cook up.

( 331 KB | 14 Downloads )
img005.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint