Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) F-4H PHANATOM II (Read 2114 times)
Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Re: F-4H PHANATOM II
Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 8:35am
Print Post  
You are right gurney flaps on the bottom of the elevator will make it worse. I may put them on top. You are also correct about these beasts needing more speed to glide. That was one of the things that caused me grief in the hand glide stage. So I'll give it some more time and, if necessary, move on to another one. Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Without seeing the hand tossed glides it's difficult to give advice.  If it is nosing in...gurney flaps on the bottom of the trailing edge of the horizontal stabs will increase the nose dive in effect giving more down elevator. 

If it's stalling, then the gurney flaps on the bottom might help.  These catajet don't float in their flight patterns so it will need some speed to glide but you should be able to get a fairly flat level glide to a gentle landing.  You might try ungluing the horizontal stabs and relocating them in a more zero/zero decalage arrangement. Consider this a learning model and proceed from there!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Actually, if the lower powered flights do not show a way forward I'm planning on adding small trim tabs (Gurney flaps, ??) to the lower trailing edge of the elevators. Then, I'll build another one with a modified tail incidence. This one will be blown up to 115%. Make it a little easier for me and my 10 thumbs to build. I hope.

The original plan yields a model with about a 6 inch wingspan.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
No, I was totally unsuccessful with the hand launch phase. I then moved to low powered catapult launches, at least what I considered low powered, based on previous experience. Basically, I'm still not using full power. However I will reduce power more and see what happens. If nothing, else this little beast has proved durable over a grass field.

I have not been able to measure the decalage (?). But it looks like the horizontal stab is considerably more than 1 degree negative relative to the wing. I have seen an article by Gary Morton promoting a 0/0 degree alignment of the flying surfaces with adjustments using Gurney flaps.

If the lower powered catapult launches do not get where I need to be then I'll build another with a modified wing/tail alignment.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't if it's already lawn darting after the speed falls off.  Have you been able to hand launch and get a level glide for a short way?  I'd work on trying to achieve a glide from the hand launch then move to the catapult...  just my thought.  Others may have more info for you.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Whipped up an F-4H jetcat of about a 6” span from a plan preceding the digital age. Currently it launches almost arrow-straight with a great climb and then noses over for a lawn dart landing. Launches are from level to perhaps about a 30 degree elevation. I can’t launch at a higher angle because it goes overhead and I lose track of it. Doesn’t seem to make any difference if I launch with it banked to the right or more or less level.

It was built with the wing cocked to the left ( not recommended)  which resulted in a nifty roll to the left followed by a “falling leaf” maneuver. A trim tab on the left wing neatly solved that problem. Now it flies like an arrow. Not ideal but at least it flies. All that walking is good exercise.

And to think that if I wanted a glider with no turn at all, I probably couldn’t build one!

Should I keep adding clay to the nose?

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
For years my family lived near Lambert Airport. McDonnell aircraft was building F-4s adjacent to the airport facilities. I got to see lots of F-4s taking off, or in the landing pattern.

One afternoon I was walking home and I saw 4 F-4s taking off in the tightest formation I ever saw. They were really hauling and seemed in a great hurry to get somewhere. As the Cold War was booming, that sight sent a chill down my spine. Until then I had always seen them in pairs. But not that close together.

Eventually, nothing happened but I remember the feeling to this day.

But today I couldn't tell you if the afterburners were lit or not.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
This Day in Aviation:
Thought you might find this interesting: Bendix Trophy Race Click Here

And here's an F4H-1 forsale ...a civilian F-4 Phantom II.  Who would have thought! Shocked Wink

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information. Wouldn't you know, my last order from Volare has already shipped!  Grin Oh, well. I can easily live with an F-4E plan. After all this is not going to be a NATS entry in scale. Just a simple fun project for a small field.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I have been working on a plan for an F-4E that could easily be converted to the F-4H-1 version. Here's a link to our plans on Free Flight Archive: Click Here

Volare Model Products has a kit for a catapult glider F-4E: CLG F-4 kit
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2020 at 7:11pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

F-4H PHANATOM II
Jun 4th, 2020 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Anybody ever draw up a plan for a catapult launched glider based on the F-4H Phantom !!?

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint