Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic UHU Liquid Glue (Read 167 times)
staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: UHU Liquid Glue
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
A little late, but...

I have been using UHU Hart for nearly 50 years and have found it to be excellent - if used correctly!

For most of my rc builds where speed is not that essential, but sanding is required, I use it full strength or thinned SLIGHTLY (~10%) with Acetone and DO double glue.

For nearly ALL of my FF models, it gets thinned between 40 and 50% with acetone - again double gluing (in most cases).  The glue joints should be WELL fitted (as when using CA) and held immovable for about 20 seconds - the thinned glue WILL be set and can be handled.  Dry within 2 minutes.

The stuff is almost as strong as a well-fitted CA joint and almost as hard, so one has to keep squeeze-out as little as possible.  The BIG advantage over CA and even white/alipathic is that a soaking with acetone and a tiny bit of patience will loosen the joint enough to move and usually does not need extra glue.

I use a glue syringe with a 0.2mm ID nozzle for small builds up to 24" span.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2020 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Mixed results so far. Quick drying, much like Testors. After assembling the box fuselage, I had several pieces come unglued through normal handling. Likely that this wouldn't have happened if another type of glue had been used (CA or SIG).

At this point, it performs much like the Testors model cement but may be a little stronger. Haven't tried thinning it and using double gluing.

I may end up using it for where I want a quick bond in areas that would have minimum stress.

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Smiley Smiley Smiley
I mostly use UHU HART balsa glue.
I find it excellent.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Always looking for a different type of adhesive but always seem to go back to my trusted thinned white glue and thin CA for fuselages. Looking forward to your work and analysis.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

UHU Liquid Glue
Jun 18th, 2020 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I saw this on Ebay and gave it a try. Took forever to arrive from England, but may be quicker from Amazon.

This is sold as a balsa glue. It looks a lot like a tube of Testors but the similarity seems to end there. I'm currently using it to build a box fuselage using 1/16" stringers, and it is working out well. Very quick drying and seems to hold well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Perhaps is a good candidate for those who like to thin other similar types of glue (Duco, etc).

https://www.amazon.com/UHU-HART-ADHESIVE-MODELLING-CEMENT/dp/B00L9HI16I/ref=sr_1...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint