Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) THE HUN! (Read 666 times)
Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: THE HUN!
Reply #31 - yesterday at 10:19am
Print Post  
I've found myself modeling a Vietnam-era Hun that got away with serving its tour without the standard camouflage of the campaign.  Not only that, but this particular unit carried on with some traditional markings used during WW2, like distinct aircraft names and nose-art, and bomb symbols for mission sorties.

So I've been busy installing panel markings, control surface separation lines, etc...done a bit of mixin' n' matchin'...got markings for a D on a model that is probably meant to be an A or a C...but no matter.  Wink  Really, it's a question of how many lines are enough and how many are too much...this is a simple Comet Model after all...what to add, what to leave off.

Approaching the canopy-struggles stage.  This will definitely be a tether-flyer, though who knows if it will ever be flown.  I'm just pleased that it looks like a Hun!  Smiley Grin Grin Grin

Neal

( 138 KB | 15 Downloads )
f-100-P1190827.jpg
( 51 KB | 13 Downloads )
f-100-P1190828.jpg
( 66 KB | 13 Downloads )
f-100-P1190832.jpg
( 59 KB | 14 Downloads )
f-100-P1190833.jpg
( 58 KB | 12 Downloads )
f-100-P1190834.jpg
( 58 KB | 12 Downloads )
f-100-P1190836.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Looking great Neal...
For those who would like a bit more history of the development of the "Hun" here's a link to a plastic model site re: the Monogram 1/72 scale model.  Note the 1980 price!  Hun History

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #29 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Here's what we're shootin' for...481st TFS 27th TFW, Tan Son Nhut AB 1965.  Flew in from Cannon AFB, NM in June and began flying ground support operations the same day.  Left for home six months later after having flown 3,600 sorties.  The 481st was led by Lt.Col. Hal Comstock, a WWII P-47 ace.  The CO's Hun carried his P-47 skull insignia and seven Luftwaffe kill markings.  He definitely believed in allowing his boys to adorn their aircraft...within reason.  "Pretty Penny" was a 481st F-100D Super Sabre piloted by 1Lt. Jerry Sloame and Penny was his wife.

I should add that Harold "Bunny" Comstock was one of Hub Zemke's boys...a member of the 56th FG during WW2.

Neal
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2020 at 8:23pm by Kerak »  

( 40 KB | 27 Downloads )
285.jpg
( 90 KB | 29 Downloads )
481_TFS_Pretty_Penny.jpg
( 45 KB | 44 Downloads )
f-100-63285.jpg
( 47 KB | 24 Downloads )
Hal_Bunny_Comstock_56FG.jpeg
( 74 KB | 21 Downloads )
LtCol_Comstock_Zemkes_Wolfpack_in_VN.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #28 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
She looks great!! Smiley

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
As I said..."covered."  I think she's gonna end up a tethered flyer...never done that before...but that's what Comet designed her to be.  Al would have liked that.  Wink

Neal

( 59 KB | 28 Downloads )
f-100-covered.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #26 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Kerak wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:05pm:
Hun is now covered complete...time to start thinking about details.

Ever wonder about those "missing numbers" in the Century Series?  Here they are...all attained mockup stage, most got to at least one prototype...and nearly beyond.  All were pushing the envelope of men, materials, and technology.  My personal feeling is that the 1950's were a period of aeronautical genius in our country...what today's generation aircraft are built upon.  Neal

Thanks for filling in the missing numbers and I agree about the 50's.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #25 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Hun is now covered complete...time to start thinking about details.

Ever wonder about those "missing numbers" in the Century Series?  Here they are...all attained mockup stage, most got to at least one prototype...and nearly beyond.  All were pushing the envelope of men, materials, and technology.  My personal feeling is that the 1950's were a period of aeronautical genius in our country...what today's generation aircraft are built upon.

Neal

( 144 KB | 20 Downloads )
Republic_XF-103_Thunderwarrior.JPG
( 112 KB | 21 Downloads )
F-North_American_107A_Ulta_Sabre.jpg
( 134 KB | 19 Downloads )
North_American_XF-108_Rapier.jpg
( 103 KB | 19 Downloads )
Bell_XF109_Vertistar.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing that great painting of the Hun!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #23 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks Andy, Tom...that's pretty much the point of the film and the "Century Series," know your airplane.  I've seen that film many times over the years, and gone from being totally mystified as to what was happening...to a terrible feeling of sadness because I appreciate that I'm looking at the final seconds of a man's life.  Barty Brooks was guilty of flying what he knew best...which wasn't a Super Sabre.  I've read many accounts of pilots who viewed that tragic film...and then encountered "the dance," and because they realized what was happening...were able to react and fly out of the situation.  Lt. Brook's ultimately saved more than a few lives.

I've only heard of one man that ever intentionally put a Super Sabre into "the dance," and that was Bob Hoover.  We all know that he was top of the line.

That was the Century Series of aircraft...innovative...radical...the best in the world  and their pilots were the best as well.

My Comet 100 fuselage is 2/3's covered...many little tissue panels.  Smiley

Neal

( 80 KB | 20 Downloads )
e79ca43acdf826d61f4e28b49c431ab4.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I'm sure y'all know the Century Series fighters but just in case here's a picture...some of my favorite jets!!!

Not a pleasant video but the "Sabre Dance" Neal referred to: Sabre Dance

Just found this video: Super Sabre-Behind the Wing: Click Here
Sky9pilot

( 232 KB | 21 Downloads )
century_series.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
That was scary when I saw it in pilot training. Wasn't sure what the lesson was other than don't screw up. The landing pattern could be an unforgiving place for anyone not paying attention.

Otherwise, neat model!!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Looking good Neal!  Makes me want to build a bigger version myself!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #19 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Installing some skin on the bones...slow but relaxing.  Using a neutral color...light grey, ersatz aluminum...lots of small panels.

Maybe I'm leaning toward a pre-Vietnam scheme...very many to choose from.

Neal

( 33 KB | 27 Downloads )
f-100-meat_on_the_bone.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I've viewed the video of the "Sabre Dance" several times while building my Sabre!  That second picture would make a fantastic model all those bright colors!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Thanks Tom!

A word about the Super Sabre and it's infamous dance....

Up until the advent of the F-100, all jet fighters had utilized the aeronautical engineering of WW2...the P-80, F-84, and F-86 all flew, for the most part, like WW2 fighter aircraft...all were subsonic.  The next series of fighter aircraft, known as the Century Series (100's) incorporated a radically new engineering approach in a quest for ultimate performance.  As such, they could not be flown like a P-51 or a Thunderbolt.  In fact, while these new aircraft were literally "out-of-this-world" in performance, they were also dangerous to a passive flyer.  They were the world's best aircraft, and demanded the same of their pilots (here's to you, Andy).  On 10 January 1956, 1Lt. B.R.Brooks found that out, the hard way.

In it's quest for a supersonic fighter, North American's F-100 Super Sabre had a tradeoff...it's stall characteristics were sudden and vicious.  Where the "lines crossed (airspeed and angle of attack)" happened fast, with the aircraft's nose rising uncontrollably...which in turn worsened the stall (further loss of airspeed and control surface response).  Low and slow were very touchy, in landing as well as takeoff...proscribed stall recovery procedure was to simultaneously advance the throttle to full, stick full forward, and opposite rudder input...pretty standard.  The real challenge was at low altitude...timing was critical.  North American knew all of this and indicated as such in the Pilot's Flight Manual.  Hun landings tended to be fairly "hot," avoidance of "the dance."

Brooks was making a ferry flight from Palmdale (LA) to George AFB (75mi) but because of a perceived nose wheel issue, decided to divert to Edwards AFB.  Brooks was an experienced F-51/F-84/F-86 pilot, but had minimal flight time in the Hun.  With the runway foamed at Edwards, he swung into a quick touchdown...only to note that he was going to be short of the foam.  He slightly raised the nose of his aircraft...without advancing throttle.  The nose suddenly rose dramatically (he had already crossed the "line").  Brooks pushed the stick forward...with minimal effect.  He was now in the "sabre dance!"  The nose continued to rise higher while Brooks fought the stick.  The Hun wandered off to the left of the runway...and then Brooks sealed his fate by igniting the afterburner (instead of advancing to full throttle, opposite rudder, and full stick forward).  The afterburner raised the nose even further, with the aircraft "falling" off to starboard (can't fly sideways) and crashing into the ground.  Brooks was a fatality in spite of fire personnel extinguishing the flames within less than thirty seconds.

This entire sequence of events occurred in slightly less than twenty seconds, beginning to end.  Because it took place at Edwards where cameras were already set up for other events, the entire incident was caught on film...a film that was promptly shown over and over again.  The emphasis was obviously that familiarization was all important and to be taken seriously.  Brooks probably would have survived had he approached the Hun for the advanced aircraft that it was.

Neal

( 121 KB | 24 Downloads )
Infamous_Sabre_Dance_Edwards_AFB_10_Jan_1956.jpg
( 45 KB | 25 Downloads )
An_F-100C_Super_Saber_from_the_479th_TFW__George_AFB_1958.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint