Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I've wandered back down an old pathway once more. (Read 244 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: I've wandered back down an old pathway once more.
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Found this on Amazon, haven't used it myself but thought you might want to check it out: EZ Line click here

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom...there's a story behind those pen n' ink drawings.  Way back when I was young...created that model with the idea of then photographing it to use as a subject for the artwork.  Wife got the wonderful idea that I should create multiple sets to give as "inexpensive" Christmas gifts!  What?!!!  Soooo...being more or less poor at that age (still in the service)...I proceeded to do just that...two more sets.  I vowed never to do such a thing again!  Of course today, one merely trips over to Office Depot to have them reproduced.  Roll Eyes

I'm now at the point of searching for rigging material...not just any old string...got to be multiple wound strands...like hemp rope...and can't be adorned with "fuzz."  I'm slipping back into my 44 years of ship-building lethargy...no hurry.  Wink  Incidentally, there are no "ropes" on a sailing vessel, only lines, halyards, stays, shrouds, sheets, cables, etc...unless it's a rope to hang someone from the yardarm.  So please pardon my use of the word "rope."  Shocked

Time to multi-task...build an airplane model.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Neal,
I've always thought of modelers as being artist...but you're hiding skills beyond modeling!! You're ship is outstanding and so are those drawings!  Well Done! Smiley

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Hi again, Mike...pretty difficult to get away from the Hudson Bay Company (HBC).  Town I grew up in is named after a some-what crazy HBC senior official, trader and explorer named Peter Skene Ogden...and that's located in northern Utah!  At least when I was a schoolboy, it would have been impossible to not encounter at least a local history involving the HBC.

Consider this Mike...Henry Hudson was a "failed explorer" searching for the elusive Northwest Passage...four expeditions, one for a rival nation (the Dutch)...ultimately marooned/abandoned by his own people (for diplomatic reasons)....  To have one of Britain's most important trading companies (the other being the East India Company) take up his name as an official moniker...how could any Canadian NOT know that history?  Kudos to your wife! Smiley

You might even consider that the North-West Mounted Police was formed to protect the interests of the HBC as well as Canadians in general.  Wink

HBC is truly an AMERICAN institution.  Too bad Henry's people aren't collecting royalties...he really was an obscure historical figure.  Very little is known of his personal history...really, only for those years 1607-1611.  No one went out to rescue HH because it had become diplomatically expedient that he "remain lost."  Nor was his mutinous crew prosecuted!

Neal

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Neal - Not so sure about the kids here learning history but the history of the Hudson Bay is deep in the mind of my wife. We were driving down one of the local expressways the other day and passed the Hudson's dept. store. She remarked that the name had changed over the years and how it has endured for about 40 years in this area and then went on to discuss the Hudson Bay Company in depth. She also has quite a bit of knowledge about the American invasion of Canada. There is an historical marker along of the several rivers here proclaiming a location of a Canadian/American Skirmish. Went there and nothing but the sign. There may be deeper education here but is beyond my understanding, at least as far as the nephews are concerned, nothing there about local history.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2020 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Thanks Mike...I too find modeling airplanes enjoyable...a bit more relaxing than wooden ship models...but this is a "job" now...got to finish it up or it runs the risk of never getting done at all!  No.3 son and granddaughter came over the other night for a visit...his comment was, "Wow!  I've seen that model all my life (he's 40 years old) and never have I seen you actually do anything with it.  It's come to life again!"

I asked my granddaughter (a high school sophomore) if she'd ever heard of Henry Hudson.  She shook her head "no."  How about the Hudson River or Hudson Bay?  Oh yes (I have my doubts).  That about says it all for public education today.  Needless to say, she is now familiar with the detailed story of the intrepid Northwest Passage explorer.  Wink Grin  What's going on with education today?!  Huh  I'll bet there isn't a kid up your way Mike, that doesn't know the story of Henry Hudson...or at least I hope they do?!  Maybe it's that his story isn't the stuff of Hollywood movies?  Cool  If a kid doesn't see it in the movies...it doesn't exist.... Roll Eyes

Maybe I should add this...the very first plank-on-frame ship model that I constructed 50 years ago was honestly inspired by my experience building stick n' tissue models.  It was a simple application of that education toward creating a ship's hull...literally.  In fact, I used balsa for that initial model!  Worked out wonderfully!  Somewhere, I've got a photo of that original model.  In any event...you're correct Tom...a simple application of learned modeling techniques...I owe it all to model airplanes!  A hull is just another kind of fuselage....Smiley

Neal

PS...sorry for more of this...original balsa plank-on-frame galleon model...and pen-and-ink drawings created from its photos....
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2020 at 3:31pm by Kerak »  

( 87 KB | 16 Downloads )
deadeyes_channels_n_chains_1.jpg
( 79 KB | 14 Downloads )
deadeyes_channels_n_chains_2.jpg
( 92 KB | Downloads )
Galleon01.jpg
( 106 KB | Downloads )
Galleon02.jpg
( 159 KB | Downloads )
Galleon_1970.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Neal - your work is extraordinary as usual and a great ship and challenge. I thought about ship building for about one day and took a decidedly simpler course, airplanes. The Swedish war ship is a magnificent restoration and should inspire awe for anyone looking at it. My guess is that the restoration probably took twice as long as the original construction. Was watching a History channel piece about sunken ships and there was a piece on a ship unearthed under the streets of San Francisco (close to my old stomping grounds). San Francisco is built mostly on landfill and when digging a new foundation they discovered this ship, dug it out and restored it. Great work in retreiving our history.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom.  Rigging a ship model (plastic or otherwise) can be a bit overwhelming, to say the least.  I finally came to a satisfactory approach...break the entire procedure down into very small parts...and then focus..."don't look down."  Grin Grin Grin  Take it all in tiny steps.

I've traveled all over the world (fortunate to be able to have done that)...and spent a lot of time "looking" for history.  Oh, one can return to the "spot," but generally, signs of the event are long gone...or much altered by time.  I had the good fortune to be in Stockholm once upon a time...visited the WASA museum...17th century Swedish warship...raised from the harbor bottom after 400 years.  Talk about a piece of woodwork!  Remarkable...absolutely on the top of my list for anyone looking to rediscover history.  I would never have imagined anything constructed of wood...being so massive!

Deadeyes...78 of them...took 2 days...birch.  Can be purchased...but what's the fun of that?  Wink Grin Grin Grin

Neal

( 111 KB | 26 Downloads )
Stockholm_-_Wasa.jpg
( 130 KB | 24 Downloads )
Stockholm_-_Wasa-port_galleries.jpg
( 76 KB | 26 Downloads )
Deadeyes.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Looking great.  I love the old sailing vessels!  Did a Cutty Sark plastic kit many moons ago.  Was great fun and I hear you on the rigging!  What a challenge.  Looked great when done but what an intensive task. 
Your hull looks great!  I've never tried a planked over frame hull!  That seems like a big enough challenge, not counting the rigging that comes later! 
Thanks for sharing this with us.  The modeling skills directly translate to our Free Flight hobby!

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

I've wandered back down an old pathway once more.
Sep 26th, 2020 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Hey, not dead yet...just venturing back down an old pathway.  Many years ago I tried my hand at making wooden sailing ship models.  I found it to be very enjoyable...but a bit time-intensive...takes forever to rig a ship model!  I was successful enough to have the good fortune to sell a couple of examples...but believe me, while materials were "cheap," time was invaluable.

I set myself the challenge of scaling up a plastic model of the Half Moon (Henry Hudson)...kit was 1:170...very small.  My scratch-built version a tad larger (I've forgotten what scale it is...).  Wink Grin  Got the hull constructed (plank on frame), but that's where everything ground to a halt...had two more sons...constructed a new home...and so my partially-finished model has sat around for 44 years now...collecting dust.

Decided to go back to working on it.  By now...lost the small plastic kit...but discovered a sail/rigging plan on the web...enlarged it to fit the hull size...and so it's all re-commenced.

No balsa wood...all very hard (relative to) stuff...but really, the wood-working is nothing when compared to the rigging.  I've always dreaded dealing with shrouds, ratlines, and deadeyes!  Shocked

Neal

( 56 KB | 20 Downloads )
Lindberg_Models_1-170_a.jpg
( 109 KB | 24 Downloads )
Half_Moon_1609_fig_01.jpg
( 106 KB | 23 Downloads )
Half_Moon_1609_fig_02.jpg
( 148 KB | 22 Downloads )
HALF_MOON.jpg
( 166 KB | 22 Downloads )
Half_Moon_1609_fig_03.jpg
( 118 KB | 23 Downloads )