Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Peck-Polymers P-51 (Read 1264 times)
Airman Smith

Facta non verba

Re: Peck-Polymers P-51
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Neoflight

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to be sure to pick up sewing pins next time I'm out & about. I'll still try to use medium CA instead of thin CA.

Mustang's progress is coming along. Right wing half is done. All that's needed now is to construct the rest of the wing, fit those pieces together, sand everything smooth, then it's off to covering! Smiley

Pics will be added later today.

Amn Smith

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Airman,

Your P-51 is looking very nice. Looking at your fuselage shots one can see your use if CA. Perhaps I'm viewing it incorrectly but it appears the glue has wicked not only into the joint, but also into the surrounding wood. Maybe contributing to your glued fingers. I've found that, particularly in this hobby, getting by with the least amount of adhesive (whatever you use) is the best policy. Not only does less mean easier sanding but perhaps most importantly, a definite reduction in the all up weight of the finished craft. A neat little trick is to find a sewing needle of moderate size and file away the top portion of the eye leaving a "u" shape. Into a small cap, bottle cap will do, Express a small amount of ca glue into it. When go to glue the joint, dip the eye of needle into the glue and touch it to the point you wish to join. Be patient and wait for the CA to cure. Repeat if necessary. This way you are putting glue only where needed. Hope this helps.

Neoflight

IP Logged

Airman Smith

Facta non verba

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I do have other cements. I have Sig-bond, Sig-ment, some testors wood/metal cement, and a little super glue. I can use those whenever, but the one thing that prohibits me from doing so is my patience.  Roll Eyes
As promised, I have current build pictures of my current progress. Two involve a messy before shot and a clean after shot that show the value of sanding. I do have some doubts and key points that I wish could've gone better with the fuse build. Overall, however, I'm really proud with how this turned out. As my first P-P build in almost a year, and second model from the P-P line, I have high Hope's for this bird. I am getting another Mustang, but that'll be an RC conversion (if I can manage!).
Tomorrow is the elevator and rudder, as per instructions.

( 364 KB | Downloads )
rsz_20200929_100402.jpg
( 348 KB | Downloads )
rsz_20200929_102952.jpg
( 373 KB | Downloads )
rsz_20200929_114250.jpg
( 386 KB | Downloads )
rsz_20200929_193953.jpg

Amn Smith

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
You might want to consider Duco thinned with 50/50 acetone.  Double glue (which means apply glue to both pieces and let set for a minute. Then apply glue to one piece and place together.  Pin in place and let dry. 30 minutes minimum)  Works great and is pretty fast for building.  But your joints need to be accurate in fitting together.  I would encourage using emery boards to sand the excess glue from the joints you can get a big package of them at the Dollar Store.  I look forward to see your progress.  Hard to beat a P-51! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Airman Smith

Facta non verba

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the tip. I do have a thin nozzle tip, but it keeps clogging, so I always have to re-open the hole with a pin (I should order more, to be honest). Maybe I should open my window so I don't inhale the fumes more than I already have.

I knew from the first time I used this thin CA I knew I messed up. It's runny and it has stuck to my fingers too many times. It went under the cling wrap and onto my plans. Luckily, I was able to take off the parts and wrap with pretty much no damage to the plans (I always save them). I even saw wisps of (smoke?) when I used it at certain times. Next time, I should just go with the medium stuff and order more fine nozzles.

Anyways, the fuse is almost built up. Pictures of progress will be up soon. Just need to add a few more parts, sand it smooth, and that'll be one step closer to it's maiden!

Amn Smith

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Good start.  You might want to look at the super glue tips that help keep the amount of glue to a really small amount per application.  Check out the glue section for links.

Be careful inhaling the fumes, they're highly irritating to the mucus membranes.

Sky9pilot

( 53 KB | Downloads )
p51-4463350-main.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Airman Smith

Facta non verba

Peck-Polymers P-51
Sep 28th, 2020 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
First off, apologies. I have left this site for about 10 months now. I was in a cook up once upon a time, but never got past the stage of entering it. Tongue Guess that's what happens when other hobbies get in the way.
Anyways, I'll try to come back and be a little more active here. And what better way to come back than to post a build. I ordered a new P-P Mustang kit from their website, along with tissue, thin CA (I'll regret this), and some small accessories. I'm hoping to build my mustang into the "LOU IV" version (The blue version, not the OD green one).
Already got one fuse half completed, the second will hopefully be done tomorrow. Here's to a successful build and flight!

( 385 KB | Downloads )
rsz_120200928_193525.jpg
( 72 KB | Downloads )
rsz_20200928_200134.jpg

Amn Smith

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint