Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comet Model's Battle of Britain Trio (Read 727 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: Comet Model's Battle of Britain Trio
Reply #24 - Oct 18th, 2020 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Fine looking work there Neal and great choices to model. I too like the building part and the finishing, details everywhere should bring these airplanes to life.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #23 - Oct 18th, 2020 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom...the sticks go together pretty quickly...routinely...but then comes the detail...like "hard points" for accessory attachment.  Don't want to rely upon tissue to support such things as oil coolers/radiators/air intakes/struts/on-n'-on.  The Hurricane structure seemed to have these points already created as part of the design...but not so on the Emil.  Besides...I love the "stick" part of SnT.  Smiley Cheesy

Here are the final bone-shots of the Hurricane as well as a detail shot of Emil's motor peg support (same idea on the Hurricane).  Comet's 109 design features some minor formers for a B/C/D version ventral fuselage oil cooler...NOT the E (mil) version.  Comet's version has been omitted.  Will need to create the proper shaped unit.  Details, details. Lips Sealed

Incidentally...ever wondered about the difference between the E-3 and an E-4?  Sure you have.... Wink  Two canopies for the Emil...E-4 introduced a more robust, boxy affair...easier to manufacture.  Also fitted with "armored glass" windscreen.  Both the E-3 and E-4 served alongside one another during the Battle of Britain.  Ok...there are additional differences, but all minor (for you purists).  Can be very confusing. Wink

Neal

( 101 KB | 14 Downloads )
Comet_Model_Airplane_Company_1941_Kit_A36_Hawker_Hurricane_1.jpg
( 110 KB | 11 Downloads )
Comet_Model_Airplane_Company_1941_Kit_A36_Hawker_Hurricane_2.jpg
( 122 KB | 12 Downloads )
Emils_Motor_Peg_Support_P1200081.jpg
( 80 KB | 11 Downloads )
Bf109E-3_and_E-4.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
The Kerak Aircraft Restoration Co. is doing an outstanding job on these aircraft!  And very fast in the process!  Well Done! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #21 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Emil's fuselage has shaped up....

Neal
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:26pm by Kerak »  

( 47 KB | 10 Downloads )
P1200074.jpg
( 42 KB | 11 Downloads )
P1200075.jpg
( 58 KB | 12 Downloads )
P1200077.jpg
( 65 KB | 15 Downloads )
P1200079.jpg
( 44 KB | 12 Downloads )
P1200080.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #20 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Emil's fuselage box....

( 43 KB | 17 Downloads )
Bf109E_P1200073.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #19 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 9:24am
Print Post  
All bone-work on the Hurricane has been completed....

Framing has commenced on subject two...Willy Messerschmitt's Bf109E.  It appears that Comet designed it's model as an earlier version...lacking wing-mounted radiators, etc...but I'm partial to the E (Emil).  So there will be a few added details in order to give this model the correct look.  I've discovered over the years that just about the only way to get a reasonable Emil, is to scratch build it.  Guillows 109's are pre-E's...Sterling's old kit was an F/G.  To make things even more frustrating for the modeler, kit manufacturers delight in showing an Emil on the box-art...only to have something else inside!

So....got the wings completed.  Incidentally, if one does a bit of research, seems Ernst Heinkel's He-100 was actually the superior design during competition...but the powers-that-be decided that he should concentrate upon creating bomber aircraft...so Willy won.

Neal

( 49 KB | 13 Downloads )
P1200072.jpg
( 105 KB | 20 Downloads )
Guillows_Messerschmitt_Bf_109B.jpg
( 80 KB | 21 Downloads )
Sterling_Models_Kit_A8_17inws_Messerschmitt_Bf_109G2_002.jpg
( 48 KB | 20 Downloads )
Battle_of_Britain_Emil.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2020 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
This is an opportunity to educate myself concerning a marvelous historical aircraft!  Finally found some info concerning that aft ventrally located fin that streamlines the tail wheel.  Seems that for whatever reason, during spin trials it was discovered that air flow to the lower portion of the rudder was blocked, making recovery slower than desired.  The fin cured that problem as well as adding some favorable streamlining to the fixed tail wheel.  Hurricanes began to be fitted with the ventral fin by late 1938...but the older fin-less models still went to war.  Just in case anyone was interested.... Wink Grin Grin

I've discovered that I actually have a Hurricane out in my garage at the moment...well, not exactly.  I've got an old MG that reminds me of the same kind of technology used by Hawker for their Hurricane...a lot of old...and a bit of new.  It would have seemed the old technology would have made the Hurricane outmoded...and yet it was that facet that actually made the Hurricane easily serviced in the field!  My MG...even I can mechanic on that car...but sitting next to her is my Nissan 350Z Roadster that has something like 7 on-board computers!  I pop the bonnet and ask, "Where's the carburetor?" That's my Spitfire.  Smiley Grin Grin Grin

Neal

( 53 KB | 16 Downloads )
Hurricane-I-RAF-257Sqn-DTA-Stanford-Tuck-V6555-England-1940-0A.jpg
( 54 KB | 14 Downloads )
Shuttleworth_Hurricanes_2019.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2020 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Great set of bones...looks like a Hurri to me! Smiley

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2020 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Good job, Tom...Camm certainly was an influential man in the annuals of aviation.  It's amazing how far he went in life from such modest beginnings!  Very different times.  Today one has to be festooned with all manner of accolades and diplomas just to start!  Huh

Hurri's wings in place (temp)...except for those tailing edge fillet pieces...got to decide if I want to make them part of the wing now...or wait until things are covered and attached...then deal with all fillet issues.  Also...underside radiator/scoops/tail wheel/prop/exhaust stacks, etc.

Neal

( 57 KB | 24 Downloads )
P1200067.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Sir Sydney was an amazing man!  I borrowed from Wikipedia and some pics from the net but we have recognition of Sir Sydney Camm on Free Flight Archive:Sir Sydney Camm click here

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Gotcha, Mike...beautiful model (Culver Dart)! Smiley  Super job!  Beers are over at your thread.  Wink

My dearest old friend spent much of his life as a mining engineer.  He came to work in my office and was forever having to be reminded that we first had to go through all the procurement paperwork...we couldn't just go out and "do it" (government).  That's why I'm so amazed and impressed with Sir Sydney Camm's "get it done" approach...when he began construction of 600 (actual number) of his new Hurricane fighters without so much as the official sanction of a government contract!  He had that much faith in his design and the need of his country.  He knew how bureaucracy would drag its feet...in spite of the urgency of RAF's need.  Camm put his reputation and career on the line...Hawker could have "eaten" that expense...but because he recognized what was at stake, those critical aircraft were there a mere three years later with the outbreak of war.  Thank God (and Sir Sydney Camm) for decisive action!

Got the ribs cutout for Hurri's wings.  Plan calls for 1/16" stripwood on edge for LE...and for TE as well.  That make me nervous.  I like 3/32" on edge for the LE and 1/8" x 1/16" for TE.  Tissue shrinking can do a real number on skinny 1/16"sq wood at those locations.

Neal

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Nice work Neal, very clean nice representation of the dime scale days. Nice photo of Sir Sydney Camm, Free Flight was definitely alive and well then too. I was looking back through my history on aero modelling and we can look to Alphonse Penaud for an early example of Free Flight. Not exactly an airplane but the advent of the twisted rubber motor was certainly there. Also gave a push to two famous brothers and boy did they take modelling to another level.
Mike

PS - Drop by my thread, you owe me.

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Good point about Sir Sydney Camm, I'll look into that!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Good morning, everyone!  Hurri has grown an empennage overnight.  Wink

It seems apparent that Sir Sydney Camm should be added to the list of heroes of the Battle of Britain.  Camm was Hawker's (Sopwith) Chief engineer and director for many years (1920's onward).  Had it not been for his innovative and proactive approach to the welfare of his nation, Great Britain would probably not have survived the onslaught of 1940.

Sir Sydney Camm, CBE, FRAeS (5 August 1893 – 12 March 1966) was an English aeronautical engineer who contributed to many Hawker aircraft designs, from the biplanes of the 1920s to jet fighters. One particularly notable aircraft he designed was the Hawker Hurricane fighter.

Here's a photo of Camm in 1915...he was one with us.  Smiley

Sydney Camm seen here at Windsor Model Aeroplane Club during Circa 1915. Looking on is what is probably his wife and two young sons. His favourite hobby was making model aircraft, here he is no doubt thrilling his boys with his stories of his inventions.

Neal

( 54 KB | 22 Downloads )
P1200066.jpg
( 73 KB | 19 Downloads )
Sydney_Camm_1915.jpg
( 54 KB | 13 Downloads )
Sir_sydney_camm_tyhpoon_tempest.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom...was reading that during the Battle of Britain, for every Spitfire that flew in defense of the home island...there were three Hurricanes...and even at that...we're talking hundreds...not thousands.  RAF was seriously limited in equipment and pilots by comparison with its opponent.

Hurricane was a "private venture" initiated in 1934 to take advantage of Rolls-Royce's new V12...the Merlin C engine.  Hawker was so confident of their creation that they commenced the manufacture of a thousand aircraft WITHOUT a government contract!  Imagine the political chaos such an action would engender in this country today!!!  They were justified...four months later...got the contract.  Even then...only a fraction of that number were on hand at the beginning of WW2.  By that time, Hawker along with Gloster was frantically rolling them out.  Last Hurricane came off the line in 1944...14,000 units later.

Here's my Comet Hurricane fuselage.  Notice the lack of that ventral fin beneath the aft fuselage.  Many Hurricane I's were produced without it.  Interesting that by 1941 when Comet introduced their kit, they hadn't added it.

Hurricane II, which was the dominant version produced, had four 20mm cannon mounted in the wings...and provided excellent ground support.

Neal

( 86 KB | 19 Downloads )
Comet_Models_Dimer_Hurricane_Fuselage.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint