Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comet Model's Battle of Britain Trio (Read 13263 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: Comet Model's Battle of Britain Trio
Reply #83 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 7:34am
Print Post  
More superb work, well done. Looking forward to the colors.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #82 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 7:28am
Print Post  
emil's prop installed....

( 39 KB | 53 Downloads )
P1200195.jpg
( 31 KB | 47 Downloads )
P1200196.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #81 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Movie 109 definitely!  Seen a lot of them in the movies! 

I hear you on the colors.  When I was a member of the IPMS  you could get grilled over the paint schemes...but as I aged and read... paint was hard to come by and not always available in the same consistancy as the original RLM specs.  Often they did with what they had on both sides of the war!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #80 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
A movie 109!  That's what goes through my mind whenever I see those Spanish versions.  Grin  Notice...the wing has F/G tips...and it almost looks as though the leading edge slats have been rendered nonfunctional.

Well...was doing the topside in dark grey...but ran out...so switched to light grey on wings and horz stab.  No matter...gonna need to paint anyway.  There are so many variations on color schemes that I almost think it's a free-for-all...just fake it...no one knows reality anymore anyway! 

Here's a couple of interesting photos of the aircraft I'm modeling...adorned with a bunch of kids and their leaders!  Seems the Luftwaffe used Luftwaffe Hitler Jungend as help for menial airfield tasks...and this group is having their portraits taken with the "Aces's" aircraft...that of Hauptman Wilhelm Baltasar.  To add insult to the situation...the youth leather then has his photo taken inside the cockpit!  I can imagine some senior NCO's thought as he looks on, "Get your boot off my supercharger air intake!"  By 1943, those "kids" were manning the FLAK batteries around Berlin....

Neal

( 48 KB | 47 Downloads )
P1200190.jpg
( 39 KB | 55 Downloads )
P1200192.jpg
( 98 KB | 50 Downloads )
Kriegshilfseinsatz_der_Jugend_bei_der_Luftwaffe_-Youth_War_Assistance_Service_in_the_Air_Force.jpg
( 107 KB | 51 Downloads )
Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-1_JG1-White-1-Wilhelm-Balthasar-belly-landed-1940-03.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #79 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Outstanding...this is looking very good.  I have a picture of the Spanish 109 with the merlin engine and I've thought of converting Comet's 109 to that version.  Just a thought.  Too many planes not enough time!

( 208 KB | 55 Downloads )
2831393.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #78 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
emil is gaining some skin....

( 49 KB | 64 Downloads )
P1200181.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #77 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 11:43am
Print Post  
With your tube bushing, if you didn't mind a wire out of the front of the spinner, you could file a ramp in the tube for a free wheeler.  But as you put it... a little more complicated for these simple builds.

( 41 KB | 59 Downloads )
freewheelingrampsrightandlefthanded3_002_001.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #76 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Emil's prop being fabricated...truly a very simple process...nothing sophisticated about this...no free-wheeling mechanism...I'll leave that to the "experten."  This is a variation on the theme of taking a short length of square basswood...cutting two opposing 45 degree angles on each end...the gluing prop blade blanks in place.  The idea is to shore it all up by saturating the center hub with ca.  Again...I've used flat blades cut from very hard 1/16" sheet balsa...but there's nothing to prevent a modeler from carving from thick sheet...or even bending the blades by one of various methods...whatever turns your crank.  Ahhhh...note the aluminum tube bearing...BEWARE getting ca inside that tube...or the entire process is a bust.  When ca is set...cut tubing flush...clean things up with fine sand paper...then shape blade edges with emery boards.  Paint...and you're all set.  Wink

Neal

Cutting the angle slots for the blades to fit into is the tedious part...requires a very sharp no.11 blade...be careful.  Set whatever angle you've decided upon...notice: on the real deal, blades at the hub generally have a big bite (pitch)...but at the tips, practically none at all.  Flat blades...it's the same, base to tip...curved blades, you can duplicate the real thing.  Next trick is to get the blades all on the same plane, i.e., as in a flat disk.  Turning the prop on a shaft...before gluing is the trick.  When satisfied...fix in place with ca....  Also...before gluing...continually check blade alignment on a circle divided (for 3 blades) into 130 degree lines.  I shape the blade base like a knife edge...literally shoved into the hub slot tightly...it'll hold long enough for me to make all these adjustments...before fixing with ca.  Clear?  Right.  Crude but efficient....

( 69 KB | 59 Downloads )
Comet_Prop_Fabrication.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #75 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Speaking of personal color schemes...I'm certain everyone has seen an illustration of Erich Hartmann's JG52 Bf109G "Karaya 1," the black tulip-nosed Messerschmitt that he flew during a period of time on the Eastern Front.  By Hartmann's own admission, that fancy scheme, meant to dramatically proclaim his presence, worked against him.  He suddenly found himself flying missions during which he encountered no enemy aircraft at all!  Word traveled fast...whenever Karaya 1 was spotted, all Soviet aircraft became "scarce."  Hartmann eventually figured the situation out and ordered the scheme to be "standardized."

Neal

( 30 KB | 43 Downloads )
Hartmann_Bf109G.jpg
( 42 KB | 51 Downloads )
Hartmann.jpg
( 67 KB | 55 Downloads )
Budesluftwaffe_Ahlhorn_AFB_Pilot_Erich_Hartmann.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #74 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 7:29am
Print Post  
That's what I should be doing, Tom...those blades would lend themselves well to the baked-tin-can method, but I'm too lazy...just flat with a tiny bit of shaping using a sanding block.  In the past I've used vinyl blades cut at an angle from a bleach bottle (flexible), but the blade edges are ugly since they can't be sanded to shape.  Oh well....

Have arrived at the final subject of our trio...the Bf109E4...what scheme to apply?  While the RAF schemes were fairly consistent, the Luftwaffe schemes of the period were all over the place, really a mix n' match even within individual staffels (squadrons).  There were RLM directives, yes...but they were rapidly changing and paint availability, not to mention application opportunities presented problems.  Add to that...I believe German aircrew were a bit taken with the individualism of the previous war...the idea of the "flying circus."  So one looks for a constant...which is there to a degree...but encounters a personal motif, especially in staff aircraft.

Here's where I'm going with this scheme....  It's interesting that while Balthasar was a stab (adjutant), there is no usual chevron to indicate such...only the number 1 located well forward of its standard position.

Neal

( 65 KB | 49 Downloads )
P1200168.jpg
( 63 KB | 57 Downloads )
Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-1_JG1-White-1-Wilhelm-Balthasar-belly-landed-1940-02.jpg
( 143 KB | 49 Downloads )
Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-1_JG1-White-1-Wilhelm-Balthasar-belly-landed-1940-01.jpg
( 282 KB | 44 Downloads )
Bf-109E-III_JG51-_o+-Hofe-WNr-1490-France-1940.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #73 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Great looking prop.  Do you soak it in water or anything to get some twist in the blade? 

Painted it looks stellar!   Smiley

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #72 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Spitfire is covered and ready for dope...lacquer, no reference to myself...I hope.  Model lacks the centerline-mounted carb air intake.  Also note the lack of port wing underside "night" paintjob (see previous post).

Neal

( 42 KB | 51 Downloads )
P1200161.jpg
( 61 KB | 52 Downloads )
P1200162.jpg
( 48 KB | 46 Downloads )
P1200163.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #71 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom...using very hard 1/16" sheet balsa for the blades...'bout all it's good for.  I'm certain that if the nose block does NOT disconnect upon impact...there'll be a broken propeller...but then, that's the nature of wooden propellers, right?  Wooden props for flying just don't last long, at least that's been my experience...but they're great for looks.  Smiley  My dream would be to have a "vat" of ca to soak a wooden prop in for a week or two...really saturate the wood...turn it into plastic.  The wooden prop is in keeping with the spirit of Comet Models. Cheesy Grin

The tissue seems to have a weave that is only discernible to the eye when looking at it while held up against the light...something you really can't see ordinarily, but the camera flash can...one of those situations.  The "striped" effect was unintentional on my part....  I'm certain that when it's doped...it'll all go away...besides...still have some camo green to airbrush here and there.  Hurricane wings were always painted...no bare metal...whether on the early fabric covered wings of the first series run...or the metal clad wings from the Battle of Britain onward.  One would not have seen that bare metal paneling effect.

I have learned that RAF spinners prior to and during the Battle of Britain were generally painted "Night,"...black, as well as same for the port wing underside.  This could be a wing only, or it could extend down the entire aircraft underside centerline.  Purpose was to aid ground observers identification while using binoculars...same idea as invasion stripes later during the war.  "Friendly fire" was a commonly occurring issue.

Sometimes I use a glass bead between the prop and the aluminum tube shaft bearing...this time I've used 3 black sequins...that works too...no glass bead.

Neal
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:43am by Kerak »  

( 37 KB | 48 Downloads )
P1200159.jpg
( 38 KB | 45 Downloads )
P1200160.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #70 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
You've got those props down Neal.  Looking fantastic!  Keep up the great work!

A question re: the tisssue.  It looks like in the pictures the texture of the brown is different in stripes across the span of the wings.  Are you turning different sides of the tissue out as you attach it?

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #69 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mike...I was very lucky on that one.  If on the other hand I'd crushed a rib...well, it would have been a bit more life piecing the Frankenstein monster back together.  Wink

Meanwhile...Spit gets a prop....

Neal

( 45 KB | 61 Downloads )
P1200156.jpg
( 48 KB | 54 Downloads )
P1200157.jpg
( 43 KB | 44 Downloads )
P1200158.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint