Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) create peanut scale spitfire (13") (Read 2762 times)
rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: create peanut scale spitfire (13")
Reply #14 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Thank you Sky9Pilot for the explanation. Helps me a lot!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Rolf,
You'll want to add a removable motor anchor for the rubber motor.  And then you can use a motor stick to insert the motor through the nose of the fuselage.  To give you an idea what that looks like Here's a link to a video of a fellow master modeler winding his twin motored model.  You'll see the braided motors hanging out the front of the nacelles: click here
You'll notice he is sticking a wire through the rear motor anchor tube as he places the model on the winding stooge.

The motor is held inplace at the rear of the fuselage with an aluminum tube or bamboo shaft approximately 3/32" to 1/8" diameter.  If you look at the various builds in the current builds section you'll see the balsa anchor holes in the fuselage that the tube/bamboo is inserted into through the end loop of the motor. 

The motor is inserted through the nose sometimes with a motor insertion stick and the anchor place through the loop to anchor the rear of the motor.  The motor can be braided or left just as a loop/s of rubber.  (this can be found at Vintage Model Company in England): Click Here
Here's another uk source: Click Here  I haven't personally used either of these sites but hope this is helpful.

Here's a link to the motor loading stick on our site: Motor Loading stick click here

Under the trimming section on our S&T site you'll find some info on trimming your spitfire for flight.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Hey terryman, thanks for the tips!
All parts of the model are ready to cover them with tissue. I've bought tissue with a weight of 20gram per 1qm but I'm afraid that it is to havy - what do you think?
Also I don't know which parts I need for the engine. I suppose I've to add the rubber and the propeller before I can cover the fuslage with tissue. Could someone please tell me what I need for the engine, how to build/add it and where I can buy the parts? Maybe there is an UK shop... I cannot find a seller in Germany.

Thanks in advance
Rolf

IP Logged

terryman
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Rolf,

You could make the rudder adjustable but most builders would probably not bother at Peanut scale.  Let's see what other's say.  Other methods can be used for effectively changing the angle if you find it's needed during flight trimming: adding a small trim tab, steaming and bending or breathing on it and bending, or adding a gurney flap.  One trick is to use a minimum of solvent based glue to attach the rudder so if needed it can be removed using acetone to dissolve the glue and then remount at a different angle.  I have seldom needed to do so.  I would choose to make the elevator adjustable before worrying about the rudder.

The Spitfire may like having the weight of those blocks forward but I would carve them out as much as possible for lightness and if weight is needed to balance the model for flight would add clay or such as far forward as possible, in the nose block.

Scale elevator - If the actual life sized Spitfire was shrunk down to Peanut size the elevator would be to "scale".  That line on the plan shows how big to make the elevator if you want it to be scale sized.  If you want to fly the model the larger elevator on the plan will fly better.  The model with a scale elevator will be unstable in flight.

IP Logged

rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Thank you terryman and Sky9pilot, your tips helped me a lot while creating the fuselage. The next steps are to add the elevator and the rudder. But I have further questions first.

1.) Also I'm asking me if I have to make the rudder adjustable for the later trimming process. Could you please help?
2.) And I have a further question about the carved blocks on the fuselage: Is it necessary to hollow them to save weight or will it fly anyways?
3.) What is the "scale tail" at the elevator? Is it just a line painted on the tissue?

I have added the plan and highlighted the parts related to the questions.

Thank you!
Rolf

( 272 KB | Downloads )
s-l16002.jpg
( 88 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4127.JPG
( 152 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4128.JPG
( 127 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4133_001.JPG
( 162 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4132.JPG
( 172 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4134.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Terryman is probably right.  My photoshop rulers gave me deminsions of 1/16"x1/8" spars and dihedral/landing gear brace.  If using the solid wing ribs the hard 1/32" balsa would probably be suficient.  Just me.  I tend to build too heavy.  If you are using the upper tubulator strips I agree 1/32" square would be perfect.

( 345 KB | Downloads )
speed-spitfire-1.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

terryman
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 10:03am
Print Post  
rollov wrote on Oct 31st, 2020 at 4:02am:
Hi community,
I want to start to build the fuselage but I have a question regarding the ribs. Please see the red circles at rib "G". The slots are smaller than the one on the top of the rib. Which material I have to put in? Is it a strip of 1/32" balsa which joins rib "I", "H"
and "G"? Thx! Rolf

Rolf,

I agree the plan does not seem to say in writing what size of stringer.  1/32" square is common on Peanuts but the relatively long span between formers and the drawing suggest to me 1/32" x 1/16" on edge.

Nice wing!  I'm impressed by your sliced ribs of different lengths and lower camber.

Terry

IP Logged

rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Hi community,
I want to start to build the fuselage but I have a question regarding the ribs. Please see the red circles at rib "G". The slots are smaller than the one on the top of the rib. Which material I have to put in? Is it a strip of 1/32" balsa which joins rib "I", "H"
and "G"? Thx! Rolf

( 379 KB | Downloads )
s-l16003_001.jpg

IP Logged

rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Here are some pictures to show the progress. Not so easy to put all the parts together. I had some problems with the fit of the ribs and had to cut them again ... Huh But the wing is almost done. Smiley
Best, Rolf

( 122 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4068.JPG
( 116 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4078.JPG
( 94 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4079.JPG
( 107 KB | Downloads )
IMG_4082.JPG

IP Logged

rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Thank you Ian for the link to the magazine!
The balsa wood I've ordered arrived today. I will start to cut the parts for the wing tonight. Smiley
Rolf

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Unless otherwise specified, assume that all material is 1/16" thick.
ian

You can download the magazine containing the plan and the article from:
https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=1941

IP Logged

rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Thank you Neal and Mike, your answers are very helpful for me and the things become clearer now. Also the pictures are good for understanding (the plane looks realy good btw.).
Now I'm searching for balsa but I don't know which material thickness I have to order for a model with 13" wingspan. In the plan is described that I need 1/32" for the fillets and the top combing for example. But which thickness do I need for other parts like wings and ribs?
Thank you in advance!
Rolf

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Welcome Rolf!  Neal's got your questions covered pretty well. 

Regarding the wing fillets, if you choose to do them you'll just cut a piece of 1/32" balsa matching the triangular portion of your red-circled shape that lies behind the trailing edge of the wing.  That gets glued to the aft edge of the wing and fuselage and makes the bottom surface of the fillet.

On the top side you'll trim and fit a piece of ordinary printer paper to go between the wing, fuselage and bottom piece of the fillet.  The upper paper fillet can be broken up into a couple of segments to make it easier to smooth the curves (that's how the sheet metal was done on the real aircraft). 

This is usually an iterative process of fitting and trimming that'll take a couple of tries to get to where you're happy with it.  Here's a couple pictures of the fillet on a larger Spitfire model and the fillet on the actual aircraft.

Keep posting - looking forward to seeing your model come together.

Cheers,

Mike

( 70 KB | Downloads )
0611_Mocked_Up_with_Doped_Flying_Surfaces_Cropped.JPG
( 143 KB | Downloads )
0617_Fillet_Left_Side_Low_Cropped.JPG
( 102 KB | Downloads )
44041147880_09099305ee_b.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Welcome, rollov!  Red outline is of the wing fillet planview...no pattern for such seems to have been provided on plan.  I wouldn't trouble myself with that feature just yet.  The cross refers to the aircraft's longitudinal center of gravity...a proposed balance point necessary for successful flight trimming.  Again...not to be concerned with at this time during your build.  When the model is finished and you're trimming...you can add weight as necessary to achieve balance at that point.

Glad you've joined us!

Neal

IP Logged

rollov

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

create peanut scale spitfire (13")
Oct 9th, 2020 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Hi S&T community!
I'm a beginner and want to build a spitfire from a plan made by Walt Mooney. But before I can start I have to understand all details of the plan. I've marked two parts with red colour - would be nice if you could explain.
1.) what is this outline? is it a part made from balsa wood?
2.) what means the cross? It seems to be related to the ribs C and G

I've more questions but that's it for the beginning. Smiley
Thanks in advance!
Rolf from Leipzig

( 294 KB | Downloads )
s-l16003.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint