Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cookup December 2020 through March 2021 (Read 11763 times)
MKelly
5 Star Member

Re: Cookup December 2020 through March 2021
Reply #97 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Tom,

The Beaver plans were published in the Jan-Feb 2019 issue of Mike's Tailspin newsletter.  I haven't seen them online anywhere - I'm hoping Mike's family will make some arrangements to make these plans available, possibly on the FAC site.

I still hope to build the Isermann WACO C7 before WestFAC this fall - too many cookups and too little building time this spring.

Mike

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #96 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
My apologies to all, a relapse of the bronchitis and I've been layed up for several months!† I'm open to whatever y'all would like to do with this cookup!† I am not up to building yet and seems all I can do is keep track of things with the sites!† Let me know what y'all want to do, I'm open to suggestions!
Sky9pilot

Alfakilo...where did you get the ME-109 Nassise plans I haven't been able to find a copy that's very clear.

Mike I'm interested in the Beaver Nassise plans also.  Please let me know where you found them.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #95 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
alfakilo wrote on Mar 7th, 2021 at 9:29am:
I'm getting back into the flow, so I'm going to change models and return to the Jimmy Allen designs that were popular back in the 30s. Here's the Bluebird (imaginary model). Also known as the Scarlet Tanager (real life bird). I'm looking at doing the model in the bird colors, should be a challenge.

Great choice AK!  This is my favorite of the JA designs.  A few years back I got a partial original Wanner's Bluebird Racer kit (same lot that included the Wanner's Wedell Williams racer I built in 2018).  Fuselage and fin had been built and were mostly MIA, wing and stab printwood was intact.  The blue and red tissue in the kit is in great shape, vibrant and beautiful after more than 80 years.  Kit included red and blue dope, banana oil and cement, all of which is now dried up.  There were also some "High Speed Gas" stickers to dope on your model.

Matt King did a nice writeup on the Bluebird Racer in FACN257.  He noted that the ribs shown on the plan were a bit short.  I did a quick comparison - the printwood matches the plan templates and looks pretty close to the wing plan.  Maybe his plan reprint was a bit off?  The article is available here: http://www.flyingacesclub.com/Newsletters/FACN257.pdf

I seriously over-committed on cookups this year - have yet to start the WACO for this cookup and the Beaver for the Nassise cookup on HPA.  Building on a P-47 for an RCGroups vintage cookup at the moment.

Look forward to seeing your BlueBird Racer come together AK - the Scarlet Tanager scheme will look great.

Mike

( 329 KB | 27 Downloads )
Bluebird_Racer_Kit_Contents.JPG
( 343 KB | 30 Downloads )
Bluebird_Racer_Kit_Contents_2.JPG

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #94 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Well then, she gets the painting for this Xmas! And she will always have that to remind her of you. Very nice!!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #93 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I hear you Alfa... I love the potential of that color scheme and it will work well on that aircraft!  Red/Orange, black and silver brings all kinds of imaginations for that plane!  Can't wait!

I had a promise to my daughter to fulfill before getting back to modeling.  She wanted a winter scene painted for her Christmas.  Got sick and couldn't get it done by Christmas so finally got the cabin she wanted from a picture she found.  So she's got my rendition of that picture!
Sky9pilot

( 175 KB | 23 Downloads )
20210306_155424_001.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #92 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 9:29am
Print Post  
I hear you, Tom...these days have been a chore.

I'm getting back into the flow, so I'm going to change models and return to the Jimmy Allen designs that were popular back in the 30s. Here's the Bluebird (imaginary model). Also known as the Scarlet Tanager (real life bird). I'm looking at doing the model in the bird colors, should be a challenge.

( 32 KB | 24 Downloads )
Bluebird.jpg
( 55 KB | 22 Downloads )
st1.jpg
( 82 KB | 20 Downloads )
st2.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #91 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I want to commend all those who have or still are participating in the HPA Nassise Cookup.  Life has been a challenge for me lately and I hope to get back to building soon.  I have no problem with extending this cookup if there's enough interest in doing so. 

Thanks to all those who have been busily building all along!   Smiley

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #90 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Mike,
She looks superb! You're gonna have a real flyer on your hands! Smiley

IP Logged

TimH

Stick & Tissue

Reply #89 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
That looks good Mike. 12g sounds good for all that woodwork.

Meanwhile I have been tissue covering. My least favourite job, or maybe next least after glazing. Always seems to be my time to spoil a perfectly good framework Embarrassed.

( 127 KB | 33 Downloads )
CD658EDD-E4C6-4DB5-9ADB-A2B1FF184ED8.jpeg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #88 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Tim - I have not thought much about the weight but you got me thinking about it. It is very fragile and so here is the overall weight to date. Don't know why my system has decided to post in a rotated format but here it is nevertheless.
Mike

( 84 KB | 37 Downloads )
Weight_to_Date.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #87 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:08am
Print Post  
There's a concise publication by Charles Mendenhall titled The Air Racer. I have a copy and will post it when I figure out how to post a PDF.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #86 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Interesting cookup subjects air racers 1920 - 1939.
Having worked on a formers and stringers, bubble canopy and wheel spats model Cosmic Wind 1948 US National Air Races winner, I long for something simpler to build.† No biplanes, spats, round fuselages.† Have gone through Wikipedia but did not find one I wanted to model.† I have a Curtis Robin kit that fits the simple to build criteria but no evidence it was ever an Air Racer,† Curtis CR3 looks good but a biplane.† Closest match to the criteria so far is the Heath Baby Bullet.† I did search to see if Gadfly by Sherman Gillespie was ever in an air race in England but no evidence it was.† Still looking for a slab sided† air racer† 1920 -1939.† †Smiley

IP Logged

TimH

Stick & Tissue

Reply #85 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Thatís looking really good Mike. I really must build another racer!
I know itís a cliche and you canít tell without weighing it but it looks like a lovely light structure Smiley

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #84 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Sorry to hear about having to rebuild the fuselage but I love your jig!   She's looking very good now!!! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #83 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Greetings All - Been gone for quite a while and spent the morning reading thru the postings that came up and all are looking very good. I've been working along some but needed to take some time out to regroup a bit, seems things come along in groups that take our time and attention, as Tom said, family first, hobby second or maybe third, anyway my brother passed away two weeks back and SIL's husband also passed three weeks back so we have been a bit distracted but are back on somewhat an even keel.
The Crosby has seen some progress and as I said, the fuselage went into the bin and brought out the fuselage frame and started again, even at that I had to eliminate the tail cone to get it to fit. I'll make that from a solid block and hollow it out to nearly nothing. Most of the major components are done and now for the detail stuff. Some of the formers were undersized to the point the stringers would not come anywhere close to fitting so need to build out some places to support the stringers. Will put in some plug in sockets in the wing for the detach landing gear, sand it a bit, vac a canopy and cover. More pics soon.
Miike

( 103 KB | 29 Downloads )
Top_Half_Fuselage.jpg
( 93 KB | 29 Downloads )
Frame_Inverted.jpg
( 49 KB | 29 Downloads )
Fuse_Out_Of_Frame.jpg
( 83 KB | 33 Downloads )
Bones_1_004.jpg
( 83 KB | 28 Downloads )
Bones_2_003.jpg
( 77 KB | 30 Downloads )
Bones_3_003.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint