Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Correction for an Airplane Final Assembly Problem (Read 102 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Correction for an Airplane Final Assembly Problem
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Ian is right... tightbond won't be loosened by the acetone.  I'd go with his solutions!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
IMO, Titebond, is not likely going off. You could slice it off with a razor, but it would more likely damage the structure.
Two solutions:
  1. Leave the tilt in the stab and it will cause a left turn in flight.
  2. tilt the wing to match the stab by inserting shims under the low side.

I would try 1 first, and do 2 if the turn is unacceptable.

ian

IP Logged

Z-man

This isn't flying! It's
falling with style!

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
The horizontal stab is one piece and I thoroughly glued it with Original Titebond. What do recommend to dissolve it? Also, what do you recommend as a dissolvable glue? I assume it's glue that can be dissolved using acetone?

Thanks!
SZ

"Life's a journey, not a destination"

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
One of the reasons you'll see your fellow modelers will use tape or very small applications of dissolvable glue or clips or pins to do a mockup of the bones of the build before covering to check all the alignments.  Often at this time the homemade incidence meter is used to set the wing and empennage incidences and alignments. 

Is your empennage/horizontal stabilizer one piece or did you glue each panel to the outside of the fuselage.  It looks to be one piece.  I'd try to use some acetone on a q-tip to loosen the glue on the horizontal stab from the fuselage.  Then using a nail file/emoryboard to adjust the slot to level the stab.  I'd suggest just spots of disolvable glue to hold in place (usually at the middle leading edge or middle trailing edge so shims can be used in the front or rear edge of the stab) for later adjustment in trimming for flight!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Z-man

This isn't flying! It's
falling with style!

Correction for an Airplane Final Assembly Problem
Nov 15th, 2020 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen, I have a dilemma regarding final construction of an S&T airplane that I hope you can help me with given the mountain of knowledge and experience you folks have. Having just started this hobby in mid-summer, I have greatly enjoyed it so far, and I would like to thank all of you folks that contribute to this forum with all of your awesome information. I have amassed a notebook full of info to help me build, and determine needed tools and materials. Also, I have found that Don Ross’s book gives a lot to consider, as well. I have just finished building my most advanced plane yet – a Guillow’s Fly Boy. It was great fun and I look forward to building even more complex planes.

My problem: much to my chagrin, during final assembly when I was checking balance of the plane, I realized the horizontal stabilizer is crooked relative to the wing (see the photo). Will this be a big problem when flying this plane (weather won’t allow right now) and can it be “trimmed” to correct for this, or do I have to dismantle the tail section to correct it? Can I just shim the wing to put it in line with the stab and tweak the fin, or…?

Also, is there a reference on final assemblies that anyone can recommend to help a guy to avoid these kinds of errors?

Cheers!
Scott Z
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2020 at 12:15pm by Z-man »  

( 197 KB | 27 Downloads )
FlyBoy2.jpg
( 299 KB | 24 Downloads )
FlyBoy3.jpg
( 314 KB | 21 Downloads )
FlyBoy4.jpg
( 259 KB | 24 Downloads )
FlyBoy5.jpg

"Life's a journey, not a destination"