Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comet A26 Invader (Read 801 times)
Kruginmi
3 Star Member

PBY Catalina

Re: Comet A26 Invader
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks one an all for all the looks an putting up with this crusty individual. 

For over 10 years I was a project manager for designing computer systems and the like for both civil and military airplanes.  Also while in the Army I jumped out of them if that counts haha.

Living large and focusing hard on getting to retirement, Mark

Off topic a bit but also currently have a Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster on the workbench (vacuform model).  That would be a cool SnT, but getting counter rotating props with rubber might be a challenge  Cheesy.

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I agree with Ian and Tom +1.  You really have good work.  What part of the aviation industry were you affiliated?

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
As Ian said, it's all part of the process.  I know it's hard to get into the head of the plan designer as to how he was thinking things were going to go together.  I draw a lot of my own plans and still when I go back I wonder what I was thinking at the time I drew it that way!!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
What mistakes don't kill us only permit us to go ha ha! at the next person who makes the same mistake  Grin Cheesy
Just kidding. Correcting mistakes is how we cut our fingers with razor blades and stain our messy handiwork. I have  some nice stains, which is why I prefer a red tissue finish on most aircraft.
ian

IP Logged

Kruginmi
3 Star Member

PBY Catalina

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Can't think of everything.  I was doing so well but had hit several small discrepancies between the plans on what was printed on the wood.  I had congratulated myself by thinking ahead and determining the best course of action.  Never get cocky, nature has a way of self correcting.

The one that got me was Bulkhead 5.  The main former where bulkhead 5 is positioned (top) takes a size step right at this join (the slot in front of the step is 1/2 the size of what is needed after the step).  The wood showed the smaller slot, the former shows the bulkhead needing the larger slot.  See the pic attached.

I opted to keep the smaller slot.  Since this bulkhead was the forward brace for the wing connection I thought the step being against the bulkhead would provide added strength (more glue area).  No problem.

Problem.  Once I glued everything up (including the wing connection) I noticed the spar cut through now was positioned a 1/16" in front of the next bulkhead.  The 5th bulkhead needed to have used the deeper slot. and be positioned one bulkhead width farther back.  Check the wing position piece the far side of the fuselage.  I should have checked the bulkhead spacing and realized that placing the wing connector was most important.

In all things not terrible.  I will cut the spar slot back to the bulkhead and then add a spacer piece of wood to the spar itself to maintain its correct fit into the slot.  However, it will look sloppy.  For my mental health I will now need to sand off the printing on the wing locator so it doesn't remain the bright flashing beacon of shame.  Don't even mention the entire CG is now thrown out the window (lucky static so I can live with that) (also FYI: somewhat sarcastic based on work experience in aviation industry).

Sigh.  Bin it??   No way, it will make me stronger, faster, able to leap....well, you know the rest.

( 86 KB | 33 Downloads )
Bulkhead.JPG

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Thus, the covering to the wings will NOT be translucent. ...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Kruginmi
3 Star Member

PBY Catalina

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
A well thought out response to a smart-ass  post  Grin

I consider my hobbies my safe zone, meaning I don't have to worry my wife jabbing me hard in the side when I do such foibles (my side is usually sore - a lot).

Appreciate the wisdom to the pondering of the imponderables!
Gobble, Gobble!
Mark
P.S.  I think I will go with the outward facing writing  Smiley

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Gee. I didn't think that they made them so that you had a choice! If you are leaving the markings on (rather than sanding them off), then they would only be visible through a covering that was translucent. If that was the case, then consider that you usually look at the plane from the side, so if the markings were on the 'inside' (toward the fuselage), then you would only see them on the wing furthest away from you.
YMMV
ian

IP Logged

Kruginmi
3 Star Member

PBY Catalina

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Critical Question:

Does the printed side of the wing ribs go:
     1.  Towards the fuselage
     2.  Away from the fuselage
     3.  Away and forward alternating
     4.  Randomly picked

Always wondered if I was doing it right   Cool

( 149 KB | 16 Downloads )
ribs__1_.JPG
( 126 KB | 21 Downloads )
ribs__2_.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Really nice work, Mark...just the opposite of my own technique...which is tailored more along the lines of "cut to match, beat to fit."  Grin  I've constructed this very kit twice myself, once back in the 50's and then again in the 70's when it was still on the retail shelves.

Should you get the itch to fly...that high aspect ratio wing is a dandy...a virtual glider!

I believe that Pete constructed an A-26 back a couple of years ago here on the SnT website, if you haven't already seen it.

Again...very nice work, Mark.

Neal

IP Logged

Kruginmi
3 Star Member

PBY Catalina

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 6:54am
Print Post  
On to the side formers.

On these I left the outside a bit proud as well as putting extra on the length until I could verify all was calm, all was bright.

First pic shows the result mocked up - all friction fit (happy Mark).

Second pic shows the tension I am looking for - thin line between friction and snapping.  The side former and wing attachment point both held securely by one bulkhead.

Third one shows this whole section looking good (but stay tuned kiddoes - all is not right in Krugville).

The fourth shows everything together with just the side formers.  Still need to finish the outside surfaces.

As Fozzi Bear says:  Moving Right Along,
Stay Building My Friends, - Mark

( 197 KB | 23 Downloads )
pic1_002.JPG
( 168 KB | 17 Downloads )
pic2.JPG
( 233 KB | 18 Downloads )
pic3_001.JPG
( 227 KB | 17 Downloads )
pic4.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Glad to see another project started!!!  I shall, with Ian, follow this with great interest!  Always fun to see how another modeler does his prep and construction! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 10:10am
Print Post  
It looks great! I am following this one with interest.
ian  Smiley

IP Logged

Kruginmi
3 Star Member

PBY Catalina

Comet A26 Invader
Nov 23rd, 2020 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Greetings and Salutations!  Like a bad penny - I have returned.

You get the itch for these things every so often.  Being in a bit of a funk I pulled down my A26 purchase from evilbay.  Looks like most everything is there but, if you have seen my PBY that never stopped me before (manic laughter).  The sheets have cracks through them but that is easily remedied.  I am sticking with the balsa for this one.

This is an incomplete memory.  Started in the 70's but never finished as other life events came and went.  To remedy this regret I have decided to finish one now.  Not going crazy like the PBY but don't intend to fly it so I put here, as static it shall probably be.

First pic shows the main former being glued up.  I think I prefer where the bulkheads are split in half, where you can insure the glue up is dead nuts straight.  I thought about cutting the supplied ones in the kit but that is a slippery slope (haha).  I had promised OOB but I have been weak in that area before.

I am a stickler for correct slot depths.  Yah, digital calipers may be considered overkill but those that have actually covered a plane with tissue will (I am sure) be there with me.  And yes, I did find discrepancies - some only a millimeter or two, some larger.

As I found issues on the plans (locations of bulkheads on the former, etc) I thought about correcting the plans but told myself this was for enjoyment so have stopped myself so far.  Even with all the checks some issues still slipped through.

But oh, I love the sight of a good join in the morning.  Really sets the mood for the day.  Working my way down the former.

I have not cut the stringer slots since I want to get the bulkheads all set in (friction fit) then sight along the stringer runs.  I already know a few locators are off and my eye is already twitching at some of them.  Secondary to good slot depths are good stringer runs.

BTW:  looked at the PBY, over 60,000 views.  Phew, I give the credit to the forum administrators.  Keeping the hobby alive.

PS:  Comments and suggestions certainly welcome.  Long way to go.  Scratching my head about the paper cowlings, cockpit cover and acetate.  Should I remake in balsa.......

( 202 KB | 26 Downloads )
1_003.JPG
( 194 KB | 22 Downloads )
2_004.JPG
( 195 KB | 21 Downloads )
3_003.JPG
( 127 KB | 21 Downloads )
4_001.JPG
( 208 KB | 22 Downloads )
5.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]