Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Guillows kit #1001 P-47D (Read 1527 times)
Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Re: Guillows kit #1001 P-47D
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Looks extremely good to me.  Great show!  I've already got my favorite chair, popcorn and drinks.  Watching the show....
Gary

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Skyediamonds wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 5:46pm:
Having infilled the fuselage to the Mustang, I'll be curious as to what approach you will be using for the wings.

Hi Gary - I plan on doing these wings the same way I have done them in the past with one caveat. These are typical Guillow flat bottom airfoil wings and as such are incorrect for a scale representation of the P-47.

I will therefore be infilling the underside of the wing and then skinning them over the infill with a combination of sheet balsa thicknesses in order to get the correct wing airfoil shape and thickness. Lots of EXTRA sanding for me I'm afraid

as you can see - I have the wings laid up and the dihedral set. Also the main LG wire cores have been installed. The gear and flaps will be moveable / poseable as will the canopy...if it all works out

( 81 KB | 106 Downloads )
sat1.jpg
( 106 KB | 85 Downloads )
sat2.jpg

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbAea8pF8VufHtNr9mQv1Iw

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 9:26pm:
This is looking great!!!
I remember an IPMS meeting years ago when a AAF pilot gave a talk and shared how he didn't like transitioning to the P-51 from the P-47.  He said he felt much safer scrunching behind the big radial than the skinny Merlin v-12.  He did say the radial brought him home several times with more than one jug shot out!

there is an entire series of 8 or 9 videos by this researcher - this is the last of that series and is a summary of the information - incredibly enlightening information - he has accumulated on the subject of the P-47 and Seversky's  amazing fighter design.
I HIGHLY recommend viewing them all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jeV3wuML2s

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
This is looking great!!!
I remember an IPMS meeting years ago when a AAF pilot gave a talk and shared how he didn't like transitioning to the P-51 from the P-47.  He said he felt much safer scrunching behind the big radial than the skinny Merlin v-12.  He did say the radial brought him home several times with more than one jug shot out!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Having infilled the fuselage to the Mustang, I'll be curious as to what approach you will be using for the wings.

I'm opting for using thin plastic sheeting method.  I will simply cut out sections of the plastic sheet to fit that part of the wing and carefully lay it down along the L.E. and T.E. from root to tip. 

That's. the main plan anyway,

Prior to laying down the plastic sheet, I can draw out panel lines using a black ball point pen.  Then lightly add rivets from the backside or on top depending upon the desired effects.  This way, I can avoid possibly damaging the fragile wooding wing ribs. 

By drawing the panel outlines and adding rivets ahead of time will also give me a chance to "preview" the semi-finished results prior to gluing and see if my idea works.

The plastic sheet is already has a smooth finish ready for priming or painting.  As a major side benefit I can (hopefully) save lots of sanding.

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Thank you Ian - the goal is to make a fair representation of one of the best aircraft ever designed for aerial warfare. I like to make display models from Guillow, Dumas, and other stick and tissue kits using the infill method and I hope this one turns out ok.

Working on the wing now and I should be able to post some images soon.

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
lots of nice infill work there. going to be a nice final product!
ian

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
the plan is to have working retractable gear, sliding canopy, and movable flaps...we'll see how it all works out.

not certain of the paint scheme or anything just yet either - TBD

here you can see that I have cut away the molded engine from the cowling and worked up my own R2800
Wasp double row radial.

( 61 KB | 113 Downloads )
juggy05.jpg
( 102 KB | 97 Downloads )
jugmodel01.jpg

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Guillows kit #1001 P-47D
Dec 19th, 2020 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
another warbird under construction...

( 74 KB | 107 Downloads )
juggy04.jpg
( 69 KB | 105 Downloads )
juggy03.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint