Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic FAA Final Rule on Small Unmanned Aircraft (Read 216 times)
Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: FAA Final Rule on Small Unmanned Aircraft
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Just watched the AMA discussion on the FAA "Final Rule".  It's really much better than what the FAA proposed a year ago.  We can live with it for most normal model flying situations.  Those of us who fly FF under 250 grams can practically ignore it and the requirements for the larger models are not that onerous.  They won't be able to enforce anything for a couple of years anyway.  This whole remote identification thing was insisted on by the Defense Department and Homeland Security so it isn't going to go away.

My real concern is that the FAA is counting, mostly, on local law enforcement to police this.  It will require a massive education program for the local LEOs that is not going to happen since they have more important things to consider.  This my lead to some unfortunate incidents.  Get the phone number of a good lawyer.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 10:12am
Print Post  
I don't think that you have overreacted. The officials have on blinders and the only thing that they see is drones. And rather than just regulating those items, they lump everything else into the same category. However, government is blind and dumb as an ox. Unfortunately, stupid is the only thing that cannot be fixed with science and logic.
ian

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I may have overreacted to the FAA document.  As long as you can guarantee the the model will never fly over people the propeller can be exposed.  Otherwise we may have to adapt.

( 285 KB | 19 Downloads )
Prop_Guard.png

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

FAA Final Rule on Small Unmanned Aircraft
Dec 28th, 2020 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Yes, the FAA considers model airplanes to be small unmanned aircraft lumped right in with the drones!

Anything that weighs less than 0.55 pounds (249 grams) does not require a transponder, but there is one change in the rules that is a humdinger..it appears to outlaw exposed propellers.

All small unmanned aircraft may have no rotating parts that can lacerate human skin.

Manufacturers (that includes kit makers) have six months from the adoption of the rule to supply retrofit kits that shield rotating parts, and users have one year to get them installed.

REALLY!!! 

Does this mean scale models with propeller guards?

The AMA is reviewing this and I will keep you posted.

Howard
(KF)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint