Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Krylon over Elmers Glue? (Read 78 times)
HenryFinley

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: Krylon over Elmers Glue?
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I used Elmer's glue 70/30 with water as per the building leaflet that came with this Guillows 905 P-51. In the past I was a Pactra dope devotee, but I can't afford it now and still wanted to do a plane. So I gave the Elmer's a try. Not too bad really, considering the cost. Plus, all my older planes I had built in the early 90's with Pactra were all splitting and tearing. It seems the Pactra dope kept shrinking and shrinking the skin over the years till it split itself all up. It looks like my Pactra dope days are over.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2021 at 4:52pm by HenryFinley »  

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 1:21am
Print Post  
I have used nitrate dope over Elmers glue, and then used rattle cans, with zero issues. But not exactly your situation. It's easy enough to do a test piece, on some scrap, do that. I put a layer of Elmers over foam fillets, so then I can cover, and paint, without dissolving the foam. I just recently used clear Krylon on tissue, and really liked the results, (very very light coats). I am just curious, how did you end up on the silkspan/elmers/paint road? Water based furniture sanding sealer keeps popping up in my head. Applies and sands easily, and accepts rattle cans. I use it on my RC electric wood sheeted fuselages. Do a test piece of your Elmers idea, let us know. When I use silkspan, and want to paint, I still stick with nitrate, and then water based or rattle can finishing. From one silkspan and paint builder, to another, Welcome. I love the ability of getting the exact color, and sheen I want. And also the ability to mask off and paint stripes, or whatever other details I want. Please post pictures of your project. From my experience, Elmers glue and Krylon, just guessing, it will stick. I would still primer it, or use paint/primer combo.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2021 at 7:34am by DAVE Q »  

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
You might have problems with the paint pealing up from the surface.  I'm not sure what the effect of the water based paints would do but they might work.  I've not used this before so I'm just guessing. 
Ok modelers...anyone out there had experience with this and what are your suggestions?
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

HenryFinley

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Krylon over Elmers Glue?
Jan 4th, 2021 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
This is not my first stick and silkspan build, but the first time I went with thinned-down Elmers glue to "dope" over my skinning job. Actually it looks nice, but you better not touch the plane with wet fingers. It seems to re-dissolve the glue and makes fingerprints and dull spots. But that's off-topic for the title of the thread. I know I can use krylon spray paint over a butyrate dope and tissue job, but what will happen if spray paint over an Elmers glue and tissue job? Thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint