Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Just for the fun of it...an Albatross revisited (Read 1261 times)
Ronnie

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: Just for the fun of it...an Albatross revisited
Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 6:18am
Print Post  
I'm new to the forum but have to say very nice

Ronnie

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 9:15am
Print Post  
That's a mighty fine lookin' sheet-wood model, Marc!  I understand your worries concerning warps.  Shocked  On a traditional SnT structure, it can be pinned down to the board...but on your wings and empennage...if that wood becomes saturated...whoa be unto you!

Just an idea...but I think maybe using a paint that dries fast...as quickly as possible...without saturating the wood might be the way to go.  I'd try a scrap of 1/32" sheet...use rattle-can spray paint maybe...a very light misting...just to see if the wood tolerates things without warping.

Another idea is to use colored marking pens...but that gets streaky...not such a nice end result.  For certain...I'd stay away from anything water-based using a large brush.  That sounds like disaster for sure.

Again...try the rattle-can paint...misted...surface paint only...keep the weight down...try it on scrap wood first and watch for the warps.  The idea is to not saturate the wood and to get it dried in a hurry.

Best of luck!  Smiley

Neal

I just realized that I didn't respond to your question, Marc!  It's an age thing...forgive me, pls.  Of course, warps are always a concern on every model...for every modeler.  My own approach it to cover a model...dope (thinned greatly!) and only then to begin applying a painted finish...reason being that if the surface is unsealed...it will act like a blotter and soak up a literal ton of weight!  That's all pretty standard, approach-wise....  On my Albatros...I don't think there was ever much concern about warping...all the painting would have been detail-like application.  Your sheet-wood surfaces are much different in that regard.  Again...I'd try sealing the wood somehow...be that with matte Krylon or spray pigmented paint...but misted finely...allowed to dry quickly.  I really do like that Moth...lots of elevator and rudder area! Looks like she's gonna be fun.  Wink  I just recalled...here's a Citabria that is sheet-wood...like the wings of your Moth.  White finish is rattle-can that I got carried away with...but it still performs very well!  And no warps!

Hey Mike!  Thanks!

( 86 KB | Downloads )
Citabria.JPG

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 9:04am
Print Post  
The Albatross is quite a spectacular model Neal - very well done.  I saw your plan for the Pup on Outerzone recently - very clean, I've filed it in my to-build pile.

Hope you and Neo both recover to good health soon.

Mike

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:35am
Print Post  
That's fantastic!
Can I ask how did you apply the paint without warping? I have a teeny tiger moth thats sheet 1/32" balsa...I'm scared to do anything paintwise...WARP!....but she NEEDS paint!
Please tell me the secrets...
Marc

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Really sorry to "hear" about your encounter with "the plague," Neo...hope things improve for you and your wife...and that's an understatement.  I myself tested negative lately...I felt so badly that I can only imagine the misery of actually having the dreaded scourge!  As I'm certain you can relate with...it's not only the worry of being ill...but all the "logistical" issues that go along with it!  Not everyone has someone to take care of these things.  Get well Neo...hoping for a quick and complete recovery for you and yours.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Neal,
What can I say but a resounding "WOW"! Cheesy Cheesy  Grin Grin Smiley
That has to be one of the smartest, best executed and beautiful rendentions I've seen to date.  It looks as good as Peter Iliffe's work on the same subject. Thank you for the view.

I'm so sorry you haven't been well. Hopefully you'll rebound to your usual self very soon. I've been ill and trying to recoup myself. My wife and I both.contracted covid-19 a few days ago.
Get well my friend.

Neoflight

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Just for the fun of it...an Albatross revisited
Jan 5th, 2021 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
While everyone is familiar with the aircraft of Anthony Fokker and their association with the Imperial German Air Service of World War One, be assured there was another aircraft of equal renown, that being the fighter (and variants) produced by Albatross Flugzeugwerke.  Every major ace pilot of the Central Powers operated the Albatross at one time or another.  The subject of my model, an Albatross DV, is that flown by Paul Baumer, one of the “Greentails” of Jagdstaffel 5, Jagdgruppe 2.  With his Edelweiss motif emblazoned on his aircraft, Baumer was the victor of 43 aerial dogfights and recipent of the Pour le Merite.  He survived the war only to die in a flying accident in 1927.

My Albatross is peanut scale (13” wingspan) and while using traditional stick and tissue techniques and materials, somehow turned into a display model along the way.  It was constructed in 1988 at a time when I was heavily involved with RC Scale models.  I was determined to return to my roots, to build a subject that was rubber-powered and small.  Fuselage is covered in 1/32” balsa sheet in keeping with the original’s monocoque plywood skin…sanded paper-thin.  Wings were constructed by assembling the structure with rib blanks…then carefully sanding to airfoil shape with a sanding block.  Wheels were turned on a Dremel Tool.  Prop is of flying-type and fully functional…blades cut from a light gauge plastic food container.  Rubber motor is installed.  Overall finish is hand-painted, including lozenge pattern and insignia, using predominantly water-based paints.  The Mercedes is non-functional (smile).

The basic difference between the DV and the DV-a was a small brace fitted to the outer wing V-strut and affixed to the lower wing’s leading edge…all in an effort to eliminate lower wing flutter and twisting.  It succeeded.  My model lacks the necessary brace to be a DV-a and hence is a DV…as was the original aircraft flown by Baumer.  Incidentally, Paul Baumer was a personal acquaintance of author Erich Maria Remarque who as a tribute to a fellow member of the “lost generation,” used the Ace’s name for his title character in All Quiet on The Western Front (1931).

My health has not been the best lately...can't say when I'll get back to building...but I'm certainly thinking about it.  Smiley

Neal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkk6AxG8jaY

( 232 KB | Downloads )
Albatross_DVa_by_Neal_Green.jpg
( 62 KB | Downloads )
Albatross_DV_2.jpg
( 68 KB | Downloads )
Albatross_DV_3.jpg
( 122 KB | Downloads )
Albatross_DV_4.jpg
( 90 KB | Downloads )
Albatross_DV_5.jpg