Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 3/4" scale, Lockheed Hudson bomber....50" (Read 8535 times)
Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Re: 3/4" scale, Lockheed Hudson bomber....50"
Reply #40 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 1:48pm
Print Post  

Whew....semi hard balsa is tuff on elbows and hands Tongue
But, getting them out....
I have scaled them directly from shop drawings, I will plan on placing the formers in the fuse in between windows etc....
It's funny, these bombers have lots of windows...can you imagine a B-17 with windows???? Huh
Marc

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #39 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Welll, I get to start MY build! Cheesy
I've been slowly gathering info and parts, I ordered the retracts for her, so that will be a 1st for me....I've never had them n any plane, so that's a happy cool factor 10+.
I just need to get the bolts on my jig, I stopped at the lumber yard, and they were completely out of the 1-1/4" little bolts. I was in Lowe's yesterday, but my hometown lumberyard is owned by a family that I went to school with, had them as patients, etc...so I try to shop there....
Anyways...hobby lobby had a nice selection of 3/32"x6" wide wood, I chose a medium hard piece to start cutting out my fuse formers....I will stick with 3/8" width for them....as I have to cut the stringer notches, I'm try to shave weight w/o sacrifice of strength.

I will cut one 3/16" ply former for my wing spars. It will be a former with "arms" Tongue then I can plug the outer wing panels into it, along with engine/landing gear being beefed up.....
Marc

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #38 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
PROGRESS.....my jig table is done...now to start the fuse formers....i'll have something to jig up!!!!!!! Cool
my whole process will be to keep it straight, and on proper 'step'...looking at the real plane from the side views...there is a ever-so-slight 'bump' right behind the windscreen, and travels back one former....then starts a slow gentle curve to the gun turret.
after this bomber build...I may try my hand at a corsair or a zero! Roll Eyes
marc

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #37 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Routed out the T slots....got one "wiggle"...but it's in a starting area...so problem. Broke 2 bits and was on my last one, but it lasted.... Tongue
Now to get all the bolts I need, and drill the holes in the cross pieces.....
This was the hard part....what could of messed up 50 bucks worth of mat'ls...so I'm super happy it's done! Grin
Marc

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #36 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to the jig progress!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #35 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Progress!...I finally did get my building jig basic wood....Jacob's son, Joe, cut out 2 'tables' for me outta the one piece of birch plywood...with perfect cuts. He also cut 30+ 1"x1" cross members from the scrap pieces....now I need to route the slots in each table, and drill all the bolt holes in those cross 1"x1" pieces~
I planned on doing this Friday...but 1st things 1st....the wife's Z24 has a small leak somewhere in the clutch hydraulics...so it needs to be looked at, and at least refilled and air bled out....maybe, I will have time to jig and route the slots....I want to do it right the 1st time...I have $$ tied up in it, PLUS, Joe, wanted Pizza, NOT $$$... Grin for cutting out this project.....the Amish don't get pizza delivery.....no phone to call it in!!!! Cheesy
ill do some pictures in progress......easier to understand....
I should be getting closer to my Bomber start!!!!!! Tongue
marc

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #34 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Thank you sky Pilot!....I have been trying to think of how to use my jig and lay out the huge formers...your post of Dave mitchel's technique finalized my questions!
My fuse needs to be super light but strong.....and straight. I'm feel like rod sterling is asking me to journey into the Twilight Zone Grin
What was bothering me was how to keep my top/bottom keel true to shape, and the side keels equal/true to shape. Tongue
I didn't what to resort to a box fuse with formers, (extra weight), but Dave uses his top/bottom keels laid out ON the plan...temp glue sticks, then clamp THEM into my box, marking center line..which keeps the fuse aligned Smiley
Then add all the top stringers, remove from box, flip over and reclamp in box,,,add as many as possible, then remove and add the rest of the stringers. Remove the cross pieces...done!

We had a major snow here in lower Tn...same storm went thru Texas came here. I couldn't get outta my neighborhood...I lost a week of work, but still, I faired better than a lot of poor folks...but I couldn't get to Jacobs to get my box...maybe this Saturday....but now I will start cutting formers/keel pieces....now that I know how to use them!
Thanks again skypilot!

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #33 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Power package chosen?...I just need to get another motor and esc....

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #32 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
A BIG thank you to member KIWI over at the other site~ Nevell has sent a set of blueprints/photos that shows the true fuselage shape. She is a slimmer bird than my plans shown....but with a flatter bottom...the bomb bay area will be easier to make, and the rear gunner door!
My templates will be re-drawn, and soon.....I will have my jig finished, and will start this project!
I can slip a pair of 3 blade 6" props in...it's close, so power will be great.

for now...more re-search'in! Cheesy
marc

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #31 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I think 1/16" sq would be adequate.  If you think more strength is necessary you could use 3/32" sq stringers at the dorsal, ventral and horizontals locations and 1/16"sq inbetween these stringers. Just thinking outloud.

Check out Mike Stuart's Beech King Air with outboard detachable wing panels: Click Here

Here's the link to his plans for the King Air: Click Here
He has some great pics of the tongue and socket setup for the outer wing panels.

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #30 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Tom, I have kicked some ideas around....I believe the best is to have one bulkhead former made from 1/32 ply that has 'arms' that will mate with the front wing spar....or something like this...and I know engineering wise, I can make the engines part of the wing permanent with the fuse...the outer panels removable.
I haven't seen any pictures that show any wing flaring....just plain to mate the wing to the fuse???....maybe all this will work.

Tom, what size of stringers would you use? 1/16"?

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Are you building a box for the spars to fit into with removable wing panels?  I'm still not clear on just how your wing will be constructed.  Solid center section with engine nacelles/removable outer wing panels?  Just curious on how the center section will be fitted to the fuselage?  This is a center/mid wing setup.  Will you leave open top or bottom of fuselage for placement of the wing??   Not sure just how you are approaching this construction.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #28 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Kiwi...pm sent Smiley
Been working between the Astra plans and Cleveland plans. Down loaded multiple 3 views...seems there's a small discrepancy between them...I'm making a MK III with the Brit turret and lower gun deck.
The Astra plans are nice, but the WS in not to scale, like 5" short!...but it is a scratch build, so it shows lots of formers and ribs etc.. Smiley
The Cleveland plan has much more scale details, and correct WS and elev/rudder are correct. Nice details of how to hinge surfaces too!
Both plans didn't have the mid-bottom correct. The Bombay door are needs to have its correct radius to fill them bays up!....so I've been drafting and cutting formers all morning. It snowed 2-3" last night here in lower Tennessee, and still cold outside. So I'm fully involved in my balsa wagon plans today Cheesy
Here's my progress, I have 12 bulkheads cut out on paper, they still need to have the stringer cutouts marked. I haven't decided what size and how many.....I'm looking for a light bird...please tell me size and distance you would do....keep in mind, she's 30" long, and 6" tall...
I will plan a bulkhead to mate with the main spar(there will be a forward main spar, and a smaller rear spar) so no real 'wing saddle' plate will be needed....just small amount of 1/20" to anchor the covering to at wing roots.

Really enjoying this build....it has a lot of engineering to work out!
Marc

IP Logged

Kiwi
4 Star Member

Reply #27 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I've got some drawings so PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a scan.

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with Fancy Watches

IP Logged

Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #26 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Progress...slowly, I got the wood for the jig table, and the 1st of the week I will get Jacob to cut it out...I look forward to having it...fuselage straightness will be a everyday thing! Cool
Meanwhile, I have a stagger bee to finish....and a small repair job for a friend...

I also got 2sets of rubber plans now, so my 3views and these plans, I will draw out my formers....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint