Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Light colors over dark colors "How To" (Read 4929 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Light colors over dark colors "How To"
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 10:42am
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from Display/Static Models [move by] Sky9pilot.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Light colors over dark colors "How To"
Feb 12th, 2021 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Good evening everyone,

I'd like to take a brief departure from the model build to show you a really neat-o trick that was taught to me many years ago that I long forgot. 

As my previous reply # 608: I mentioned I had to give that dark blue canvas about 4 coats of light beige paint to cover the dark color. 

Today, it dawned on me to first use silver paint!  That''s right.  To be able to paint a light color over a dominant dark color, first give it a single coat of silver.  The silver will eliminate or neutralize any dark colors. 

After the silver paint dries, then paint or spray a coat or two of the lighter color, and Voila' instant coverage!!.

I really don't know where to post this thread as it applies to almost any model, anything dealing with painting a light coat over a dark coat.  This can be used to say, paint a section of a dark blue wing with a coat of silver paint, then slide the white star and bar insignia decal over this area without any fear of the blue leaking through the white.  Of course, this requires careful masking beforehand, but my point is anyone can apply a light colored decal over a top coat of silver paint without fear of the dark color leaking through. 

Only caution would be to make sure that the silver paint is compatible with the dark colored paint or any light colored top coat.

The enclosed pictures show the actual results.

Cheers

( 147 KB | 27 Downloads )
P-51_pilot_s_seat_model___15_001.jpeg
( 111 KB | 24 Downloads )
P-51_pilot_s_seat_model___15A.jpeg
( 89 KB | 26 Downloads )
P-51_pilot_s_seat_model___15B.jpeg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint