Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Another Giant NoCal (Read 506 times)
Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: Another Giant NoCal
Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2021 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Sorry that I didn't get the video this weekend.  My fault, I haven't used my Sony ActionCam in about a year, and simply didn't get it into record  for the Beaufighter flights.  I did prove my point about multi-motor rubber ships not needing opposite rotating props.  With the drag tab on it flies in a 50 foot circle.  I took the drag tab off and it went straight as an arrow...for a bit longer than I wanted to chase it at my age.

I also flew my A-frame pusher, "Old School" which flies left under power and glides right and that does have opposite rotating props.  The secret of that is that one prop has more pitch than the other.  Get the video next time.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
WoW inspiring KF.  Looks wonderful!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
My original prototype of the Giant NoCal Beaufighter was built with 1/16" stock like the smaller version.  It flew well but would warp on a warm breath.  The current, production, beta prototype is made with 3/32" stock.  It's not that much heavier but is much more easily handled and transported.  After a slight redraw of the British temperate camouflage skin I will release it for production.  Look for it December 1st.

The short test flight in the video was just because Dave Gee asked me to do it.  It was flown with a few hundred turns on single loops of 3/32" rubber with a large, acetate drag tab on the right wing to get it to turn in the small gym.  On 1/8" rubber, outdoors, it's a different animal.  I'll get some outdoor video of it this weekend.

KF

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVY3ZEZ8gCc

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Well, I still didn't get to see what the Beaufighter can do.  I took it to Round Valley but forgot the stooge!  Dave Gee and I thought about finding a two person method of winding it but it suffered from a problem that many of our other models did, warps from altitude and humidity.  When we unpacked our models we found that many of them had warped going from 830 feet above sea level and 50% humidity to 7080 feet above sea level and 7% humidity.  We were more concerned with straightening out the models we were competing with than sorting out the Beaufighter.   More later.

Round Valley Dome is a very interesting venue. It is a flattened dome over a sports stadium, 95 feet high in the center and 400 feet across.  The altitude requires that you use about twice as much rubber as near sea level to get a good climb (unless you are flying the F.A.I film covered stuff) and the glide is not as good but you can get some spectacular flights in the space.

KF

( 235 KB | 33 Downloads )
Dome.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Reminds me of Vance's Musings a while ago in the FAC newsletter.  I believe he was talking of up to 36"+ for multi's.  I love the concept! Keep us informed!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Giant NoCal, as our club has flown it, is "recognizable" scale, max 24" wing span, 2, 3, or 4, motors and has to ROG.  Fictional aircraft are allowed.  The contest is called 2 ,3 ,Or 4 Off The Floor.  This Beaufighter has a 24 inch wing span.  You get some interesting models with some very ingenious motor arrangements.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
She looks wonderful!  What's her span? Videos soon I hope!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Another Giant NoCal
Feb 15th, 2021 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I did a Giant NoCal version of the Beaufighter.  The skins are inkjet printed, applied with glue stick and shrunk with rubbing alcohol while pinned down.  The balancing clay in the picture turned out to be about twice what was needed.  (You do take a picture of a model BEFORE test flying it, don't you?)

The scale effect is confirmed...it is much easier to trim than the smaller one.  The first testing outdoors was very satisfying but it has been too windy here to really find out what it can do and there are no indoor venues open here because of Covid.  I will take it with me to Round Valley at the end of April.  It's not a recognized class but maybe the contest director will let me fly it on practice day.

KF

( 291 KB | 35 Downloads )
bones_smaller.jpg
( 244 KB | 35 Downloads )
Giant_NoCal_Beau_3.jpg
( 278 KB | 56 Downloads )
Giant_NoCal_Beau_2_001.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint