Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Jimmy Allen's Bluebird Racer (Read 201 times)
neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Re: Jimmy Allen's Bluebird Racer
Reply #6 - yesterday at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Cheers, AK! Have been checking in daily on your Bluebird Project. Hoping all is going well and you've not hit any serious snags. I've personally had so many issues keeping me from my balsa that it seems a crime, but hopefully soon I'll get back into the swing of things. In the meantime I'm enjoying following your build. BTW, we have 5 Bluebird families the wife and I have provided lodging for. So fantastic watching them raise their brood! Look foward to your continuance.

Neo

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Really like your build, Andy...and I'm a definite proponent of the box-fuselage method you've used...call it a "traditional" feeling in keeping with the original design...sort-of modeling art-deco.  Smiley  I also think it's the easiest way to keep the model's weight down.  I am looking forward to seeing her covered.  That black tissue can be tough to work with...might consider spraying your favorite-to-work-with light-colored tissue.Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
AK...up to your usual excellent craftsmanship!  I look forward to seeing this one coming together! Keep up the great work!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Neo! I've made some minor revisions to the plan. The top and side fuselage longerons are 1/8"x1/16" and the rest are 1/16" square. I decided to flatten out the fuselage sides and eliminated some stringers to save weight. The fuselage formers are 1/16" and the wing ribs are 1/32".

I used Bob Holman's fuselage jigs and found them to be very helpful.

The horizontal and vertical stabs are built up with 1/16" stringers according to the plan. I wanted more of an airfoil shape and liked the additional sturdiness of the laminated stringers.

I used 1/16' sheet to make the rear fuselage turtleback and the nose filleting.

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:07am
Print Post  
AK, your Bluebird Racer is really looking very grand! The woodwork is very neat and tidy and I'm so impressed with your construction of the empennage. Are you using a 1/20 or 1/16 balsa. The wing ribs appear to be 1/32. Is that so? I'll be eagerly watching your build to fruition. The wife and I have a woodland home complete with good population of scarlet and lemon tanagers. the scarlet my favourite. Good  choice for your "bird"  Smiley

Neo

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Most of the big pieces done. The fuselage box takes quite a bit of time, maybe a keel technique would be quicker and easier.

( 288 KB | 44 Downloads )
bb_001.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Jimmy Allen's Bluebird Racer
Mar 15th, 2021 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Also known as the Scarlet Tanager. I'm going to user the scarlet and black/grey colors from the actual bird. W/S about 20".

Pretty straight forward build except for the wing mount (gull section). The plan tends to leave us guessing about how that all comes together.

I've got the wing panels and stab done. I'm waiting for a Bob Holman box fuselage jig that I ordered before I start the fuselage...I want to build a bird, not a banana!!

( 338 KB | 39 Downloads )
bb_a.jpg
( 32 KB | 21 Downloads )
Bluebird_001.jpg
( 55 KB | 14 Downloads )
st1_001.jpg
( 82 KB | 13 Downloads )
st2_001.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint