Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jetstream from an original Midwest kit (Read 539 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Jetstream from an original Midwest kit
Reply #26 - yesterday at 10:39am
Print Post  
Looking good Pete... I've found that the humidity here in the Pacific Northwest is something to be dealt with also.  Coming from California to here I really hadn't had to deal with that much humidity in CA.  But up here there are days where we are well above the 50% level.  I'm learning new techniques and timing for covering in this setting.  I think you're going to enjoy this glider very much! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - yesterday at 8:16am
Print Post  
Thanks Tom!  I'll be screw-mounting the servo for maintenance issue that are sure to crop up, and the timer will probably get taped in.  I was initially thinking of screw-mounting the timer also, but this particular model is inexpensive enough that I'll just order a couple more when needed.  There is a guy here in Germany that is now producing a timer in a single package (includes servo) and has provision for RDT that does not break the bank (shipping kills the nice ones out of the States for me).

It's been very wet here for the past couple of weeks, driving up the humidity to "postpone covering" levels Angry.  I've gotten SOME done on the few opportunities where the humidity has gotten below 50% - it's been mostly over 70%.

( 72 KB | 5 Downloads )
DSCF6643.jpg
( 65 KB | 4 Downloads )
DSCF6645.jpg

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - May 6th, 2021 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Looks great Pete, the thin balsa will trim it out perfectly.  Good luck with deciding how to retain them.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - May 6th, 2021 at 8:47am
Print Post  
What the fuselage will look like with the hatch covers  - which will get a thin balsa "veneer" to blend in better.  The switch still needs to be mounted on the rear cover.  I haven't fully decided whether to tape or screw the covers in place Undecided.  As I plan to use the switch in a variety of models it has to be easily removed and tape can get messy.

Next comes covering the rest and balancing...the covering part being delayed by very cold and wet weather (right now it's 48°F and rain, last nite 35) thru Saturday.  Sunday is forcast for 84 Shocked!

( 151 KB | 7 Downloads )
DSCF6642.jpg

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - May 5th, 2021 at 6:45am
Print Post  
I really dislike covering undercambered wings, so I started getting the DT system made up.  Requires chopping holes in the beautiful fuselage wood and mounting the gubbins to 1mm ply hatches.  The hatches are inset for aerodynamic reasons, that practically all competition fliers don't bother with - reasoning that at the slow airspeed that these planes fly at it isn't noticeable.  I feel that surface mounted hatches look funky.

( 220 KB | 4 Downloads )
DSCF6640.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2021 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Getting around to covering the glider - finally.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm using "Japico" tissue which is slightly heavier than ESAKI, somewhat coarser, doesn't have the aggressive shrink rate of ESAKI and is a bit more color intensive (except for the blue) - but has practically NO wet strength.  Grain is similar to ESAKI.  I've used this stuff before and liked it, but that was back in the dark ages.

Stab is covered and the first steam shrink done.  The color separations will be trimmed with a contrasting 1/8th stripe.

I'm using the same general scheme as on my SENATOR and will carry on with this scheme for most of my outdoor duration models.

( 153 KB | 12 Downloads )
DSCF6637.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Wing tips have been added and carved.  Complete airframe has been given a coat of thinned sanding sealer and will be fine sanded today or tomorrow, with covering planned over the weekend.

I haven't decided on a color scheme, but it will involve the four colors I have (JAPICO tissue) - blue, red yellow and white.  It'll be simple, stressing visibility.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:59am
Print Post  
All major construction completed with only the wingtips to be added.  Final shaping, installation of the DT system and covering follows.

Weight of the airframe as shown - 87 grams
DT system including gubbins <12 grams

A gasbag so far Shocked

In the photo, the wing tips are just clothespined to the center section.

( 161 KB | 13 Downloads )
DSCF6631a.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Got one of the wing tips framed out and sheeted and started shaping the main panel LE.  The remaining wing tip is also being framed out.

The timer I'll be using is shown on the wing main panel. Still have to dig out one of my sub-micro servos.

One of the nice things about "square" wings is that one doesn't need to build "on-the-plan".

( 134 KB | 12 Downloads )
DSCF6628a.jpg
( 140 KB | 11 Downloads )
DSCF6629a.jpg
( 117 KB | 10 Downloads )
DSCF6630a.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 7:35am
Print Post  
A little more progress.

I also found a reasonably priced electronic timer that uses a servo for actuation (servo not included) that I will be ordering.  AUW of the DT system (timer, servo and battery) is about 11 grams, so there is no weight penalty.  The glider will need approx. 25 grams in the snout anyway, so lead will still be necessary.

( 174 KB | 13 Downloads )
DSCF6626a.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Stab is ready for covering and the main panel (center) for the wing is slotted - ribs being glued in (drying) while writing this.

It's a good thing that I double-checked the rib spacing, as the tips have a narrower spacing than the center panel.  Normally, as in logical practice, rib spacing toward the tips would be either the same as the rest or progressively wider - not the other way around.  Lower mass toward the tips is better to allow quicker reaction to air currents and faster recovery from upsets.  I will, however, keep things original.  I MAY lighten the vertical stab, depending on the final weight of the model (from what I understand of the International A1 Postal, there is NO minimum weight).

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Stab is built, needing only sanding of the tips and covering.  Cutting the slots for the ribs in the TE was relatively easy using my stringer slotting tool and a spacer - just a bit more work than the adjustable setup I have on my table saw (that I can't get to at the moment due to the clutter).

I had some reservations with the leading edge sheeting in that it is very stiff wood, but the curvature of the ribs was /is not too great and came out OK.

( 134 KB | 13 Downloads )
DSCF6625a.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
A builder with your skills will have no problem whipping up an interim tool/jig that will fit the bill!
I look forward to your solution.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Have to notch the trailing edge strips - another item that was improved with later kits.  No big deal, but to do accurately, one should set up some kind of jig to get the spacing right and also the proper depth.

My "tool room" is still too cluttered from the time my Son and his wife (and two CATS) were living here, so getting to the tools needed is practically impossible...

Working on it...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
At least you've got timers. I hear you about the cost of the electric devices.  Lots of things above my price limit!

Looking forward to your next post!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint