Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jetstream from an original Midwest kit (Read 842 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Jetstream from an original Midwest kit
Reply #35 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Glad to hear it's working out for you!  Look forward to her maiden! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #34 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Printer cleared and working!  I lucked out in that the jets didn't get clogged up.

After letting the weather "dry" up, the rest of the wrinkles were mostly ade so I started doping the wing with 40/60 (dope/thinner) mix of Graupner's "Glattfix" (non tautening) to see if any issues would surface.  None did (as yet Roll Eyes) but the yellow was still a bit insistent on being a minor "fly in the soup" being VERY delicate.  Once I get a few coats on, I'll apply a full-strength coat.

Once it's gassed off for a couple of days, I might give it a thin, but full spritz of clear polyurethane varnish to "weatherproof" it.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #33 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Bummer...sorry to hear about the printer, but thanks for the info so we can avoid this in the future! Smiley

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #32 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Esaki tissuecal came out fine, then I tried the same with the Japico stuff (I wanted to maintain compatibility).  HUGE mistake!

I was planning a video evening, but instead I'll have to disassemble my printer for a total cleaning...  The Japico literally desintigrated Shocked Cry.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #31 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Repeated steam applications didn't do squat for shrinking, so I resorted to a full wet soak using my plant spritzer.  It WORKED Shocked, except for one panel where I spritzed a bit to vigorously (no wet strength).  It's otherwise still not perfect, but definitely passable.  Shrinking dope should take care of the rest the wrinkles.

Printing out a tissuecal atm on JAPICO to see how it comes out and one on ESAKI.  The left wing panel is slightly lighter than the right, so the rather large 'cal should bring the wing into perfect balance.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Looks great Pete...reminds me of the rc days and a Gentle Lady glider and hi-start we used!!!  Great fun!

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Covering completed and the tail surface shrunk (sort of Angry).  Yellow tissue used has hardly any shrink, and the red and orange only slightly better.  I'll have to use shrinking dope to get (hopefully) a decent finish.  Still have to "shrink" the wing, give the fin/rudder a coat of white paint and re-install the D/T bits.  Fuselage has two coats of 40% dope and will get at least another two full strength.

I just hope that I don't have to strip the wing and stab...  I maybe SHOULD have waited and order some of the "new" tissue Undecided.

( 350 KB | 6 Downloads )
DSCF6646.jpg
( 352 KB | 7 Downloads )
DSCF6647.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #28 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Nice job on the illustration!  It looks great! Can't wait to see it/them in place.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #27 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Scanned the graphics from the plan and cleaned it up up in GIMP and Paint Shop Pro to make either a decal or tissuecal.  Took a while and a few choice words Roll Eyes, but it turned out OK.  I SHOULD  have done this before covering, but...

( 189 KB | 7 Downloads )
Logo.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #26 - May 17th, 2021 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Looking good Pete... I've found that the humidity here in the Pacific Northwest is something to be dealt with also.  Coming from California to here I really hadn't had to deal with that much humidity in CA.  But up here there are days where we are well above the 50% level.  I'm learning new techniques and timing for covering in this setting.  I think you're going to enjoy this glider very much! Smiley

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - May 17th, 2021 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Thanks Tom!  I'll be screw-mounting the servo for maintenance issue that are sure to crop up, and the timer will probably get taped in.  I was initially thinking of screw-mounting the timer also, but this particular model is inexpensive enough that I'll just order a couple more when needed.  There is a guy here in Germany that is now producing a timer in a single package (includes servo) and has provision for RDT that does not break the bank (shipping kills the nice ones out of the States for me).

It's been very wet here for the past couple of weeks, driving up the humidity to "postpone covering" levels Angry.  I've gotten SOME done on the few opportunities where the humidity has gotten below 50% - it's been mostly over 70%.

( 72 KB | 13 Downloads )
DSCF6643.jpg
( 65 KB | 11 Downloads )
DSCF6645.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - May 6th, 2021 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Looks great Pete, the thin balsa will trim it out perfectly.  Good luck with deciding how to retain them.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - May 6th, 2021 at 8:47am
Print Post  
What the fuselage will look like with the hatch covers  - which will get a thin balsa "veneer" to blend in better.  The switch still needs to be mounted on the rear cover.  I haven't fully decided whether to tape or screw the covers in place Undecided.  As I plan to use the switch in a variety of models it has to be easily removed and tape can get messy.

Next comes covering the rest and balancing...the covering part being delayed by very cold and wet weather (right now it's 48°F and rain, last nite 35) thru Saturday.  Sunday is forcast for 84 Shocked!

( 151 KB | 13 Downloads )
DSCF6642.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - May 5th, 2021 at 6:45am
Print Post  
I really dislike covering undercambered wings, so I started getting the DT system made up.  Requires chopping holes in the beautiful fuselage wood and mounting the gubbins to 1mm ply hatches.  The hatches are inset for aerodynamic reasons, that practically all competition fliers don't bother with - reasoning that at the slow airspeed that these planes fly at it isn't noticeable.  I feel that surface mounted hatches look funky.

( 220 KB | 9 Downloads )
DSCF6640.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2021 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Getting around to covering the glider - finally.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm using "Japico" tissue which is slightly heavier than ESAKI, somewhat coarser, doesn't have the aggressive shrink rate of ESAKI and is a bit more color intensive (except for the blue) - but has practically NO wet strength.  Grain is similar to ESAKI.  I've used this stuff before and liked it, but that was back in the dark ages.

Stab is covered and the first steam shrink done.  The color separations will be trimmed with a contrasting 1/8th stripe.

I'm using the same general scheme as on my SENATOR and will carry on with this scheme for most of my outdoor duration models.

( 153 KB | 17 Downloads )
DSCF6637.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint