Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jetstream from an original Midwest kit (Read 4950 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Jetstream from an original Midwest kit
Reply #43 - Oct 31st, 2023 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Great job Pete...look forward to the maiden.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Charlieman
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #42 - Oct 30th, 2023 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Some might be surprised to learn that the original "original"Jetstream kit was not from Midwest, but by Ambroid. Yes, the infamous glue makers produced a number of kits in the late 1950's, early 60's. I received a newly minted Ambroid Jetstream for my 12th birthday. Later in decade, I remember unpacking newr Midwest kits of same design, were first appearing at Sheldon's Hobbies (San Jose CA), where I worked dusting and stocking shelves and sweeping up, etc.  Ages 13-16, 1964 thru 1966.

I was a little disappointed with the Ambroid kit balsa. It was light enough but was a very rough "A" grain, throughout. Ribs kept splitting etc. Would fracture easily when handled and flown normally etc. AS I recall when inspecting that first Midwest kit to cross my path, the wood was of noticeably of better selection/consistency.  My 1st A-1 (age 11) was plans built from a mag article by Frank Eling. My second one was also blown up from mag 3-view of "Spike" designed by same fellow as Jetstream.  Pretty much the same wing stab and fuselage, except it had an under fin and rudder, below the stab. 

All the best with yours!

charlie

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #41 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Plane has been ready to go for the past 3 weeks, but State car inspection plus minor repairs/mods and too much wind (always the situation when I have "time off") have kept me grounded.

I had to make a few changes to the DT setup, as the servo, in the original position ran "backwards".  Flipping the servo over, so that the output slot was at the top got things working the way it is supposed to.  The timer I got out of GB works a treat and is very accurate.  weight of the model RTF is presently at 160 grams, and the initial test tosses in the back yard yesterday showed that it was very nose heavy (at the plan CG/decalage and 165 grams).  i removed 5 grams for another toss - still diving, but not as bad.  Had to quit due to a shower.

I hope to get to the field tomorrow or Saturday for a REAL test, maybe even an initial tow.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #40 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Nice!

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #39 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Tissuecal printed on the fuzzy side of the ESAKI and now mounted and sealed to the wing.  The less dense ESAKI blended in almost perfectly with the underlaying covering, making it hardly noticeable (only in photos and intense close scrutiny).

( 144 KB | 89 Downloads )
DSCF6658.jpg

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #38 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Nice tissue cal love the eagle!

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #37 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Still no decent conditions for a test glide Angry, but at least the new electragoodies arrived yesterday.  Mounted the servo and timer to the hatches, printed a new tissuecal at 80% (full size would have added too much weight - the wing came out almost perfectly balanced Shocked).  Printing on yellow ESAKI, the red highlights were totally washed out, so a bit of touch-up will be needed once the tissuecal is mounted and sealed.

( 155 KB | 72 Downloads )
DSCF6656.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #36 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I was hoping to get a few test glides in the past few days, but the wind has been playing havoc here.  The glider is finished except for a bit of trim and a new battery for the timer.  The servo also needs an adapter for the connector.

A fuse is temporarily installed for the test glides (unless the battery and adapter get here before the wind lets up Roll Eyes).

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #35 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Glad to hear it's working out for you!  Look forward to her maiden! Smiley

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #34 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Printer cleared and working!  I lucked out in that the jets didn't get clogged up.

After letting the weather "dry" up, the rest of the wrinkles were mostly ade so I started doping the wing with 40/60 (dope/thinner) mix of Graupner's "Glattfix" (non tautening) to see if any issues would surface.  None did (as yet Roll Eyes) but the yellow was still a bit insistent on being a minor "fly in the soup" being VERY delicate.  Once I get a few coats on, I'll apply a full-strength coat.

Once it's gassed off for a couple of days, I might give it a thin, but full spritz of clear polyurethane varnish to "weatherproof" it.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #33 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Bummer...sorry to hear about the printer, but thanks for the info so we can avoid this in the future! Smiley

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #32 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Esaki tissuecal came out fine, then I tried the same with the Japico stuff (I wanted to maintain compatibility).  HUGE mistake!

I was planning a video evening, but instead I'll have to disassemble my printer for a total cleaning...  The Japico literally desintigrated Shocked Cry.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #31 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Repeated steam applications didn't do squat for shrinking, so I resorted to a full wet soak using my plant spritzer.  It WORKED Shocked, except for one panel where I spritzed a bit to vigorously (no wet strength).  It's otherwise still not perfect, but definitely passable.  Shrinking dope should take care of the rest the wrinkles.

Printing out a tissuecal atm on JAPICO to see how it comes out and one on ESAKI.  The left wing panel is slightly lighter than the right, so the rather large 'cal should bring the wing into perfect balance.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Looks great Pete...reminds me of the rc days and a Gentle Lady glider and hi-start we used!!!  Great fun!

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Covering completed and the tail surface shrunk (sort of Angry).  Yellow tissue used has hardly any shrink, and the red and orange only slightly better.  I'll have to use shrinking dope to get (hopefully) a decent finish.  Still have to "shrink" the wing, give the fin/rudder a coat of white paint and re-install the D/T bits.  Fuselage has two coats of 40% dope and will get at least another two full strength.

I just hope that I don't have to strip the wing and stab...  I maybe SHOULD have waited and order some of the "new" tissue Undecided.

( 350 KB | 86 Downloads )
DSCF6646.jpg
( 352 KB | 78 Downloads )
DSCF6647.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint