Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How to apply printed tissue (Read 401 times)
toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: How to apply printed tissue
Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Hi
I use PowerPoint because of the ShapeFill Eyedropper feature ability to match colour precisely to a JPG image eg. colour photo of an actual aircraft. 
Use closest font for identification numbers. 
Like PowerPoint ability to size the print area, bigger or smaller.
All the best
Smiley

IP Logged

Rekitus Maximus
3 Star Member

re-kitter extrordinaire

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Hi Mike,
I appreciate all the info and pointers
off to read at the link  then find GIMP...

victor

re-kitter extrordinaire

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #21 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Hi Victor.  I've been using GIMP (free) for image editing and PowerPoint (because I already have it and am familiar with it from years of PowerPoint abuse in military service).  GIMP makes it easy to crop out and rotate specific irregular portions of an image (such as an aileron, flap, canopy, etc).  PowerPoint is good for sizing, stretching and assembling graphics, and inserting and manipulating line work and text into the graphics.

GIMP will probably do much of the stretching and assembly that I do in PowerPoint, but since I know how to get what I want with PowerPoint I haven't taken the time to explore doing that in GIMP.

Inkscape is a free and very comprehensive graphics program.  I tried it and found it difficult to learn, probably because my mind has been warped by too much PowerPoint.

Aeromodeller magazine published an article I wrote on doing the tissue for the Guillows FW190 in their most recent issue (Issue 1009, June 2021). You can get the magazine digitally here: https://pocketmags.com/us/aeromodeller-magazine

Hope this helps,

Mike

IP Logged

Rekitus Maximus
3 Star Member

re-kitter extrordinaire

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2021 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I am baaaaack....

I dunno know why, I went a bought a Guillows fw190
maybe the dark gray tissue or lack of laser cut parts of the skyraider...

that is sorta news.

what I am asking is what draw/paint/image program do you guys use?

I was tinkering with paint 3D† 'cause it is free.

what I'd like is a way to stretch some lines?
I don't think I need longer, but taller or bigger to go around?

paint 3d looks powerful and it has been 'not doing' what I want
so there is a bunch to learn there, and if y'all are using something else,
I'd like to go with the crowd.

victor

re-kitter extrordinaire

IP Logged

Rekitus Maximus
3 Star Member

re-kitter extrordinaire

Reply #19 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
thank you very much PB_Guy!

now I have all the work to get that to happen.
... ok and a plane to build.

again, I appreciate the help.

victor

re-kitter extrordinaire

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #18 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Do a search for Skyraider three-view and you will find images like on this page:
Skyraider but you will probably want an image with a higher resolution. There is a link to a zip file lower down on that page with a much larger image attached.

Find your schematic and overlay it onto a side and a top view of your model from the guillows plan (scanned to a digital image). You will need to make sizing adjustments so that the two images fit well. Then make adjustments to the panel lines so that they fit your model image. Then leave markings that enable you to properly size the finished product because all you will have left is the panel lines and no guides for sizing. That is the simple statement. The exact steps are far more complex as you will find out. You need to use some kind of 'paint' program and 'transparent' layers so that you can see both views at the same time.

† Once you have your final product, sizing it to the model is the easy part.

Alternatively, you could forego the printing on tissue, and draw the panel lines in place on the tissue with a pen.
ian

IP Logged

Rekitus Maximus
3 Star Member

re-kitter extrordinaire

Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 12:34am
Print Post  

I have tried a search... 
I have little doubt the answer is here somewhere...

I bought a guillows skyraider to try this printed tissue covering.
where does one go to get the art work?

I also have no good pointers for how to ... erm...
Size it to the model...
I think PB-(need rest of name) had a good
overall sizing instruction for the printer

the kit has a dark grey so I think I need to print on a lighter grey
or a white.

I can use the kit decals buuuuut I want the panel lines etc.

victor

re-kitter extrordinaire

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #16 - May 31st, 2021 at 7:37am
Print Post  
alfakilo wrote on May 30th, 2021 at 10:24am:
...I'm tinkering with the idea of dissolving a glue stick to make a liquid out of it. Jury's still out on that.

I had some old Elmers and UHU glue sticks, so I put pieces of the glue in a bottle with some water. Slow to dissolve so I gave it 10 seconds in the microwave. That sped things up a bit. After letting it sit for a while, I came back to find the glue had expanded to at least twice its original size and was very thick.

After thinning this goop with more water, I brushed it on a test frame. Worked well. I liked that the glue did not seem to darken the frame as some time happens when I use a liquid to apply tissue. More results to come.

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #15 - May 30th, 2021 at 10:24am
Print Post  
My thanks also to Mike and Don for their tips and suggestions. My difficulties seem to be attributed to three factors. One, the quality of the tissue itself, primarily wet strength and shrinking ability. The grey tissue I'm using for the Scarlet Tanager isn't very good in either. Does not like to be stretched much at all when wet, so I've done the wing in sections.

Next, the shape of the surface to be covered. Flat panels are great but when working with curves that go in both directions, not so much. High strength tissue like Esaki makes it a little easier but for the most part, I deal with these curved surfaces by using small panels to keep a curve in one direction only.

And last, the adhesiveness of the glue itself. I have problems with the tissue coming off stringers when the tissue is tightening up. I pre-dope (EZ Dope or regular dope) and then lightly sand the wood before covering. I've tried just about every glue stick that I can find and am still looking for one that is dependable. The Aqua Mono liquid is showing promise, and I'm tinkering with the idea of dissolving a glue stick to make a liquid out of it. Jury's still out on that.

What I really could use is a good video of  compound curve covering. I've watched that goofy guy with the yellow tissue but can't stand the dialogue between him and his friend! But he does do a nice job.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - May 28th, 2021 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
I want to thank Don and Mike for their input on printing tissue and how to apply it to the model.  Great stuff fellas! 

I remembered an article in the Jul-Aug 2019 FACN by Rick Pendzick on how to glue tissue to a backing for putting tissue through the printer.  I've made a PDF of the short article and am posting it here for anyone that might find it useful.
Sky9pilot

PRINTED_TISSUE_EASY_RELEASE_GLUE.pdf ( 417 KB | 10 Downloads )

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2021 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
AK, sorry to be late responding to your question Ė I was out of town this weekend.† My approach is very similar to Donís.† I look for natural break points on the fuselage, either in structure or color transitions.† I prefer to cover in about four sections Ė lower aft fuselage, fuselage sides up to the cowl including the top of the aft fuselage (and fin if integral to the fuselage), the top of the fuselage forward of the canopy, and the cowl area.† The cowl area usually gets split into side, top and bottom, and maybe a separate section for the forward lip - bottom of the cowl may get covered with the rest of the bottom of the fuselage if that's easier for a particular fuselage shape or color scheme.† See attached examples of my FW-190 and Spitfire.

Breaking up the fuselage covering in this way usually allows aligning all the pieces fairly easily.† Iíve done the FW, a Tempest and a Spitfire with this approach and was satisfied with the outcome Ė the most challenging one was the Tempest, where I had to make another segment on the lower fuselage sides to keep the invasion stripes vertical going around the rounded and tapered aft section.† If possible make your tissue breaks along panel lines Ė that gives a little more flexibility in overlapping the segments and helps hide the tissue joints.

For ring-shaped sections like the forward lip of a radial engine cowling you can use a cone calculator (there are lots of them online) to develop a pattern that will follow the contour of the cowl and let you smooth it around the lip with a minimum of wrinkles.

After trying several methods Iíve mostly settled on covering with the tissue damp, using glue stick as the adhesive.† The Tempest and Spitfire were done with Esaki, the FW-190 used the Guillowís kit tissue.† I try to get the edges of the tissue smooth (no wrinkles across the glue line), but donít try to get it completely tight everywhere while damp.† Let the tissue shrink itself smooth as it dries Ė if itís getting dry and has unacceptable wrinkles or isnít aligned properly run a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol along the glue line, lift the tissue and try again.† Itíll often take me several tries to get it right.

Iíll make a plug for using PanPastel artistís chalk powder on the back of the printed tissue.† It really makes the colors and markings show, much more like printing on regular paper than tissue, especially after the tissue has been sealed with dope or Krylon.† It also really helps hide tissue overlaps at joints, because the underlying surface doesnít show through the chalked tissue nearly as much as raw printed tissue.

I don't use any fixtures when applying the tissue - just set the part on my workbench or in my lap.

Hope this helps,

Mike
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2021 at 4:03pm by MKelly »  

( 158 KB | 17 Downloads )
FW-190_Covering_Example.jpg
( 135 KB | 13 Downloads )
Spitfire_Covering_Example_Small.jpg

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2021 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
I have set up some printed tissue formats for my peanut Wildcat.

Will post the details on the Wildcat page.

Smiley

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2021 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks Don and everyone for sharing  photos and description of your approach for printed tissue.  No Esaki here but I will have a go with what I can get.

IP Logged

Don McLellan
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2021 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Thank you AK, Rekitus.

Further to your question AK, it depends on how curved the fuse is.  Generally I try to cover as large an area as possible, in one go.  But if the fuse is curved in two directions, sometimes I'll cover between two stringers and between two formers only. 

In the first pic, I covered from just to the left of the M to the cockpit (two stringers wide) in one go.  You can see some wrinkles just forward of the F, but those are there because that lower tissue has not yet been glued to the stringer.

The second pic shows the first piece of tissue (one piece) installed and trimmed.  There are some areas where I could not get the tissue wrinkle free, so separate pieces of tissue were used to cover those areas.  (Third pic).

Last pic is the mostly covered fuse.

( 224 KB | 24 Downloads )
B_17_100.jpg
( 185 KB | 25 Downloads )
B_17_101.jpg
( 185 KB | 23 Downloads )
B_17_102.jpg
( 184 KB | 23 Downloads )
B_17_103.jpg

IP Logged

Rekitus Maximus
3 Star Member

re-kitter extrordinaire

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2021 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I am going to join in the thanks and appreciation.
In that way some one who is good at making a difficult task look easy,
you make it look easy.

To try any of this I am going to have to
build a round fuselage kit and get appropriate tissue...

hmmmmm.

victor

re-kitter extrordinaire

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint