Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Douglas SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber (Read 3655 times)
toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Douglas SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber
Reply #32 - Feb 14th, 2022 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
A photo from my file, the kit of parts in process.

( 211 KB | 35 Downloads )
IMG_1996_Dauntless_Formers_Y.jpg

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #31 - Feb 13th, 2022 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Thanks Kerak,

You are correct.

My apologies, my mistake, a grammar error/typo with the numbers round the wrong way.  Almost all were lost.  Modified the earlier post.

Photo of the progress on the model to date.

Decided to build in a bit more strength. 

Laminated the wing and tailplane LE and trailing edges with 1/16 square as I felt they were a bit flimsy.  Added 1/16 sheet to the base of the fin.

Photo of the major components resting in place.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2022 at 5:58pm by toulouse »  

( 107 KB | 54 Downloads )
IMG_2757__5_.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #30 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Been a while since I constructed my TBD...but as I recall, the numbers were more like 41 launched, 3 recovered!  The Midway operation was changed from sop used at Coral Sea...with the fighters staying with the SBD's...TBD's being unprotected.

The usual torpedo attack called for a simultaneous attack on a target from two sides...nice work if you can get it.  At Coral Sea it was achieved...but with only limited success.  So for Midway it was changed to allow the SBD's to be covered by the fighters.  That all changed when Torpedo 8 from Hornet broke formation...located the Japanese task force...then went in alone.  That was the end of Torpedo 8.  It did however bring the Japanese CAP down to sea level...just in time for the SBD's to arrive and attack (with fighters).  The majority of TBD's were lost at sea without ever having encountered the enemy!  Interestingly...the brass tried to CYA by claiming the unprotected TBD attack was the original plan...an historic and heroic sacrifice...bs...even tried to discredit the TBD's!

That's what I recall off the top of my head...subject to correction.  When Torpedo 8 broke formation and turned away to locate and attack the Japanese on their own, just imagine the thoughts that went through the minds of those TBD aircrew.  "Good night, John (Waldron)."

Neal

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #29 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Compare Courage:

This painting is from: indiegogo.com
[i]"The Charge of the Devastators TBD at Midway".
[/i]

41 Devastators attacked.
35 did not return to their carriers.

All but one of Torpedo 8 Devastators were shot down.
(Earlier error corrected)

At Pearl Harbour the Japanese Kate torpedo planes attacked after the fighters, high level and dive bombers as Torpedo bombers were considered the most vulnerable to flak and fighter defenses.

While B17 and other Midway based aircraft attacked the Japanese fleet first, the TBD Devastators from the carriers went in first with no US fighter support.

Second painting is [i]Requiem for TBD 8 [/i]by Gil Cohen.
Aviation Art Hangar
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2022 at 1:04am by toulouse »  

( 6 KB | 52 Downloads )
220213_Charge_of_TB8_Devastators.jpg
( 56 KB | 46 Downloads )
220213_Requiem_TBD8.jpg

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #28 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Re Courage:
Lt Jack "Dusty" Kreiss of Enterprise Scouting Squadron 7,  S 7 attack on Kaga at Midway.
Copy of David Gray painting titled "Dauntless Courage"

( 75 KB | 48 Downloads )
220213_dauntless-courage-by-david-gray-sbd-2.jpg

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #27 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks Alfakilo,

Cyclone Dovi continues here, max of 153mm rain in 24 hours, and 100kph plus winds at peak.

SBD wing ribs photo is from earlier on before cleaning up and sanding.

Smiley

( 140 KB | 30 Downloads )
IMG_1994__5_.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Kerak wrote on Feb 12th, 2022 at 10:06am:
  Perhaps fearful isn't the correct word...but an aviator had better be "on his game."

I would agree that words such as "afraid", "scared" and "fearful" are not making the point. In fact, if someone was to intentionally use these terms, I would advise him to go do something else with his life. Otherwise they are likely to be a threat to themselves and others. In my time as an instructor in the USAF, on two occasions (once in F-4s and once in A-10s) I had a young pilot express his misgivings about flying. After listening to what I had to say, they both thought it over for a bit and then quit. No harm, no foul...it just wasn't to be.

Instead, I would substitute words such as "aware", "attentive", "alert", and "well informed" as to a pilot's state of mind when he releases the brakes. Murphy's out there, and contrary to popular opinion, it can happen to you.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #25 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Now that puts a smile on my face...you're back!  Really good to hear from you, Toulouse!  Yes, business has a way of getting in the way of pleasure...certainly does.

I agree completely with you concerning military aviators all being heroes.  Absolutely.  I asked a friend once upon a time if he'd ever been fearful when he flew.  His response, "Yep, every time I did a startup and rolled down that runway."  I had to think about that for a while...but it makes sense.  That time...may just be the last time.  Perhaps fearful isn't the correct word...but an aviator had better be "on his game."

Welcome back, Toulouse! Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #24 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Kittyfritters and Kerak.
Thanks for your posts on the white fin markings on the SBD for the LSO to line up the leading edge of the wing.  I noticed this in SBD photos and spent some time researching it.  I should have made time to read this forum. 
We have heavy rain and cyclone forecast so I am not going out to the garage today.
I have started thinking about printed tissue for the SBD. 
I used a photo from the Naval National Aviation Museum as a colour reference matching with the inkdropper MS PowerPoint Shape Fill method.  Richard Best (black 6) the museum SBD aircraft is in Midway Colours.  I have set up templates for the wings and tailplane and fin so far.  I have the white fin stripes set up.  I designed my own roundels and matched the roundel colours to actual colour.

Every man or woman who flew in a WW2 aircraft is a hero in my book.  The Naval Museum SBD is Richard Best.  I am likely to use the markings of Lt Jack Dusty Kleiss Scouting Squadron 6, marked as S7 as I have been reading his book and there is a photo of his SBD.

HTTPS://WWW.NAVALAVIATIONMUSEUM.ORG/THINGS-TO-DO/AIRCRAFTS-GALLERIES/
SBD-2 DAUNTLESS

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #23 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Reply to Kerak,
Thanks for your post Earth to Kiwi, Come in Kiwi,
Well all's well that ends well.
Firstly your story about the Grumman Avenger.
For years there was one at the gate of Te Rapa Airforce Base near Hamilton NZ. 

Military Units were a big part of the Community in the 1950's.  When I was in the 1st XV Rugby Team at High School we played, Te Rapa Air Force Base, also Hopu Hopu Army Base and NZ Armyc Cadets Waiouru Base.  Many of our teachers were veterans and grocers, tradesmen and shop people were also.  Easily identifiable many wore Returned Serviceman's Association (RSA) badges.

After WW2 returning Air Force types started the aerial top dressing industry based around Hamilton. Tiger Moths initially up to a DC3.  We had a bach at Waihi Beach and I walked a couple of miles to watch a DH Beaver top dresser in action.  Non stop take offs, fertiliser drop, low sweeps land, reload, and repeat.

Great stuff Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #22 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Found it challenging to cement accurately together edge to edge the top and bottom keels.  After several attempts and re breaks decided to install a 1/16th balsa cockpit floor to provide the structural surety.

This was a successful approach.

Smiley

( 148 KB | 47 Downloads )
IMG_2686__4_.JPG

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Douglas SBD Dauntless Dive Bombel
Reply #21 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 12:20am
Print Post  
It was hard to ignore some events in 2021

The NZ Government and Wellington District Council and Wellington City Council have claimed over 51% of our section as a Significant Natural Reserve (SNA).  No compensation, no appeal or negotiation, and our Courts System sidelined.  Many consider all of this to be illegal however the Govt did a thorough job of removing all traditional legal defenses individuals and their families might pursue in passing radical new legislation. 

I felt I had to focus on the issue with the Govt and after I broke the keel of the SBD I put all the balsa parts in a plastic container for later.  I also took a several months break from this forum until a couple of days ago.

It is now later.  So back to the modelling activities.

Smiley

So far I have appeared before a Parliamentary Sub Committee in December and prepared a written submission for the Council.  I expect to meet with  a Council Group in a  month or so. 

I made a New Year Resolution to start on my SBD Dauntless tribute model in January

( 184 KB | 34 Downloads )
IMG_2674__5_.JPG

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
The next installment on the Dauntless adventure.
Here is a photo I took on 27 June 2021 but did not attach correctly.

Modelling pins into patriotic red, white, and blue for this build.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

( 393 KB | 32 Downloads )
IMG_1986__8_.jpg
( 173 KB | 35 Downloads )
IMG_1986__4_.JPG

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
The term was, at the time,(and maybe still is if any Navy vets can confirm) LSO for Landing Signal Officer. Of course, now they use a mirror and light system instead of the LSO standing on the deck with paddles, but the LSO is still in control and has a switch in his hand to signal a wave off if the pilot is not in the correct attitude.  I suppose that it could be automated but the human skill of adjusting for the attitude and speed of the aircraft along with the pitching an rolling of the deck seems to be one of those hard things to duplicate with a computer. 

They tell the story of Bob Hoover taking the first FJ-2 Fury prototype to Patuxent for carrier qualifications.  When he called for landing instructions he was informed that the carrier was already at sea.  He said that he had enough fuel to go out to the carrier and decided to go out to the ship.  He called the ship and told them he was coming, executed the approach and landed catching the #3 wire.  (The older carriers had 4 wires.)  The Navy pilots complemented him on the perfect "trap" and asked him how many carrier landings he had made.  His reply, "That was my first one."

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 8:48am
Print Post  
A bit of historical detail...the angled line on the vertical stabilizer in Howard's great photo was used by the carrier landing officer (or whatever he was called) to ascertain whether or not an aircraft on approach was at the proper decent angle...to wave off or give a GO....  Certainly no one onboard the aircraft could determine that line's relationship to the horizon.  Sometimes in film or still photos one sees the LO leaning to one side or the other...attempting to get a better view of that indicator on an approaching aircraft...or so I imagine.  On aircraft later during the war that line disappears...so the Navy must have developed a different system.  The LO was generally a pilot rated in carrier landings himself.

Neal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint