Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Joe Ott Martin Maryland (Read 1218 times)
HGS

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: Joe Ott Martin Maryland
Reply #44 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Regarding the cardboard balsa substitute, this stuff might be good:  https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-21372/Specialty-Paper/Ram-Board-38-x-100?...

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #43 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Looking good Neal.  To me this stage of the build always seems to stretch out - the frames are done but there's all the detail work necessary to get it ready for covering.

Mike

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #42 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
seems i'm posting the same pics over and over...is this called a "loop?"  or is this "modeler's hell?"  recall that old twilight zone episode in which earl holliman was running all over town looking for anyone...turned out he was in sensory-deprivation training for future deep space flight...cogito ergo sum...i think?

( 78 KB | 15 Downloads )
Martin_Maryland_Ott_P1210042.jpg
( 83 KB | 7 Downloads )
Earl_Holliman_Twilight_Zone_1959.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #41 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
It looks like you've "gotten it done!"  I don't usually look for ways to mount things when assembling the bones.  I just like to see how it looks.  But I must confess that often those mounting things do become apparent!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #40 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Finally have a wing-mounting setup.

Neal

( 122 KB | 29 Downloads )
Martin_Maryland_Ott_P1210036.jpg
( 70 KB | 31 Downloads )
Martin_Maryland_Ott_P1210038.JPG
( 64 KB | 26 Downloads )
Martin_Maryland_Ott_P1210039.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #39 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
There are a few "sticking points" Ian...at least for me...like wing mounting.  My experience with these type plans is to literally assemble the model uncovered in order to secure attachments internally...then cover.  Done it many times...is laborious...but gets things done.

As for nacelles...going with those units from my "scrapyard."  They'll require some alterations, but then...that's the nature of Joe Ott plans (more or less).  And yes...plan is to use wing trailing edge as motor anchor points.

None of this in in the way of complaining...it's just the way many of these vintage plans were designed...many ambiguities to be resolved as the project moves along.  Joe had faith in us to get it done. Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #38 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Looking great. I think that the sticking point will be those nacelles. There is so little room under the wing for the rubber, and the framing of the nacelle itself is too narrow. I am considering redesigning the nacelles to make the framework wider and perhaps using the TE of the wing to hold the rear peg. Perhaps leaving the rear end of the nacelle open and lowering the position of the peg as much as would be practical for rubber clearance, even if the rear peg becomes visible.
ian

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #37 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Wing now beginning to form up....

neal

( 42 KB | 17 Downloads )
Martin_Maryland_Ott_P1210035.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #36 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Haven't started the wing yet, Ian...but I'm getting that itch.  Things have been really slow-going around here.

I want to congratulate your efforts with alternative materials...inspirational...innovative...and beautiful craftsmanship.  Those bends are so crisp...as though you're utilizing a sheet metal brake!  Good stuff, Ian! Smiley

I've been reading and researching information about Czech armed forces operating with the British during WWII....  Germans may have occupied the country without any real resistance, but paid a big price by allowing considerable Czech military personnel to "get away."  I'm certain the crime of Lidice was taken to heart by these gallant men...so why not celebrate it by naming their(my) aircraft after that unfortunate village....

Just had to post that pic of three Czech-flown Wellingtons.  As I've said now many times...constructed a 30 ws CL version when I was a kid...a real no-brainer...easy lines...2x.049's for power.  Began as an Airfix plastic model...scheme like those in the photo.  My father was impressed...and that's what counted most to me. Smiley  Czechs flew Spits, Hurricanes, Blenhiems, on and on.  Why not Marylands?  Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #35 - Dec 29th, 2021 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Beautiful looking nacelle. Have you started on the wing yet?
ian

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #34 - Dec 29th, 2021 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Very slow going...but still breathing...haven't succumbed quite yet.

Considering utilizing a couple of nacelles from "the scrap yard."  Not quite to scale...but at least the correct dimension.

Also have a theme for this build...Czechs in the RAF...gonna name this model "Lidice Forever."

Neal

( 49 KB | 17 Downloads )
Martin_Maryland_Ott_P1210030.JPG
( 33 KB | 26 Downloads )
Martin_Maryland_Ott_P1210031.jpg
( 32 KB | 8 Downloads )
Lidice_Forever_.jpg
( 34 KB | 9 Downloads )
H0171-L.jpg
( 22 KB | 14 Downloads )
Three_Wellington_Mk_ICs_of_No__311__Czechoslovak__Squadron_RAF.jpg
( 30 KB | 10 Downloads )
Czechs_in_the_RAF.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #33 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Thanks for the comment, Tom...by all means, feel free to "hijack" this thread anytime you'd like...and that goes for anyone out there.  That's what modeling here is all about!

Funny story for me and the A-20 Havoc...first time I encountered that word "Havoc" was a picture in a book at the library when I was very young.  Asked my dad "What's a Havoc?"  His reply was classic...for him..."Not a thing...like a scrambled egg would be for a chicken...."  Yep.  Grin  So scrambling an egg is creating "havoc," like an A-20 could do.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #32 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 12:01am
Print Post  
I do like the RAF sea scheme of the Baltimore.
After this I won't hijack this thread anymore, here's a neat short video on the last A-20 Havoc flying, scale down to the video: A-20 Havoc Click Here

( 26 KB | 23 Downloads )
baltimore-c1.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #31 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input, friends.  Martin followed the Maryland with some minor modifications that resulted in an aircraft known as the Baltimore.  It featured a deeper fuselage...may have been an effort to increase the payload.  Actually...I like the Baltimore...go Johnny U.  Smiley

A-20 Havoc was also readily adaptable to fill night-fighter role as well...a mission it performed excellently for most of the war.

I recall watching a documentary about "the Widow-Maker," Martin B-26 Marauder.  Was a very hot aircraft...lots of power with short wingspan and fairly heavy...had to fly it "hot."  Lots of complaints and grumbling amongst aircrew.  So CO of 9th AF ordered pilots to form up on the flight-line...where he proceeded to fly a high speed low altitude demo.  Oh...CO just happened to be Maj. General James H. Doolittle.  He thereafter declared that he didn't want to hear any more "disparaging remarks" about the Marauder...at least from trained Army pilots.  Wink Grin  Grumbling Germans...that was ok.  And to be a little afraid of your airplane...that's not all bad.  Shocked

And...Howard (B-25) told me the A-26 was in a league of its own...a true attack aircraft...a bomber that could acquit itself like a fighter.

Neal

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
My understanding was that the Douglas was more adaptable with attack nose or bomber nose, larger bomb bay.  There were three aircraft in the competition after Bell declined to build a prototype. Bell Model 9, the Stearman X-100, Martin Model 167F and the North American NA-40. The Martin 167 became the Maryland, the N.A. 40 became the B-25.  Of course the Douglas developed into the B-26 Invader being built elsewhere on the current builds board.  Martin of course eventually developed the A-26 Marauder with the lowest loss rate of the class, I believe.  But the Marauder had some issues of one engine control and landing speed.

The Maryland was used extensively by the French and British with the U.S.'s isolation stance at the beginning of the war! It was noted for it's narrow fuselage and speed at that time.  That's my two cents!!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint