Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Volare Products Cessna "Nickel Short Kit" (Read 1045 times)
DanSnow

Re: Volare Products Cessna "Nickel Short Kit"
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Well, here it is completed, ready for trimming flights. As it sits with motor installed is 6.69g So I figure the required nose weight will bring it to around 7g. I read somewhere the target weight was 5g, so for my first microscopic build in dang near 40 years, and the fact that I had to build a second fuselage, I'm a bit proud of myself! Smiley

Final impressions:
Kit packaging - 5 stars
Kit quality - 5 stars
Plans Quality - 5 stars (Getting both original and redrawn plans was a nice bonus)

Overall: Definitely 5 stars
Would I buy another in the series? Definitely

Curse You, Red Baron!!!!
IP Logged

DanSnow

Volare Products Cessna "Nickel Short Kit"
Nov 7th, 2021 at 2:14am
Print Post  
A little while ago, whilst putting an order together from Volare Products, I came across their new offering of two models from the old Comet, Nickel Kits. They offer the Cessna and the Miller Racer.
What the heck, for $6 why not take a break from the behemoths I'd been working on for something I could toss around the back yard.

Specs:
Wing Span - 10"
Length - ~7.5"
Target Weight - 5grams

First impressions:
1. The quality of the kit is excellent. Laser cutting is crisp and complete, and the balsa quality is very good.  The inclusion of laser cut fuselage cross pieces was a nice touch.
2. The pieces are SMALL!!
3. Inclusion of modern redrawn plans as well as a copy of the original plans is a bonus. Plans are clear and inclusive of info needed.
4. Did I mention the pieces are reallysmall?

I didn't document much of the initial construction, suffice it to say that there were no surprises, and in less than an hour I had most of the basic pieces built.
Then the "fun" began. I have hands that are average to slightly about average in size, driven by 70 year old muscles. C grain ultra light contest quality balsa cringes in their presence. And this model was no exception. As delicately as I tried to work, the fuselage ended up with at least a half dozen repairs before I even got the sides glued together! Then to top it off, I accidently knocked the completed fuse ff the bench and unthinkingly I grabbed for it and completely destroyed, as in absolutely crushed the fuselage!

I was an inch away from dumping the whole thing as beyond my abilities but then sanity snuck in and I decided to try a rebuild. It actually worked. I snuck in a couple gussets and reinforcements and the model is still under 4 grams with everything but motor and tissue.

It's been a fun break from the norm, I consider it well worth the money with the quality of everything.  Might wait a bit before tackling the Miller Racer.

( 89 KB | 52 Downloads )
20211102_035015__1_.jpg
( 111 KB | 54 Downloads )
20211029_062005__1_.jpg
( 99 KB | 74 Downloads )
20211106_014008__1_.jpg
( 131 KB | 53 Downloads )
20211106_014016__1_.jpg

Curse You, Red Baron!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint