Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Acrylic Paint on Tissue (Read 216 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Acrylic Paint on Tissue
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
It depends on the "look" you're going for.  I believe it was Vance Gilbert "The Muse" in the FAC newsletter that calls the translucent look of just tissue that's been sealed. The "stained glass look"(my paraphrase). If you're going for the more opaque look that the sun doesn't shine through, then painting is the way to go. Mike Stuart does this kind of finish.  He and Mike K are master modelers. Here's a link to Mike Stuart's site: Click Here  You can see Mike Kelly's work here and on HPA.

I think you'd definitely use less paint to paint over colored tissue rather than just white tissue.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Aim High

Acrylic Paint on Tissue
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Thanks so much.  I didn't know that acrylics could be thinned with lacquer thinner.  I'd hate to mask and then have the paint come up.  I'd be one unhappy camper.

This may be a silly question but here goes...  cover white, dope, paint or colored tissue, dope, paint? 

I'd use the primary final color tissue (blue/yellow) before paint.  Was thinking the colored tissue would allow me to use less paint. 

Why paint colored tissue?  For a more professional looking finish.  In my eyes anyway.

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 10:36am
Print Post  
As Tom said, dope, cure thoroughly (a couple of days), then paint. 

If you're airbrushing Tamiya acrylics I highly recommend thinning with lacquer thinner rather than water/alcohol thinner.  The lacquer thinner bites harder on the doped tissue and resists peeling away under masking much better.  It also is less susceptible to blushing (moisture condensing in the spray causing a grey/whitish discoloration).

Mike

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Dope first to seal the tissue.  Then paint.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Aim High

Acrylic Paint on Tissue
Dec 22nd, 2021 at 8:27am
Print Post  
I looked through the topics here and didn't see an answer to my question.  If I missed it I apologize.

I'm planning to airbrush my Herr Stearman with acrylic paint.  My question is regarding dope.  Do I dope the tissue first or do I just airbrush the paint on the bare tissue? 

My initial thought was to 50/50 dope the tissue to seal it and then airbrush.  Just curious what method I should use. 

I know of Krylon but I'm a dope kinda guy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint