Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dumas Aeronca Champ (Read 3879 times)
A26 Invader
3 Star Member

My next one will be better!

Re: Dumas Aeronca Champ
Reply #36 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Right or wrong I decided to sand the two stringers that are just below the windows flush with the frames.  It basically took them down to half their original thickness.  Now I have a smooth run in which I can apply the tissue paper.

I also added the trailing landing gear leg and wing strut mounts.

All that's left now is to get going on the wing.  The laser cut wood that makes up the wing is quite heavy so I messaged Dumas to see if I can maybe acquire less dense replacements.  If not I'll go with what I have but it doesn't hurt to try.

( 109 KB | 28 Downloads )
Window_Frames_Blended.jpg

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #35 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 3:44am
Print Post  
I was thinking ahead to covering operations.  On the fueslage I'm a bit confused. 

How do I cover around the window area.  If you look at the photo there is a step at the bottom of the window sill to the stringer directly below it. 

Maybe I'm supposed to sand down that stringer to match the windows?  Then the stringer below that one would also need to be sanded down? 

The motor peg mounts are also not flush with the outside of the same stringers in the rear (so they could attach to the former).  Any thoughts on what I should do?
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2022 at 4:52am by A26 Invader »  

( 75 KB | 31 Downloads )
Window_Side_Frame_1_001.jpg

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #34 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 3:09am
Print Post  
The stab is off the board.  It weighs in at a whopping 1.86 grams.  That seems like a lot compared to the fuselage side I weighed previously (photo for comparison).  I know weight in the tail matters so I was hoping for a better number.

The laser cut sheet stock in the kit didn't seem too heavy to me but as I mentioned previously, this is the first time I've ever really paid attention to weights. 

I suppose it's getting close to that time were, if I'm going to be picky about weights, I'll have to start selecting my own balsa and cutting out my own parts.

Vertical stab up next.   

( 109 KB | 24 Downloads )
Stab.jpg
( 84 KB | 22 Downloads )
Stab_1_86_Grams.jpg
( 87 KB | 26 Downloads )
Fuse_Half__8_Grams_001.jpg

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #33 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Alfakilo
  I'd love to do an RV trip like that.  Maybe one day.

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #32 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Jun 21st, 2022 at 3:27pm:
I usually apply some saran wrap over the first side to keep them from sticking together.

Back after a two week RV trip out west to Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Grand Tetons, etc! Don't ask!! Cold, rainy, flooding, windy, lousy roads...but still had a good time.

I've tried wax paper, saran wrap, etc. I've found that it depends on what glue is being used. Some glues are sticky enough to adhere to wax paper or saran wrap. I've had pretty good luck using thin cellophane too. Be careful  if using CA glue and pins...the thin CA will seep into the pin holes requiring us to cut the frame off the board.

I'm presently just cutting the wax paper/saran wrap/cellophane into small strips that only cover the joints to be glued. Helps reduce alignment errors due to old eyes!!

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #31 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Window side frames are finished up and installed. 

Managed to break my first stringer ever when sanding the side frames at the wing mount.  The cracking sound made me feel ill.  I took a deep breath, had a moment of silence, then got out the glue. 

All is well in the world.  Fuselage is done.  On to the tail sections.

( 75 KB | 30 Downloads )
Window_Side_Frame_1.jpg
( 79 KB | 30 Downloads )
Window_Side_Frame_2.jpg
( 50 KB | 23 Downloads )
Front_001.jpg
( 76 KB | 25 Downloads )
Rear.jpg

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Sky
  I used the Saran Wrap.  It makes sense why this method works so well for fuselages.  Instead of fiddling with the plan lines (which has played tricks with my eyes at times) just stack one part on top of the other and add some glue.  Piece of cake.  The best part is now my side windows match up perfectly.  Just the way I like it.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I usually apply some saran wrap over the first side to keep them from sticking together.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #28 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 11:29am
Print Post  
First laminated window frame done.  I'm going to use the technique you all suggested for fuselage building and construct the second one directly on top of this one.  That way both are exactly matched left to right side.

I still have to trim to final shape but will do that after I have them both done.

( 101 KB | 24 Downloads )
Window_Frame.jpg

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #27 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Well I spent a good part of the day (gotta love vacations) working on the Chipmunk.  But I was able to get to get a bit done on the Champ too.

Early this morning I put 1/16" balsa in water to soak.  In the meantime I made a cutout from a copy of the plan and glued it to some poster board.  With this I made a template that I could make two identical window frames out of (the plan just has you bend over the plan itself/not precise enough for me).

I bent the four 1/16" balsa sticks around the form.  In order to prevent divits from the pins in the soft wood, I'm using some scrap balsa to act as a buffer.  Tomorrow when it's dry I'll glue everything up. 

Hope I'm not spamming you all to death but here's some photos of the process.

( 61 KB | 24 Downloads )
Window_Lam_1.jpg
( 68 KB | 23 Downloads )
Window_Lam_2.jpg
( 69 KB | 28 Downloads )
Window_Lam_3.jpg

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #26 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Thymekiller
  Thank you for the compliment.  Really appreciate it.

To be quite honest, I hadn't put much thought into the different angles required in wings/tails/thrust lines/etc though I do know they are very important.  When building RC or any plane for that matter, I had always just ensured the mounts were set/angled as per the plan.  If the plan is wrong...  I'm a fish out of water. 

That's why I was surprised that the instructions said to add a shim.  You would think the plan would already have 3 degrees (or whatever is required) drawn in.

Regardless, it's nice to have inputs from all of you kind folks. I'll be sure to not permanently install the stab until she is up and flying.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
  Your wood work looks great!! 

Good starting point that works for me, 2 or 3 degrees positive in the main wing and flat on a non flying tail. Lifting tails can vary a bit.  Underchambered wings can get tricky, they confuse me sometimes.  LOL, lots of things confuse me these days.  Grin
That's just what seems to work for me, your mileage may vary.  Maybe others can jump in with what they prefer?

It's not uncommon to see changes in the plan over time and distortions sometimes get into the final print. TMG is right to fly it and try it.  Leave some wiggle room for later.

Do you know what a datum line is?  Makes a great reference point for every thing from wing decalage to rubber motor peg placement.  Please forgive me, I'm not trying to be a jerk, or smart mouthed, I really don't know who knows what.  I have been out of touch for awhile . Learning about the datum line really opened doors for me.  Before that knowledge, I was trimming for flight by chance and guessing.

Im like Sky and TMG in that not everything I build is dead exact on the plans.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
TMGlue is correct.  We don't all build to exact plan's directions.  We do our best and then in the trimming session make the needed adjustments.

I do my best but admit I don't always get it just as laid out on the plans.  Wish I did!  Undecided Embarrassed Roll Eyes Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Too Much Glue
  Thanks for the tip.  Makes sense not to commit to the incidence angle until she is flying properly.

That's something I don't have much experience with (trimming free flight models).  I'm hoping this plane will give me some experience in that area.

IP Logged

Too Much Glue
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 7:04am
Print Post  
I think I would build the model as is and test glide it first. Then I would decide if I wanted to add a shim too the tail end of the stabilizer. Sometimes I just tack glue the stabilizer at the front. That way it's easy to cut free.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint