Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Finally building my shop. (Read 375 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Finally building my shop.
Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2022 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Pete,
  I look forward to hearing about your flight test data. I will maybe glide this one some day, but the plan is to build another one, full size maybe. This one is just too heavy. It would be more like throwing a dart, lol. Also, I have never flown a wet motor in my life, so there's that learning curve also. I hope to fly one next spring, as I can learn to start it on a bench this winter in the barn,
  I love the plane, especially the smaller versions. I really enjoy watching you build yours, thank you for posting it.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Aug 4th, 2022 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Don't give up on that ZIPPER, Eric!  If it didn't "fly", it's likely that the decalage was off.  The weak spot of the construction (if a DT is incorporated) is the area that you glittered. Mike grafted a hollowed balsa block for the stab saddle/tail-end to counter the issue. I've kept it stock (stringers) but doubled the thickness of the main saddle.

Slap some patches on the covering splits and put on a couple more coats of dope.  Pretty airplanes are attracted to altitude (whereas ugly ones fly because the earth repels them Roll Eyes).

As soon as I get mine finished and a few test flights in, I'll let you know the incidence and down-thrust angles.  Even tho yours is a wet one, the values should still be in the ball park.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Nice to have a building buddy such as Batman to help out in the shop!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2022 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
  Had to get some help with holding parts while glue dries. Batman will become a regular around here. He can hold all kinds of stuff.

The plane came out sorta decent. It will be fine as a hanger queen.

( 35 KB | 15 Downloads )
20220724_105419.jpg
( 75 KB | 16 Downloads )
20220724_105321.jpg
( 68 KB | 15 Downloads )
20220724_105406.jpg
( 77 KB | 15 Downloads )
20220723_190249.jpg
( 77 KB | 12 Downloads )
20220724_105347.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2022 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Here's one that I have been looking forward to. Its a model of a model, lol

It's a Zipper, 34 inch I think. Pete warned me, but I was in a hurry and did not resize the wood correctly. The original was 54 inches I think and I just built from a reduced plan. Its the last one I built before I disappeared. It will not fly well, and I'm not even going to try. I just need this and several others off the floor and tables. I will hang it from the ceiling. Soon enough, I hope to build a better one and fly it.
This had really bad tissue that I got from the dollar store. My wife printed it for me. I tried to pull the cracks back together and stich them with glue. Some will never come back enough and I don't have any tissue to patch it with.  I did find some tissue that had a glitter on it so I tried it out. It is more like a monokote than tissue. Might use some for accent lines but it's crap for covering.
  The engine came from Bob. I inherited some motors from him via his brother, Ron Rippy. I thought it looked nice and it "fit" the nose of this. I will show more of Bobs work as soon as I get that deep into the room. Getting closer.....

( 46 KB | 11 Downloads )
20220723_130219.jpg
( 54 KB | 10 Downloads )
20220723_125405.jpg
( 80 KB | 10 Downloads )
20220723_121015.jpg
( 53 KB | 10 Downloads )
20220723_121105.jpg
( 48 KB | 10 Downloads )
20220723_121046.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
LOL, Their coming....

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Too bad you couldn't find some really big models to hang up and restore!!! Shocked Grin Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
   These jewels were built my a friend, Bill Parker.  His specialty was to blow up Guillows models to HUGE proportions. He did a tri wing that must have been 50 inches across the the top wing. He then gave it to a neighbor who hung it in his garage. Looked big enough for a kid to ride in, like a pedal car. I went to Texas once and met with Bob who then went with me to Houston to meet with Al and Bill. Bill had airplanes hanging from his entire garage ceiling. Almost every inch had something. Tri wings, bi wings, monos of every kind. He really liked jets. Not sure how many Phantoms he had built, but there were several. He invited Bob and I to take some so he could clear out this garage.
Currently, I believe he avidly collects plastic F4 phantom models and has a HUGE stash of them. I hope to hear from him soon. 

The hanger rash wasn't too bad on these, just a couple bruises and cracks. I was able to glue them up nicely except for a spot on the Fw 190.  Time is hard on these tissue covered models. I think Bill used a thicker materiel than most of us use. He flew mostly Control line. The bell crank on the FW still works like a champ.  Somewhere in that mess of a room I do have the bombs that are missing from the bottom of the jet. Will glue them on when I find the box they are in. At least until the remodel is complete, Momma says I can hang a few in the front room.

( 88 KB | 20 Downloads )
20220704_165735.jpg
( 85 KB | 20 Downloads )
20220704_124618.jpg
( 92 KB | 20 Downloads )
20220704_165710.jpg
( 102 KB | 22 Downloads )
20220704_124529.jpg
( 96 KB | 18 Downloads )
20220704_165836.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 12:18am
Print Post  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-4tvG8NLQ
Mine is pretty much the same, but not so worn out. 
Will post more vids as I find them. Sadly, will be awhile before I get tools in there. Still have to find them, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1adhWfPAOU
Walker turner driver series lathe. His is too tight and does not turn as freely as it should. All that is adjustable.  You oil these with those little cups on top of the bushing holders. It drips out eventually and you oil again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuEEVAT9qFs
Scroll saw.
Again, oil is via oil cup system. Leaky.

Finally found it. This guy has the complete line including the intermediate shaft. I don't have all the pieces, but have most. He runs them all at the same time for display. Normally you pull off the belts of whatever you are NOT running at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFjcOF8eXM

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
pic 1  main door. This is inside the barn.
pic 2  back door with fridge stuck in it, lol. This wall is where I will put adjustable shelves for wings and fuses.
pic 3  Front of window. Its a wreck. broken frames, broken glass, ect.  Going to remove entire window and frame in new. Will put a/c in top corner and whole bottom will be spray booth. I think I can build approx 44 x 22 inches and 24 inches deep. Can vent outside and install filters, ect.  Booth will be slightly wider than window.
pics 4 and 5   Outside of window, frames are not great and not sealed well at all.

This will be a large project and will have to wait till I get back from this next trip. 

In pic 3 you can see part of the table and cabinet that I am thinking I will use for the power tools. Still not clear on that part. I can use a shop vac for dust collection and vent out the thru the booth.

( 110 KB | 18 Downloads )
main_door.jpg
( 107 KB | 18 Downloads )
fridge_back_corner.jpg
( 103 KB | 18 Downloads )
front_of_window.jpg
( 96 KB | 16 Downloads )
20220703_084116.jpg
( 139 KB | 17 Downloads )
20220703_084108.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
  The map in the previous post is close to scale. In section 4 there is an 8 ft table that is ok for now but will upgrade later into a corner unit.  Before I do anything I have to uncover it so I will build another adjustable shelf next to the one in the pic. That will give me a place for wings and fuses. I hope to do that tomorrow or monday. We will see how things go. If I clear off the table I will have a place to put the remaining boxes, bins, and buckets of stuff to go thru and organize and /or throw away. Would be great to clear off the floor and mop it.

I found this paint shelf for 12 dollars at a flea market. The wood costs more than that these days. We had cans of paint scattered all over the place. We bought a fixer upper, lol. Next to it is a shelf made of those metal channel bolted to the wall and arms that hang on the uprights channels. They adjust by fitting in slots that match the arms.  All of those bins are full of stuff except 2. I will fill them tomorrow.
   Tom, your biplane is in that blue foam box at the top along with a plane that Bob built.
Excited to show them off later. 

The main door of course I will keep but not sure about the back door. Right now there's a refrigerator in it. We recessed the beer fridge into the doorway to get it out of the way, but the need for that is gone now.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
  Tom, I really like your stand up building board with the hinge at the top. That would indeed be a space saver and maybe a back saver. I will experiment with that when I build my next plane. I can work with angles, height, ect. Will definatly give that some thought.  Thanks.

I guess I left out a few details about the layout of the room and all the junk that's in it. I also did not mention the tools I'm going to use are antiques. I do have a full size lathe, but will be useing a much smaller one in that room. I have 2 to chose from and Im not sure witch to use. The bigger one is only 2 ft long and I can shorten it up if I want. It's made that way. It's a walker Turner driver line unit. I have the matching scroll saw, grinder/sander, and band saw for it. I think I might have the planer, but cant remember. It all runs off a small line shaft. It's a tool aimed at dads with wood shops in the garage in the 1930's thru the 40's. I'm very proud of it, and would love to set it all up, but the truth is, it's a bit cumbersome and they all dripped oil back then. LOTS of custom length belts that you take on and off for each tool, ect. I will post a link of one if I can. 

The other is a Mattel toy. Kinda leaning towards that one. You can google it if you want, they are all over ebay, ect.  I cant find mine right now but I will try to post a link.  Search mattel lathe.
Do you remember the " Shop Smith" ?
It was a "do all" change into anything saw, sander, lathe, band saw, scroll saw,  thing. ? They built them for decades. Literally decades. 50's to the 80's I think.
  Mattel made a miniture version. It is a table saw, lathe, drill press, sander all in one. Just depends on what attachment you use and if It's standing up or laying down.  They are not for big time craftsman, they were aimed at kids. They are just fine for balsa wood or bass wood or the thin ply we use. I bet many  a proud 10 year old built a bird house or a pine derby car with this jewel.
  Nice part is that it's small, has no belts, everything is direct drive. It wont make much noise and it wont drip lubricate .   It's fine for what we do. If needed, I have the big stuff in the rest of the barn. This would sit nicely on a small table I have next to power and the dust collecter/ spray booth /window thing I have it mind.

Let me post this and I will try to find links.

( 46 KB | 15 Downloads )
drawing.jpg
( 80 KB | 13 Downloads )
drawing2.jpg
( 123 KB | 18 Downloads )
shelf1.jpg
( 94 KB | 13 Downloads )
shelf_2.jpg
( 131 KB | 11 Downloads )
shelf3.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Here's the quickie drawing of the workshop.  Plus the vertical building board I'd like to add to the building board area.

( 69 KB | 19 Downloads )
BUILDING_AREA_8_X16_.JPG
( 41 KB | 25 Downloads )
vertical_magnet_building_board.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2022 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Stuka looks great Thyme!!!
I have some thoughts just off the top of my head.
If you're going to build a paint booth I'm envious but thought of a double duty paint booth and photo booth as well.  Place in a corner of the room large enough for you max size model.  With hooks along the top of the hood/vent for hanging fabric to convert paint to photo booth.  I'll do a quick CAD drawing rather than write it all out!
Tom

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2022 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Last post tonight.
  This pic is of a stuka that I was building in the truck just for fun. Its the LAST one I will ever build in a tractor trailer. That's a real nightmare sometimes. Always breaking or losing something. Never have everything you need.
  There is some small tissue damage, but over all, savable. I will probably use it to test my new spray booth. The bottom is already painted blue with Krylon paint.
  I did manage to find my airbrushes, but the pump is still hiding from me. Pretty sure it will be in a hard to reach place, of course. I have to re-frame the window to put the a/c and vent hood in the top. Would love to have at least part of the window open, but not going to hold my breath.

I am going to build a place to mount these planes and others so I can empty some boxes and clear out some space. Will post pics as I go along. There will be a ceiling treatment and lights and a work table in the back.

Feel free to suggest how to build a dream shop. If it was you, how would you organize a 16 by 8 space that is heated and cooled and not where the wife will complain about the smell or noise. I have a small lathe and scroll saw. I will build a sanding table and spray booth.

If you have any ideas, please throw them out there. 

( 86 KB | 22 Downloads )
20220629_174619.jpg
( 67 KB | 19 Downloads )
20220629_174630.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint