Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Outrageous prices on ebay. (Read 202 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Outrageous prices on ebay.
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 7:33am
Print Post  
  TMG,  thanks for the hookup. Cool site if just to browse. Some don't seem to far off on price. 

Kerak, I believe your right.  I attend estate sales and visit flea markets across the country and it's pretty much the same deal, nationwide.

The thing I worry about is when they parade thru my house, dig thru my treasures, and barter off what's left of my life.
   As far as my tool collection, I will join a wood workers organization and they will sell the stuff to other members and people of the craft.  That way my wife will get the best price and my junk will get the best home, rather than wind up back in the flea market loop. 
  I kinda wish we had a similar clearing house deal for this hobby. but I have no clue how we would do that. 

I have a scroll saw and I don't mind cutting parts.  Plans are getting easier to get every year. I really like the laser cut short kits.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Too Much Glue
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Old Model Kits is another web site were no longer produced kits are available. Prices seem to be biased on how rare the kit is. Some are well over $100.00. But you can find some bargains on still in production kits. Like older die cut Guillows kits, and Easy Built Kits that were produced in Canada. My Miss Canada Sr. was an old made in Canada kit.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 8:45am
Print Post  
IN THE PAST...distortion in model plans was common...in fact, it was to be expected.  Plans were usually NOT created by a draftsman working on one full-sized large piece of vellum...but more often by working on numerous pieces as components were addressed.  It was all then cut n' pasted together to form a nice workable plan in as few sheets as possible. 

Take that composite and run it through a heliographic copier...say an Ozalid machine, resulting in a plan sheet.  However, sometimes those component parts were themselves reproduced before ever getting to a composite assembly...and that's where the distortion really comes in.

Now...if that "composite-assembly" plan is reproduced over the years...numerous times...then, take it to the bank...there's gonna be a lot of distortion.  As a modeller working from such plans, one has to take all that into account before even beginning to cut materials. Take the time to check before cutting...then make adjustments. DO NOT accept that just because a plan is "rolled" and inside of a kit box, it is accurate.  Stop believing that this hobby is perfect n' precise.  It ain't.  It's just part of modelling. Smiley

I think this is common to all of us who have been around this hobby for many years...we have a stash of kits.  Grin  For me...way back before the internet...it was the plan inside that box that I was after...NOT necessarily the kit materials.  A digital world and the internet has made plan-collecting so much more convenient now...who needs the kit if one can procure the plan?  I believe that many, if not most of these kits available on ebay are the result of "estate sales," by people attempting to get the most for what they have...and who else do they reference for value but others of the same ilk....  Is understandable...even if unrealistic. I once purchased a literal box of balsa scraps from a widower...certainly not for the balsa....

Neal

IP Logged

Bargle
3 Star Member

Oh crumbs

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Yes, I've long thought the prices on most of North Pacific's models are much too high, given how often they come up. I suspect someone gets the bug to get one of them, finds a high priced listing and not knowing how common they are, pays the high price thereby driving the price of all of them up.

Sure it's a wrinkly mess, but it flies.

IP Logged

Too Much Glue
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 5:08am
Print Post  
What was true 50 years ago is true today. The wood in Comet kits was sometimes ok, sometimes it was just too hard to cut out. I have made copies of the print wood from a number of kits I've built. Some of the downloads on Outerzone are very good, but some are not very accurate. One model that comes to mind is Comet's Bluebird. The scaling was off on that one.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Kerak wrote on Sep 10th, 2022 at 7:40am:
My two cents...I have to ask myself what we're really purchasing with these old kits?  ...  On the other hand...something like a Comet kit...well...so many plans are available today from the internet...  Far better materials are available today...God willing that one is able to put in the time and effort to "scratch it."  Besides...all things considered, those old rare antique kits are treasures to be preserved....  "Document" the kits...then replicate.  Just my two cents.  Smiley
Neal

I think some model companies are doing just that! And adding laser cut balsa to go along with the kit or partial kit.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 7:40am
Print Post  
My two cents...I have to ask myself what we're really purchasing with these old kits?  If it involves a real antique...a genuinely rare treasure...then I can understand the selling prices.  On the other hand...something like a Comet kit...well...so many plans are available today from the internet...that what one is actually paying for is a box of questionable quality balsa and/or less-than-usable component parts.  Far better materials are available today...God willing that one is able to put in the time and effort to "scratch it."  Besides...all things considered, those old rare antique kits are treasures to be preserved....  "Document" the kits...then replicate.  Just my two cents.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Ray Klein

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2022 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
caveat emptor ---buyer beware ---- now truer than ever

IP Logged

Too Much Glue
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2022 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Yes, I agree. Some of the prices are nuts. But I did manage to pick up a couple of Comet kits for 25 to 30 dollars. Considering the prices on new kits not too bad. These kits were still sealed in the box. They were posted as buy it now, there was no bidding.  Then there was a person who wanted over 100 dollars for an old Comet super stars kit. Shocked Thats nonsense, you just have to pick and choose.

( 300 KB | 5 Downloads )
1_041.JPG

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Outrageous prices on ebay.
Aug 5th, 2022 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
  I am dieing to know where some of these people come up with prices on ebay.
  Obviously they have zero knowledge of the hobby or whos buying this stuff.
   I also condem the guy selling plans from outerzone on ebay.    Stealing another persons work, then not shareing the proceeds should be a crime.
   I do alot of treasure hunting in flea markets, yard sales, ect.
    Sometimes you find stuff and the seller has no clue so they check ebay or amazon.  What they see is a boat load of stupid high asking prices that nobody is paying, and they price theirs the same way.  Another source of stupid comes from shows like "pickers" and " antique road show".
    Those shows are entertainment, no reality.
Your rusted, broke down car is never going to be worth the one like it on the meachum auction block.
    Hate that show too.  Ruined the car market.
    Theres a zipper on ebay .
asking almost 200 dollars but cant tell you anything about it.   Has no clue if the plans are intact. Has no clue if its complete, I would almost bet on that.

The plans are free on oz and we all know the balsa in that kit is as hard as a brick.  Its a comet, so you have to cut it out yourself.
Might as well cut it from fresh, lite, wood instead, if all the parts are there.
If not, you make your own anyway.
   Plastic model prices are also insane.
It's little wonder that kids dont model anymore.
They need a mortgage to do it.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint