Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Das Fliegende Auge...FW189 Uhu (Read 10475 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Das Fliegende Auge...FW189 Uhu
Reply #48 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Neal,
Hang in there.  I just went through this with my Mom and Mother-in-law.  You're right, there's not a cure or easy fix.   Y'all will be in my prayers!
I've always said that modeling is my therapy.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #47 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Most of those models are still around...if not with me...I've given some as a keep-sake to others.  Only very rarely have I "removed" a model...usually in order to cannibalize a cowling, prop, wheels...etc.  They transition...from a favorite of the moment to lost-and-then-rediscovered...oh, there you are.  Smiley  Flying to destruction and/or over-the-hill doesn't generally happen either...because my body and interest doesn't lean in that direction.  Then of course...there is the matter of time...I seem to have less time for building models...and there are issues whenever I cheat the time-keeper.

Sooooooooooo....what's the saying, so many prospects, so little time...truer now than ever before in my life.  Truth is...my wife, my soul-mate since we were both children...is coming apart...and I'm doing a poor job of being beside her.  Believe me...there is no brochure...no book...no sage advisor who has the answers for me...and nothing is quick n' easy.  This is not said in the way of a complaint...it's just what is...life in its inevitable glory.  My wife is...we are...afflicted with her alzheimer's disease, and there is no "fix."  Believe me when I tell you...nothing can prepare you for such a challenge.

What's the old song? "Something's gotta give."

Neal

( 59 KB | 42 Downloads )
Better_Times.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #46 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Next question... where do you put them all? Wink

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #45 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
over last three years...all builds posted here at SnT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #44 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
nose plug for the canopy looks good.  Is that collage all the planes you built this year?

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #43 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Time has definitely become hard-to-come-by lately....

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2022 at 3:42pm by Kerak »  

( 59 KB | 39 Downloads )
Focke-Wulf_189_P1210503.jpg
( 61 KB | 39 Downloads )
Focke-Wulf_189__oz2837_.jpg
( 231 KB | 57 Downloads )
LOTTSA_MODELS_2020-2022.jpg
( 77 KB | 42 Downloads )
The_End_clipped_wings_-_pile-near-Hanover-in-the-autumn-of-1945.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #42 - Oct 6th, 2022 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
That should serve you well! Smiley

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #41 - Oct 6th, 2022 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
very basic nose canopy buck for plunge-molding

( 30 KB | 32 Downloads )
FW189-P1210500.jpg
( 44 KB | 39 Downloads )
FW189-P1210501.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #40 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Great progress. I look forward to seeing the nose section coming together!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #39 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
nose section to be plunge-molded

( 57 KB | 42 Downloads )
FW189-P1210498.jpg
( 65 KB | 36 Downloads )
FW189-P1210499.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #38 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Mothes' mission objective on 4 May 1943 was specifically the airstrip known as Loukhi-3, located approximately 6.7 miles west of the Murmansk Railway head at Loukhi.  Somehow...I think they knew at Loukhi-3 that a Luftwaffe Recon flight was on its way.  Gunfire damage to V7+1H indicated that hits were made from below (ground fire?) as well as from the air.  One engine was apparently disabled with much damage to the canopy glazing.  Interesting that mission takeoff time was 0300hr...30 minute flight...how much light was available at that time of day(night)...at that time of year?  Maybe the sun didn't really set?

Pontsalenjoki as well as Loukhi-3 are all but abandoned today...rough airstrip...rare flights in and out...only appropriate ac.  Loukhi-3 still serves Loukhi and was probably used as a "forward airstrip" by the Soviets during the 1950's and 60's.  During WW2 there were virtually no roads or settlements between Pontsalenjoki and Loukhi...nothing but wilderness and disgruntled-angry troops.  Took Mothes two weeks to navigate that distance before fortunately falling into the hands of...probably Finnish forward units (Wehrmacht not actively engaged in ground operations that far north).  All those water-obstacles would have given the Soviets a good idea of where they needed to defend...and the closer Mothes got toward the good guys...the more risky it would have gotten for him.

I read somewhere recently that Fw-189's were considered a priority target by the Soviets for ground fire/air intercept..."special consideration."

Neal

( 66 KB | 47 Downloads )
Fw189_battle_damage.jpg
( 72 KB | 40 Downloads )
german-reconnaissance-aircraft-focke-wulf-fw-189-pilot-celebrating-150-missions-aerial-warfare-probably-east-front-russia.jpg
( 134 KB | 35 Downloads )
Mothes__Journey_May_1943.jpg
( 141 KB | 35 Downloads )
Pontsalenjoki_through_the_trees_2022.jpg
( 164 KB | 35 Downloads )
Loukhi-3_2022.jpg
( 155 KB | 35 Downloads )
Loukhi_to_Pontsalenjoki_2022.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #37 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
just keeps on going....

( 60 KB | 43 Downloads )
FW189-P1210496.jpg
( 69 KB | 41 Downloads )
Warbirds_AircraftRestorationCompany_Aircraft-Sales-Focke-Wulf-FW189_22.jpg
( 63 KB | 41 Downloads )
Warbirds_AircraftRestorationCompany_Aircraft-Sales-Focke-Wulf-FW189_tailgun_position.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #36 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
My conjecture is...that Mothes saw the clearing ahead and did indeed lower his landing gear...which in turn slowed his airspeed still further...bringing V7+1H into the tree tops short of the clearing...not good.  As the ac sank further into the trees...horz. tail was torn off...along with booms...a weak point (attachment) being directly behind the wing's TE.  Once that occurred...the entire wing/center fuselage section rotated into an inverted attitude...actually facing backwards...came to an abrupt halt, and settled to the forest floor...what a ride.  Rear gunner's position was entirely destroyed...as was glazed nose.  Mothes intended to make a perceived clearing...just didn't get there.  Maybe it was sop to lower the gear...for any landing save in water...just because the nose was considered a no-go...all that glazing.  Let's face it...no protection regardless of the structure in those circumstances.  Mothes was just very lucky...more than lucky, even.  Rear-gunner may have had a chance...until that wing flipped...then he became the lead...and Mothes was then in the rear.  My conjecture...thanks, Ian.  Smiley

Incidentally...discovered V7+1H, originally an A1...had been modified to an A2 (upgraded armament...twin MG81Z in the rear-gunner's position).  That ops report says it was an A3...but that isn't so...A3 was an A1 with duel controls...very few constructed.

Note the rear-gunner in that one pic...appears to be wearing some sort of body armor.  Last pic...look at that baby-faced observer-dorsal gunner!  Schoolboy...bet Mothes' observer was NOT belted in like that...and even if he was....

Thanks, Ian.

Neal

( 87 KB | 48 Downloads )
FW189-tailgunner_1.jpg
( 121 KB | 48 Downloads )
FW189-tailgunner_2.jpg
( 96 KB | 45 Downloads )
FW189-tailgunner_3.jpg
( 63 KB | 53 Downloads )
FW189-tailgunner_4.jpg
( 92 KB | 47 Downloads )
baby-faced.jpg

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #35 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
The extended landing gear is strange. As a pilot, you wouldn't extend the gear unless you were in sight of your landing strip, especially if you were in an unpowered glide. However, if the electrics failed and you had to lower the gear with a crank, you would lower it early so that you could concentrate on the approach. I assume that he had to crank down the gear by hand. If so, then it is likely that the pilot felt that he had sufficient altitude to make his landing. If, while cranking down the gear, the pilot didn't pay close attention to his airspeed, then he might have accidently given too much up elevator and in an instant, the aircraft would have flipped over into an inverted spin which would be unrecoverable at low altitude.

Just conjecture on my part.
ian

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #34 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Here's more of "the story"...apparently Soviet patrol was sent out immediately to locate the crashsite of V7+1H...which they arrived at within several hours.  Consider that it was situated only a few miles outside of Louhki...that says something about the terrain.  Obviously Mothes didn't have much time to loiter in the area.  It also dictates that all serviceable ac armament would have been stripped from the wreck...sop.  Remains of two KIA crewmen would have been dealt with by the Soviets...or not, according to their sentiments.  So the wrecksite was not pristine...but difficult to get to...and might not have been much disturbed since 1943.

Oh...apparently there was an open area that Mothes was attempting to reach for an emergency landing.  Didn't make it.  Hence...LG extended...still an interesting decision...couldn't have helped to extend his glide path.

Here's Luftwaffe mission report for V7+1H 4/5/43.  Circled description in upper right says it all..."flug nicht wieder zuruck"...aircraft did not return.  Entry to right of Mothes indicates MIA (vermiBt) (as it does for other two crew members)...with a hand-written line above indicating..."perhaps not."  Hand-written note directly below this indicates his return 17/5/43...with answers to the puzzle.

Neal

( 143 KB | 42 Downloads )
Fw189Uhu-V7+1H-4-5-43_combat_report.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint