Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Henschel Short Reconnaissance (Read 7015 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Henschel Short Reconnaissance
Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
As far as the swept wing having the effect of dihedral I've heard that too.  But I think at our size models you still need to add a bit of dihedral for stability in Free Flight!!

I'm with AK... I love that wing planform.  Another one to add to the "To Do" list! Cheesy Grin Wink Too many planes to build not enought time!!! I think that's why some modelers have moved to dimescale size 16" span.  Or some others have moved to peanut.  My fingers struggle with the smaller sizes.  But I may have to bite the bullet and start building smaller models!!! Shocked Grin Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

TK2
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Not me, I have never been good at that round type of cowling.  Just can't seem to carve them out at the correct size. They never look like the proportions are right when I try it.  Also the struts/ landing gear and all the detail fiddly bits would drive me nuts. Not to mention the glazing.

Are you going to try it?  You certainly have the skills, but it would also need a lot of time, I think. For sure some planning.
  Maybe wire and foam for struts, ect and vacuum form a cockpit window thing?  Just spitballing, no clue how to best do all that.   

So the hs122 had the point nose? Did I read that right?

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I must admit that I'm intrigued by the history of the aircraft....  Don't know how many times I've read that swept-back wings contribute dihedral stability to the design.  Sounds good to me...dihedral is always good in my book.  Grin

As for the "pointy nose"...problem with that design is that the initial design was configured to utilize the best power-plant out there...which just happened (arguably) to be the Rolls-Royce Kestrel.  Early versions of the Bf109 also used the Rolls-Royce engine.  Well...if one is going to war...might be best to have production et al under your own control...so Messerschmitt went with the Daimler-Benz and Henschel went with an air-cooled radial...which in the end was best for the Ostfront as well as Afrika, Wink...good-bye "pointy nose."

Here's a unique pic...note the last photo...shows Hs 126 lg...forged steel...almost like a bungee chord was strung at the top!  Grin

But...the Hs122 V1 would be a rare bird to model for certain.  Smiley  Bet all of you could knock this model out in your sleep.  Cheesy Wink Smiley

Neal

( 72 KB | 48 Downloads )
henschel-hs-126-b1.jpg
( 73 KB | 49 Downloads )
hs126.jpg
( 30 KB | 49 Downloads )
Hs126-1.jpg
( 20 KB | 47 Downloads )
Hs126-06f.jpg
( 80 KB | 51 Downloads )
Hs_126_wing.jpg

IP Logged

TK2
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Love the wing shape.
Like the pointy nose.

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I'm a sucker for that wing shape!!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Nice parasol plane.  Can't wait for the progress!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
and a few more pics to entice you....

( 65 KB | 54 Downloads )
Henschel_Hs_122_V1.jpg
( 82 KB | 51 Downloads )
Henschel_Hs_122_fig_1.jpg
( 54 KB | 46 Downloads )
Henschel_Hs_122_fig_2.jpg
( 59 KB | 40 Downloads )
Henschel_Hs_122_fig_3.jpg
( 115 KB | 45 Downloads )
henschel-hs-122-126.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Henschel Short Reconnaissance
Nov 29th, 2022 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Now...if I were to begin construction of a "new" project...well, found this wonderful little plan at OuterZone...from Aeromodeller Magazine July 1940 for what the designer called the Henschel Short Reconnaissance (Henschel SR).  Actually...is a Henschel Hs122...which quickly turned into the Hs126.  Wingspan is stated to be 18"...not that large...and not too small either.  Design was by an individual named Stan March and his lead-in to the original construction article is very...quaint, considering all that transpired.

THE new German Air Force is composed of some of the finest planes in the world. Right from the four-motor bombers down to the light trainers, Teutonic thoroughness is depicted.

The Henschel Short Reconnaissance plane is used extensively by the Luftwaffe, as the German Air Force is called. It is built by the Henschel Company at their new plant, situated in a little village called Schonfeld, on the outskirts of Berlin, and is typical of the observation class, as we should term it, the high-wing arrangement offering excellent visibility.

The ship is powered by a BMW Hornet and carries amongst its very complete equipment a two-way radio. It is a two-place job, having a gunner-observer in the back pit.

The German war-time ships have been great favourites with modellers, and if you have been keen on Fokker and Albatross ships, then here is what you have been looking for - a combination of the Black Cross and a modern 'plane, as well as a worthy addition to your collection, so let's get on with the model.

This build is so traditional...I personally might be tempted to turn the model into an Hs126 just for the sake of simplifying the LG into a single-strut affair.  Lots of color schemes to choose from...early or war-time.  I would also seriously invite anyone who would like to join in...construct your version right along with me...if you'd like, that is.

Neal
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2022 at 8:39am by Kerak »  

( 85 KB | 63 Downloads )
Henschel_SR-1.jpg
( 74 KB | 54 Downloads )
Henschel_SR-2.jpg
( 73 KB | 49 Downloads )
Henschel_SR-3.jpg
( 118 KB | 52 Downloads )
Henschel_SR-4.jpg
( 66 KB | 42 Downloads )
henschel-hs-122-1936-germany.jpg