Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Guillows Super Cub 95 VS Tree (Read 652 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Guillows Super Cub 95 VS Tree
Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2023 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Nice job on the repairs.  Glad the maiden after the IRAN (Inspect Repair As Needed) went well. Keep up the great work!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2023 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Finally had some time to finish the rebuild on the Super Cub. Wife and I have have been in throes of an 2nd floor remodel this summer. Boy do have anecdotes about that - but I digress... Wink

Anyway, Super Cub happy to have rebuilt this little one after I tree'd it. Had an opportunity to walk over to a near by field this evening and put a few winds in her and give it a toss. Delight to see her climb out and fly a small circle. Still, some more trimming and much larger field are required. Hope to get a vid soon!

Hope everyone is having a nice summer!

( 231 KB | 31 Downloads )
IMG_0715.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2023 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Great news...look forward to the reports of the check flight!

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2023 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
You're very welcome, sir! And that poor little Super Cub will see the wild-blue yonder soon enough!  Smiley

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2023 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mark for the input!!  I hadn't had this situation before but I see now that the Titebond can be glued with CA and have a successful repair!!! Great to know!

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2023 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Hi Tom. So as a test, I spread some Tite-Bond on two separate pieces of balsa and let it dry. Then I glued the balsa pieces together with my Hobby Town CA. By all accounts, it was a very good bond. After the CA cured, I twisted the two balsa pieces and the balsa tore before the glued joint failed - good enough for me.  Wink

So based on this, the rebuild process on my Super Cub is moving forward using CA for repairs.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2023 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing the thread tip and tell us more about how the gluing process went!

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2023 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Just wanted to take a moment share this. I started the repair process on my Super Cub. The first picture depicts the damaged wing. It broke off where it joins to the top of the fuselage. So that part where it joins, was still glued to the root wing rib. I wanted to see if I could separate that piece from the root rib so I might reuse it. The glue in this case, was Tite-Bond II.

Somewhere along the line, I learned that you can make fine cuts of soft material using thread. You simply un-spool a piece, pull it taunt and move the thread back and forth in a sawing motion.

So I tried this by carefully wedging the thread between these two pieces and began sawing. I was able to saw in between these pieces in under a minute and successfully separated them. The magic here, occurs not only due to the cutting action of the thread, but also, in this case, due to the heat generated by friction. I believe it was the heat softening the Tite-Bond as I cut, that helped make this work so well.

Now for the "luck part". A couple of months ago, I was working with 2 x 6 lumber and a scrap peice split in a most unusual way. It was so unusual that I decided to keep it because I thought it be useful.

In the pictures below, you can see what I mean. It was this piece of scrap that I used to clamp the wing down to a table with the root rib hanging over the edge so that I could perform the thread cutting technique. Because the shape of the split, it fit the wing ribs almost perfectly so I was able to clamp the wing down with no damage.

So after all this, a question. As mentioned, I used Tite-Bond to glue these two parts together. Wanting to reuse both the part that broke from the fuselage, and the wing root rib, I don't think I can use Tite-Bond for gluing because Tite-Bond will not bond to itself. Any suggestions about what glue might work in this case? CA maybe?

Edit: Did some research on some wood working websites and discovered that CA will bond to old glue. Going to try this on some test pieces first.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2023 at 2:58pm by MarkM »  

( 175 KB | 35 Downloads )
Wing_repair_1.jpg
( 178 KB | 40 Downloads )
Wing_repair_2.jpg
( 136 KB | 35 Downloads )
Wing_repair_3.jpg

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2023 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Roger that! I regret that I didn't make a proper removable nose block on this one so I can use a blast tube. All future builds will incorporate one. When I make repairs, perhaps I'll add this to the list of needed mods.

Thanks! Wink

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2023 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
If you're going for max turns, time for a winding tube!!! It'll save the fuselage from a broken motor in the winding process.

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2023 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Hey Tom! Thanks for your reply and encouragement! Honestly, it was a great evening. I was encouraged by the flights I had initially with this model and based on this, I have decided that this one will definitely get repaired. Naturally, the repair process will also provide a great learning experience.

In the mean time, in the upper left hand corner of this picture, you can see the bare fuse of my next build - a Peck Polymers One Nite 16". Looking forward to finishing this one but based on my lessons from the Super Cub, I won't be winding close to max turns in the same field that I was flying the Cub. Wink

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2023 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I appreciate your attitude Mark...you need to see Ian's post on the CBKETT Click Here
Sorry to hear of the difficult removal but glad to hear that your carrying on!! Smiley

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Guillows Super Cub 95 VS Tree
Apr 13th, 2023 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
She was a flyer, if just for an evening. But on what might have been the last toss, the air calmed, the circle straightened and she buried herself in a tall gnarly briar. As much as I tried to finesse her out, the tree would not give up its prize so easily. With each nudge and each descent from branch to branch, so too came the parts...
In the end, some loss but much was also gained through the experience. More builds, more experience and more beautiful evenings afield are just around the corner! 😉

( 196 KB | 53 Downloads )
DSC00457.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint