Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) J Mc Hard Stuka 17"ws (Read 10088 times)
Widdog
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: J Mc Hard Stuka 17"ws
Reply #27 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Very interesting Snake Stringer thanks for posting. I have been working on my flying. I also am building a DPCM Dr1 I have a build thread. Anyway for my next build will be either a Guillow's Cessna  180 or  Lancer reduced to peanut size.

IP Logged

Snaky Stringer

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #26 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 2:55am
Print Post  
J. D. McHard was a great modeller and a really nice person. I, too, have his Stuka plan, and having seen your video I think I should build one. I still haven't finished my Guillows Stuka and have a KeilKraft in my stash.. My Comet Corsair should be ready for a test flight fairly soon if I can get myself together and clear a bit of space, Your Corsair flight was very nice, Nicer than the Stuka, but the Stuka was impressive too.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
pb_guy wrote on Dec 11th, 2015 at 7:31pm:
No such thing as a "toy" S&T model. If it flies, it is golden. Especially if it is scratch built.
ian

"DITTO"

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #24 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
No such thing as a "toy" S&T model. If it flies, it is golden. Especially if it is scratch built.
ian

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 5:03am
Print Post  
You're actually doing fine, Wid.  Going back to "basics" is always a good idea when one feels lost or just wants to improve (one of the reasons I often go back to "toy" S&T models Wink).

Please start a new thread with your Bird Dog to keep the Stuka one from getting mixed up.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
I don't remember, does the Sterling plan show accommodations for a glow engine?(.049 or .020).  That could explain the use of the lumber in the wing.  I built the Berkeley kit when I was a kid.  Never got it to fly.  Crash it too much before I got it trimmed.  Didn't know about balance and gliding at the time!

Just looked the plan up on the net and see it does show a glow engine.  The strength built into this wing would probably make it a cantilever wing, allowing the plane to fly without using the wings struts for aerodynamic strength but just aesthetics.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Widdog
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
My posts are kind of like my flying all over the place. Anyway I have a question about the wings of the Sterling Bird Dog. I don't know if anyone has built this kit.or not. The plans call for wing spars of 1/8 x 3/16. Anyway I weighed it at 2 grams of lumber. That would make a very heavy but strong wing. Long story short I am thinking about modifying the wing.

Sterling models claim that all their designs are flight tested. Now the Q. Should I build per the plan or should I modify.?.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
terryman wrote on Dec 10th, 2015 at 3:26pm:
This is too funny.  When I was kid I also wanted them to fly in a straight line and they went in circles, well sort of.  Now I want them to circle and they go straight.  How do they know?

Terry

That was how they flew for me also. Tongue

IP Logged

terryman
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
This is too funny.  When I was kid I also wanted them to fly in a straight line and they went in circles, well sort of.  Now I want them to circle and they go straight.  How do they know?

Terry

IP Logged

NcGunny
5 Star Member

GO PANTHERS!

Reply #18 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I loved Steve's answer. When I was a kid we flew them and got.mad if they circled. We wanted a straight line,of course we didnt know any different and didnt have magazine articles to read... But then we were tossing them in either peanut or tobacco fields that were 1/2.mile long.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Lots of great info shared by the members here!  Widdog...
You might want to check out the "How to Fly Model Airplanes-Flight Trimming" section.  Lots of step by step insight on getting your models to fly so you can get them back.  Of course once you get them trimmed and they are flying good...watch out for "Hung"!  The Free Flight God of Thermals, he likes to take them OOS! (0ut Of Sight)

Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Widdog
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Sterling Model Bird Dog
Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Wow Thanks much Steve. Great post really answered my questions. Actually I thank all the members that gave me advice.

I am a member of the Flying Aces Club. I read the rule book and could not find anything about flying patterns. I did however read about the rules for scale appearance. BTW that is another area I need to improve.

I decided to put the McHard Stuka build on hold. I decided to
go back to basic training. I will be building a Sterling Model Bird Dog. I will add as much scale details as I can and really try to work on it's appearances. Also I will attempt to fly the model. I am going to build with the  Action Feature Leaflet Dropping.

( 38 KB | 49 Downloads )
Bird_tail.jpg

IP Logged

Steve B

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Hey Wid,

Great job on improving your flights!

A couple of comments. First, the indoor guys you were referring to in the video post are flying in the UK and they do not fly for endurance. They have to take off, fly for a minimum of I believe 15 seconds and then have a realistic landing. It's more about the take off and landing with them for flight points. Outdoors is in most cases about endurance. So while you can do very well with a low and slow approach out doors (Dave Livesay was big on that), you would need an extremely lightly built plane for that. You'd have to exclude any of the Guillow's models you like.
The other comment is about your flights you are posting. It is best to try and get a circular pattern. I have had a couple models that liked to wander as well but that is very scary depending on the size of the field you fly. I have found that a wandering flight in the power was either a loose nose block or a slight stall that causes the plane to fall off on a wing tip and head the other way until it catches enough speed to correct itself. Also, I'm not sure what your trimming method is but it looks like you are having some issues in the glide. You need to first balance the plane at the CG and leave it there. DO NOT ADD WEIGHT TO COMPENSATE FOR STALLS OR DIVES. You must use elevator adjustments until you get a good flat glide when you toss it about 20 feet ahead of you. After the glide looks good you then try power flights. If you stall use only thrust adjustments at this point. Sometimes you may need to add or take away wash out but mostly once the CG and the glide are established it's all thrust. I hope I was helpful

Steve

IP Logged

Widdog
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
My Corsair flies all over the place with no real pattern what so ever. Should I be trying to make it fly in circular patterns.?https://youtu.be/nHXhz9eQK9g

IP Logged

Widdog
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I did increase the prop size from 6 inch to 7 inch. It did help.
https://youtu.be/Mi69BFwqwHM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint