Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Comet Bellanca Junior tether flyer (Read 4323 times)
simpleflyer
Ex Member

Re: Comet Bellanca Junior tether flyer
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Go for it, Dave.  Touch and goes are fun with swingers.  Some practice, a slow flying well-behaved airplane, and a calm day are the main ingredients for a good outcome, plus a bit of luck Wink  We got lucky one day with this little 12 inch Comet Stinson, a few years back.

Al

( 51 KB | 96 Downloads )
Stinson_02-12-11.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Beautiful sunshiny day, a little cool, and way to windy for teather flying. So, hooked up the Bellanca Bullet, and went for it. At first it was throwing me around, but got my speed up, and she did just fine. It was kind of cool, I would bring her around full speed into the wind, and stop. Using the momentum I had built up, she would climb a little, but would come to a complete stop in midair for a couple seconds. Love this little plane. Love this tether flying. Now I wish it had wheels, part of me wants to start to try carrier touch and goes. I have a small workbench, with wheels on it in the backyard, for outdoor projects. Maybe I'll try it with my yellow Cessna because it has wheels, on a calmer day. Can Bellanca's and Cessna's land on carriers? This idea has all the makings of a crash, if I ever heard of one.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you're having a great time...flying the "Bellanca Bullet"!  I enjoyed the picture as well.  Keep up the great work!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Thought I would end the day before it got dark, and do a little tether flying. Went outside, and there was a good breeze going. For some reason, this little Bellanca is the fastest tether plane I have. I heard once, when it comes to flying in the wind, it's not how big the plane is, it's how fast you go. Hooked up the ole Bellanca, and she handled the wind just fine. To my surprise, I think this little Bellanca is my favorite. I can get this little thing going like a rocket.

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Dave, for posting the picture of your Bellanca in the air.  It looks like that it is flying nice and level. 

A lot of my pictures of models in flight come out blurry also.  My strategy to get reasonably good pictures to post is to shot a lot of pictures and cull them to get a few of the clearest ones and then crop the pictures to show the model in its most appealing view.  Another tip that works for me is to be very familiar with the model that I am photographing so I can fly it with my left hand and use my right hand for operating the camera since I am right handed.

Al

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Guess it shows how easy teather flying is. Fly with the right hand, and take a picture with the left. The actual picture is blurry, so I guess this downsized picture is really blurry. But there it is, flying. With a UFO even coming in to  investigate it, (the moon).

( 112 KB | 90 Downloads )
100_0340.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Outstanding Dave...I love it!!!!

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Your Bellanca looks great, Dave, and I'm glad it is a good flyer for you.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Al

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Skipped the landing gear. Still need to make the side window decals and N#'s for it yet. I definately learned allot. I set up a small table in the back room, and did not use the basement. It was kind of fun, it was more like a hobby. As usual, the glue was hardly dry, and I had it out in the back yard flying it. Flies great. I think I have another tether flier favorite.

( 133 KB | 151 Downloads )
100_0334.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Thought I would totally step out of my comfort zone. And I left the dope and silkspan in the basement. I used a UHU gluestick, bargain tissue pack from AC MOORE, and Eze dope. Thought I would also try to lay different colors on top of each other. This was experimental for me, after watching everyone else here on Stick and Tissue. This is new for me, there is zero paint on this one. And I was surprised how easy the front of the cowl went.

( 136 KB | 94 Downloads )
100_0333.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Comet Bellanca Junior tether flyer
Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Love this tether flying. Just walk out the back door, and have a little fun. I enjoy my yellow Comet Cessna so much, thought I'd try another small Comet build. Came up with this Bellanca Junior plans from Outerzone.

( 131 KB | 162 Downloads )
100_0335.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint