Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guillow's P-51D Mustang (yep, another one) (Read 95045 times)
Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Re: Guillow's P-51D Mustang (yep, another one)
Reply #306 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Using a ruler and dull T-pin on the backside, I managred to produce domed rivets onto the plastic/paper wing spar.  I tried to replicate the patterns of rivets seen on full scale Mustangs.

I also added some tiny strips of plastic to simulate the brackets on the spar.

The rest of the pictures should be self-explanatory, but there was a little surprise waiting for me when I was finished with the spar.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2019 at 10:35pm by Skyediamonds »  

( 99 KB | 49 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar___1A.jpg
( 128 KB | 42 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar_detail___10A.jpg
( 70 KB | 43 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar_detail___9A.jpg
( 99 KB | 45 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar___9B.jpg
( 70 KB | 39 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar_detail___11A.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #305 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
The steps I took were pretty easy.  The original spar wasn't too far back, so I only needed a strip of balsa that would be thick enough to bring the "face" of the wing spar forward nearer  to the wheel well outline.  This turned out to be a strip of balsa about 1/8" thick.

The first two pictures shows  the original spar that's just within sight of the wheel well outline.  I added some extra balsa at the end to help give it some added strength for the extra length of the new 1/8" balsa strip that was going to be added to the spar. 

The third photo shows the 1/8" thick balsa strip that will be laminated to the original spar.  As can be seen, it's depth is wider to account for the upper and lower wing skins.  It is also thck enough to move the "face" of the wing spar closer to the wheel well outlines.

Now it's the time to dress up the "face" of the spar that will be seen by viewers.  As with my previous building style, I try to avoid the hassles sanding, priming & finishing as much as possible and let the thin sheets of either plastic or thick glossy paper to do the work for me.  In this case, it's turned out to be a combination of both.  It's glossy paper that was laminated between two ultra thin sheets of plastic,  I got the sheets from a local store that was handing them out as a promotional gimic.  I just asked for as many as they could spare.  Maybe I came off like an overly enthusiastic prospective customer?

( 66 KB | 46 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar___8A.jpg
( 82 KB | 53 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar___7A.jpg
( 82 KB | 49 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar___2A.jpg
( 72 KB | 47 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar___5A.jpg
( 89 KB | 53 Downloads )
P-51_wing_spar___4A.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #304 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
If the rest of the wing will be closed off with wing skin...why not just built the wheel well to the needed deminsions and close up the wing?  I know for a purist that may sound like sacriledge! Embarrassed Lips Sealed Cry

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #303 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
When reviewing the wheel wells on both plastic models & full sized aircraft, I also noticed that the wing spar is located right behind the wheel well.  In fact, some areas near the rear straight-edged portion of wheel well, the spar actually slightly sticks out.

This means two steps.  I will have to increase the depth of the spar itself and also bring it closer to the edges of the wheel well outlines.

( 217 KB | 59 Downloads )
P-51_wheel_well_detail___39A.png
( 211 KB | 68 Downloads )
P-51_wheel_well_detail___42A.png
( 190 KB | 61 Downloads )
P-51_wheel_well_detail___54A.png

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #302 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Well gentlemen,

I've had to review all 21 previous pages to figure out where I left off and where I need to begin.  Suffice to say, I've covered a lot of grounds.

I'm still working out the kinks on the instruments for the cockpit.  I've had some mixed success and trying to finalize some of the highlights. 

So, that being said, I thought it best to continue on with the detailing of the wheel wells.  My last post on this subject was back on page 12, starting with post # 173.  So, I'll briefly review just this narrow topic before moving on. 

One of my objectives was to increase the depth of the airfoil to the wings.  More specifically, to the undersides.   The original Guillow's wing is very flat bottomed, as it was designed for rubber power.  This was covered in my previous postings (Page 7 Reply # 100) as it looked out of place with a scale Mustang with a "Clark Y" airfoil, when it's supposed to be laminar.  I took up Mike's advice and added some extra material to the undersides of the ribs to give the wing some "roundness' and have it resemble more closely to a laminar airfoi.

However, as can be seen in this picture, the added thickness brought on another challenge.  The original wing spar is now too narrow in depth between the top and bottom skins.  As seen in this photo ( I'm holding the wing upside down with the underside on top), the added materials have "raised" the bottom skin above the spar.  Soooo..... my next step was to address this issue.

Ever notice how one modification to the model, leads to other steps that must be taken in order to compensate for the original mod?

( 76 KB | 56 Downloads )
P-51_wheel_well_detail___19A_001.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #301 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Thank you sir!  I'll start resuming shortly.  Just taking one step at a time.  I've done lots of work and it seems nothing is done,,... but that's detailing.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #300 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Gary,
Great to hear from you again.  I look forward to the progress.  You can never get too many P-51's! Cheesy Wink Cool

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #299 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen:

I sincerely thank each and everyone of you for your support and understanding.  It's been a long road to recovery and it's still a mess.  However, there's a light shining at the end of a long tunnel and praying for health and success. 

I answered ibscrooge's build thread on his P-38 so I must be getting better.  In this build thread on the Mustang, I'm going to start bouncing around from cockpit to the wings, to the tail feathers and back.  It's just one of those things where I can't seem to find any consistency.  I work on a portion of the model, then a week (or month) goes by and I find myself working on something else.  So I am hoping you'll bear with me.  Must be my OCD or something..... Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2019 at 4:39pm by Skyediamonds »  

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #298 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Sorry to hear of your loss, Gary.
I send my deepest condolences to you and your family.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbAea8pF8VufHtNr9mQv1Iw

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #297 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Sorry to hear that you are going through this grieving process Gary. Many of us have made this journey, and I can say from personal experience that you will be in the grieving process for about two years. Take as much time away from building and participating as you need. Our sympathies for your loss. I know it hurts a lot.
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #296 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Sorry to hear of your loss.  Thinking of you!!!

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #295 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Just a short note to say I apologize for the lack of postings.  There has been a passing of one of our family members and it's been a mess.  I trust that I'll be getting back soon to post more of my  builds on the Mustang.

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #294 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Mike,

Thank you!  Need those words of encouragement. 

Gary

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #293 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 6:48am
Print Post  
More great work and this i going to be another great model.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #292 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Tom,

Thank you for  those compliments.  They're much appreciated.  However, my detailing gets worst.... in a good way. Well, sort of.  Kind of.  I think..... Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47
Send TopicPrint