Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Paul Bradley No-Cal Cook Up (Read 130147 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Paul Bradley No-Cal Cook Up
Reply #157 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Jello diving.  Jello diving.  Yes.  I think I like the sound of that. I bet theres a forum for it.  Grin  Im gonna look. Grin
Havent bed strafed yet but did wave it above my head and make engine noises.  Grin  Admit it, you all have done it. How could you not?
I think I got my prop bearing snug enough. I had to taper the end of the bearing block [ casting flash mostly ] and it wont fall out unless you shake it. We will see. If it needs nose weight, I could dob a bit of bearing grease. That stuff is sticky enough to hold a bolt in a socket upside down. If it doesnt work, I can just wipe it off.

eric

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

jeff
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #156 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Congrats Eric Grin Looks good....and It's your first cookup, and heck who cares how look it took, I have not even cut the wood for mine yet Grin  Cookups last as long as people are still building.   jeff

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #155 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
   Eric, really cool model. Have you bed-strafed yet?
   Congratulations on finishing a Cookup, something I've never done...I've also never gone jello diving, but this is a wee bit more feasable: I was casting around for a model to hang my new motor tube on, and figured I'd do a Dauntless. Currently swinging between doing my own colors and just succumbing to the Bradley Way, so darn convenient...we'll see.
   Michael

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #154 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
thymekiller wrote on Oct 27th, 2008 at 7:19am:
 Michael, just a suggestion, but, when your being funny, use one of these; Grin   
   But I'm not funny.

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

papa
4 Star Member

Gravity sucks

Reply #153 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 8:20am
Print Post  
WE're so proud. . .our little Eric went and did it - Hooray! Well done that man.  Grin Grin

(The crowd went wild was a line I was going to use)

Nice job mate. The ammount of learning in those few sticks. . .It looks great. Watch the prop hub is nice and tight (if it moves about you'll have an 'interesting' time trimming) Don't worry about the time thing - these things take as long as they take. It's like waitin' for a bus sometimes you just have to wait until it gets there; sometimes a whole bunch come along at once.

(By the way I know balsa sometimes has a fuz. , but hair clippers!!) Shocked

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #152 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Drum roll Please...........TA-DA!!!!!! Shocked Cool Shocked Cool The crowd goes wild!!!

It is done. Complete. And it only took me 6 months! Shocked Thats o.k. I know a cookup is not a race. AND I have a big handful of really cool excuses.   I only need to make a motor and try it. NO chance of flying outside any time this week. My smarter half has all manor of dangley things hanging on the front porch.[they are all wind socks to me] The wind has got them nearly straight out. Its 31 degrees outside. Will post a vid as soon as I can but dont hold your breath.  Wink For now , it will get a portable home and wait for its day in the sun.
I want to thank my mom and dad for surporting me in my dreams and I want to thank my agent and my road crew..... Huh
No kidding, I really do want to thank everybody who helped me build what is easly the most fragile thing I have ever constructed in my life.
This is my first cookup. [I', sure you can tell] It was great fun. As I look back over the thread, It seems like all the info is there from several angles. Anybody could read the thread and shouldnt have any problem building one. I have not read fully any other cookups, [dont know why not] but now i see them in a different lite. Hooray for us!!

eric

ps    Michael, just a suggestion, but, when your being funny, use one of these; Grin   That way the "special" kid knows its a joke. Cheesy  Tongue Also, in case your thinking about it, you might want to hold on to that day job just a little longer.....  Wink

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #151 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
thymekiller wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:27pm:
 Sorry, perhaps I mislead. I'm in springfield missouri.
   Okay, well still. How close to Cleveland--hm, 12 hours. Likewise Denver. Wow, right in the middle of what Unca Dougie Wilkey (in Tennesee) used to call "Flyover Country."
   I may know a guy. I'll look.
Quote:
Oh, I meant a gym to fly in. I'm allergic to working out, as you can plainly see.  
   I knew that. I make joke., Ho,  it is to laugh, make grand joke with naive Western Bourgois swine,  O I am clever terribleist. Ample, rotund, arthritic terribleist. But urbane in his way.
   Michael

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #150 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
  Sorry, perhaps I mislead. I'm in springfield missouri. Last year we moved from corpus crispy. Corpus is a decent town but its too hot and they dont have foliage that blooms and dosent hurt.The wind never stops. I think all the plants and animals down there sting or bite. As far as plants there is no change in the seasons. We have video of a christmas snow. Truley. On the bay. Happens once every 100 years. Got 6 inches and it was gone the next day or so.
  Theres a fantastic private air and war musem in kingsville. [ near seguin] They have MANY full scale replicas of some pretty old stuff and they fly them. Last I heard the "newest" thing they had was a fokker tri-wing. I was gonna volunteer, but life got in the way. I think they stick with ww1 stuff.  They set up an army camp and dress up and invite the public once a year. They have jeeps, ambulance,a medic tent, mess tent, guns all kinds of stuff. I'm sure Duco Guru could give you all the info on it. Close to San Antonio if you google it.
  If you get to dallas, I hear theres a real p-40 that flyies at one of the airports.  Dont know if its still there. Hopeing to find out for sure around christmas.
Oh, I meant a gym to fly in. I'm allergic to working out, as you can plainly see. Grin
eric                                                                                                                        

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #149 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:31am
Print Post  
thymekiller wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:35am:
  Cant get that in south texas.  
   Hey, didn't think of this before: you got some Good Guys around you (I know, it's a big state, but--): Mike Isermann's near Galveston as is Bob Isaacks, Rich Adams is somewhere, Mike Midkiff--put a shout out on SFA and see where the meets are.
   Bob has a heckuva fearful rep online, but he'll give away his car when you're on the field with him. All these abovementioned are treasures, and well worth hanging with.
  Michael

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #148 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:24am
Print Post  
thymekiller wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:35am:
Its all been done before. I need to re-do some of it for the experince. I dont want to just copy others, I want to know WHY its done that way. I want my own "feel". Does that make sense? 
   Every bit. "Try it and see," means just exactly that.
   I've always been frustrated by some guy on a Forum reacting so someone's model with "It won't work that way, just tweak this tip and so&so the badonkadonk, wind to 1500 and let go, there, all you need to know." --And what do you really know, but one special case?
   I've always told guys to build cheep test models for anything they want to do outside the conventional, but it's also a darn good idea for the conventional--a One Nite 20 with everything rubberbanded on, you can play with incidences and all manner of stuff and see the result. Extra wings, no tail, multiple vitamins, whatever. I hardly ever follow my own advice, by the way.
Quote:
Got a buddy who claimes he can get me into a gym. We will see.
   Yah, my friends have been trying with me for years. And look at me. Gawd.
   Michael

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #147 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:35am
Print Post  
  Gotcha"   Its all been done before. I need to re-do some of it for the experince. I dont want to just copy others, I want to know WHY its done that way. I want my own "feel". Does that make sense? By standing on others shoulders, I can leap-frog thru some of the learning curve, I hope. By the same token, thats what got me in trouble with making the tube.  Embarrassed
Did a test run on the tube this morning. I/16, 150% fuse lengh and got [maybe] 2 min. prop time. It holds the rubber just fine. Will try bigger stuff later. Then will add the plane and see how she does. Got a buddy who claimes he can get me into a gym. We will see. At least a week before I can fly outdoors. I dont think cold , damp wind will  help much. Makes for a pretty fall. Cant get that in south texas.  Mean time , I can build a box for it and START THE T-CRAFT !!!!! Cool Cool Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

eric

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #146 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:09am
Print Post  
thymekiller wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:21am:
 Curious about how far away from the tube is best. I was careful to align where the rubber will attach so that the rubber is parallel to the stick. Does that make any real differance?  Does thrust setting cancel that notion out? Thrust setting will be easy with the wire holder.
  I give it maybe 5/16"-3/8" clearance from side of tube to motor C/L, that's good enough for a bunchy 3/32" loop. I'll set the tube with the hook & bearing angled so the motor's running about that same distance from the model's frame and the thrust C/L running through the model C/L.
  Careful lining up--maybe&maybenot. This may be one of those things we overworry while missing something big like getting the model set up straight. The important part is, keep what you can of the motor as low as possible; but don't make for extra bearing-bending to do it. Extreme thrust offsets in short bearings make friction and power loss, but we often forget that, and it's not real relevant in NoCals anyway. Three-four degrees can be handled by the nice Czech front end.
Quote:
One more. What if a person put the rubber INSIDE the tube? Would the tube need to be so big that a stick/box frame would weigh less?
  Well--that's what most of Duration has gone to, and it works there because you have no fuselage requirements to live up to.
  Putting a motor tube inside a fuselage means one more structure to add weight. Okay, but you make the fuselage of lighter stuff to compensate? Well, but then how do you work up hardpoints to hang wings & tail on? And how to keep your thumb from going through the fragile structure?
  It's been tried before. Try it, you may find the answer; but stick & tissue has evolved into a pretty good structure now called "traditional" that guys know and are used to building with, which makes building easy for them--they don't have to reinvent structure with every new model. You may find a new way, or learn something useful if you don't.
  Stick & tissue structure uses balsa in its strongest mode--compressibility--held in position by tissue in tension mode, which traditionally means shrunk (for tension) and doped (to set the tissue in a matrix, much like epoxy does with limp fiberglass). This is why guys who pre-shrink or don't dope (or Krylon or whatever) often end up with floppy, fragile models, unless they modify their framework for more rigidity; which often means adding weight over the old good way. Notice, the magic film coverings are often springy, and the Duration guys who use them also are using CF torque tubes or D-tube wings to take up the flop. Then, there's the film/tissue sandwich, which just makes me wonder why?
  We keep looking for some silver bullet to the win, and in the meantime these old geezers keep building their old models and winning, by the experience gained in doing the same thing over and over 'til they get it down GOOD.
  It's all a trade-off. Y'find your own best way.
  Michael

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #145 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Shagadelic baby!!!  Yea!!!! Grin

eric

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #144 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:21am
Print Post  
  Cool. A notch arcross the top to nest into would be a good plan. Hadnt thought of that. The glue in the center and on top is ca. School glue holds the blocks in the tube. If it doesent work I can soak and remove the ends or just make a new one.  Now that I have the knowledge to do so its easy.
I,m not setting any records with this one becuase the tissiue is kinda special to me. I will wind it lightly and if it flys or not I will save it. There are many profile planes that I can max out. I will probly "kit" a few and build them all at once. With purpous built jigs it would be a snap to make a bunch of them and stock them while working on other stuff.
I robbed the wire from a guillows kit. I need to get better wire. Should be easy where I live. What I have is indeed stiff, but you only get one shot at big bends. After that it snaps. Again, I will test wind before attaching to the plane. 
Curious about how far away from the tube is best. I was careful to align where the rubber will attach so that the rubber is parallel to the stick. Does that make any real differance?  Does thrust setting cancel that notion out? Thrust setting will be easy with the wire holder.
  One more. What if a person put the rubber INSIDE the tube? Would the tube need to be so big that a stick/box frame would weigh less?
Thanks for the help.

eric

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #143 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:37am
Print Post  
  By the way: d'I ever show you this one? Supermarine Walrus root-canal model, built for a local club event. Used to rescue downed pilots, they called the plane "Shagbat." Look closely, that's Austin Powers in the cockpit.
  Michael

( 44 KB | 51 Downloads )
SHG2.jpg

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Send TopicPrint