Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) F4u Corsair build cookup? (Read 37310 times)
Snaky Stringer

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: F4u Corsair build cookup?
Reply #36 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I live in the United Kingdom, in Wales, actually, and Sams is a well-known supplier of wood, tissue, kits, plans etc. I think I last bought from them in 1991 and I believe they are now under new management. They used to have a printed catalogue but maybe now it's all on line

http://www.samsmodels.com/

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
SS, I pick up most of my wood from the local Hobby Town. They have some hard (for LE & TE) and soft balsa for other stuff, but I have to order any "C" grain from National.

Who is SAMS?

Bob

IP Logged

Snaky Stringer

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #34 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Ah yes, good wood. If I stick with the fuselage as built I am stuck with the kit wood, which is pretty solid stuff. However in the past I built the Comet Avenger from kit wood and it flew fairly well by  my standards of the day. I still have most of that fuselage as well as the Dauntless, which also flew quite well. My best Comet fliers, I think, have been the 24 inch Thunderbolt and the 20 inch Spitfire IX, which I have in mind to modify to a Spitfire XI photo reconnaissance in USAF colours, as seen on youtube.
I must contact Sams about some good wood, although the amount of wood in the wing hardly justifies it, I suppose. The tail, on the other hand...

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
SS, after Tom posted the link from outerzone I went and down loaded the print wood for the Comet plan and have decided on that plan for the cookup. Now to obtain some good wood from National.

Bob

IP Logged

Snaky Stringer

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #32 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
I have, or in a way had, the Fighters Of WW2 book, including the Corsair plan. I bought the book a long time ago soon after it was published and built the Zero a long time ago. I think I still have some bits of it. It flew quite well but I was more of a novice then than now ( still really a novice). I finally cut the book up and filed the separate plans away so the book is no longer in one piece. It is an invaluable source of ideas and it's nice to know it's available out there.The Frank Scott Corsair wing is definitely more accurate than the Comet one, although the Comet fuselage seems to me to accurate enough, and one doesn't need to vacuum form the birdcage canopy because the plan version will work fine. A tiny modification to the cockpit area might make the cockpit opening more realistic and perhaps a photographic reproduction of the instrument panel might be fun, but perhaps that isn't really in the spirit. Whoever built the model for the photographs on the plan was pretty good. The landing gear also leaves some room for a bit of fancy detailing if you're that way inclined. My plan is to built it gear up initially and add plug-in gear if the flights are successful.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Tom, don't do it I just tried to transfer some info from my flash drive such my budget (excel) and some photos, but they will not download.

Wait a minute, I just was able to print some national insignia for my P40. Wink Now to be able to learn how to resize or save pdfs.

Ok enough of this its the wrong forum any way.

bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Hang in there Bob, there's always a learning curve with these confusers when they are updated. More bells and whistles aren't always a good thing! But you'll get a handle on it.  I didn't care for Microsoft 7 when it came out.
My internet connection is so slow that I haven't been able to download the "10".

Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 8:58am
Print Post  
I just got my new HP Slim Line desktop running (Windows 10) and I hate the program. Nothing is the same, Cheesy PDF does not work as before, I cannot print now Angry Angry Angry and I've been reading and going on HP's and Microsoft websites to get help. Its geared more to the younger generation.

When I go into a flash drive that has my plans they were changed to internet edge and do not show as pdf now. Cry

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #28 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Bob,
Outerzone says it's comet plan has all the formers too.  Click Here Comet F4U
The formers are there!! I double checked!
If your mind is set on doing the birdcage version! The complete plan is there!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
RJ, here is Joe Ott's plan called: Vought Sikorsky 

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4535

IP Logged

RJ
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #26 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I've decided to go with the Frank Scott plan found at Outerzone. I agree with staubkorb, it should be a good flyer, and that's what I want!  The build will perhaps be more tedious than might be the case with other plans, but this is OK. I need the experience!

The notes next to the plan show that the it came from "Flying Scale Models of WWII". I found this publication on Outerzone at http://www.outerzone.co.uk/books/list_chapters.asp?book=3. Worth a look see!

I will be seeking answers to the following questions as my build progresses. Any/all suggestions will be welcomed!

- Should I build in some positive incidence for the wing? (Probably, and I'll try. Will also try to allow for adjustment of the stab incidence.)

- Should I add washout to the wing tips? (Not sure about this. Needed on my Spitfire.)

- Is the dihedral provided by the plans sufficient? (I think that it is, but will cogitate on this some.)

- Is the position of the rear motor peg OK? (Not sure about this one. Will have to think on it.)

Cheers!

P.S. I have not seen the Joe Ott plan. Is it freely available?

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Tom, I have that plan and I was about to post a general request for outerzones link since I have lost many due to the new computer I've just set up. Thanks!

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Just for clarity...the McHard Corsair was actually designed by Frank Scott and it's the plan found on Outerzone Here

So if you look for the McHard F4U it won't show up except as this F4U by Frank Scott.

I just was looking for the plan and found this info out!  So enjoy!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Of the three, I'd pick the McHard.  It's a "modern" design and designed to fly.  McHard has increased the dihedral in a way that it is not noticeable and also increased the tailplane size while showing the "scale" outline as a dotted line

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 8:31am
Print Post  
I will need to go with a different plan, the Comet plan that I have does not show any former or rib templates. So! Ill need to look another and I am trying to narrow my decision down from these:

Sterling F4U-5 24"ws
Vought F4U Corsair by Doug Mchard
Joe Ott Vought Sikorsky

I dont have a three headed coin so it will be a spin off.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint