Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Miss Dara - Build (Read 32313 times)
Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Re: Miss Dara - Build
Reply #32 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Last post for the weekend.  I couldn't stop myself from piecing Miss Dara together.  I have to say she is looking nice Smiley

I took everyone's advice about adding dihedral (thanks again to everyone) and hopefully you can see about a 3/4 per tip dihedral.  I added a 1/32 half rib shim to the root wing rib and it seemed to work out perfect.

Here are a couple of shots of Miss Dara 'put together'.  I did increase the vert. fin size slightly, but I don't think it looks overly done.

I do have some adjustments to do on the wheel pants.  I used very light/soft balsa and I'm finding things - drifting.  For one I have to make the axle depth equal and then I'll move on from there.

I'm starting to think about covering/colors/design.  Any suggestions?  The only photos I have of the real Miss Dara are in B/W -so who knows.

Happy March everyone !!!

Brad

( 151 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_43.JPG
( 135 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_44.JPG
( 139 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_45.JPG
( 122 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_48.JPG
( 118 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_49.JPG

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -  Philip K. Dick
GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #31 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
First, thanks for the advice on the landing gear wire.  I always appreciate everyone's help.

Great weekend!!!  Sunny, rainy, windy fun in Oregon Smiley which allowed me a bit of time to stay inside and build.

The cheek cowls came together nicely.   They aren't perfect and still need work, but I have them pretty close.  I also cut and carved up the chin scope which was fun.  The canopy plug is looking good and I'm working layers of primer/filler and sanding to get it smooth.  Also, I made the spinner.  I came out pretty well.  I have it hollowed out about 3/8th inch deep but need to go a bit more.  Then the fun of cutting and fitting the side slits - any advice there???  I have not discovered an easy way to do  this other than going slow and carving bit by bit.  I'm currently fitting to the 4.75 prop per advice here.

More picture and updates soon.

Brad

( 130 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_42.JPG
( 125 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_46.JPG
( 92 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_47.JPG

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -  Philip K. Dick
GTalk  
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 5:22am
Print Post  
I don't think there will be much need for "extra" mass at the schnoot for this build.  The front overhang is quite long plus a relatively long spinner might make TAIL weight necessary (my RIVETS needed a pinch at the end).

For LG wire, I use mostly 0.8mm (1/32nd inch) for most of my peanuts up thru 18" span models.  A lot depends on the gear length and projected weight.  About the only criteria that I find useful is whether the gear will support the model, at rest, without spreading plus a "drop test" before covering to see how much the gear spreads/deflects.

For models with complex gears were multiple wires need to be used, I can easily use thinner wire usually ending up with a stiffer setup than I need.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Looking very good.  When I used to build rc (always lower case, as Pete says) models, I'd often just build the outline of cheeks like that with thick balsa strips forming a box that could be sanded to shape leaving the interior hollow.  Just easier than using a chunk of balsa that would have to be hollowed out later.  But with a Free Flight (always Capitalized) model you'll probably need some weight up there anyway! 

Keep up the great work.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

jwwasham
3 Star Member

Go Lemmings, Go!

Reply #28 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Looking very good Brad!  Nice carving skills. Smiley

I usually use 1/32" wire, (.031) but going up to .040 is like a huge leap in stiffness without too much weight gain.  A lot of people use much lighter stuff than I do.

My local hobby shop carries all the sizes that I need, and I like to support the last real hobby shop in my area.  Some of the hardware stores will have a K&S rack.  You might find that taking an inexpensive digital caliper with you will be a big help.

John

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.
"Simplify, then add lightness"  Colin Chapman
A closed mind is just a useless weight on the shoulders.

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #27 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Skypilot, thanks for letting me know about checking the plans.  I completely understand how distortions can occur.  I've always loved old school drafting (T-squres/triangles) so I look forward to a little time confirming future plans before diving in.

I happily got to start carving last night.  I got the top laminates carved to fit and glued in place on the main cowl block.  I also started to carve the canopy plug and it's taking shape nicely.  I forget how much I do enjoy actual carving and shaping.  I also got the lower intake cut out and some of the front nose block started.

Question for everyone:  what size piano wire do you use for your landing gear?  The wire I used is quite thin and bouncy, although it does hold it's shape.  I honestly don't know what thickness it is but it seem one size to light.  And were do you find your piano wire?

Brad

( 131 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_39.JPG
( 139 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_40.JPG
( 137 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_41.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Brad,
A lot of these plans posted on the internet including our site have been copied and scanned a number of times and this can lead to distortion.  As Pete has pointed out, it's always good to measure the plan when you print it to check for symmetry and accuracy.  Sometimes we forget to advise fellow modelers to do this.  It's even advised for plans that you purchase from a service because the printing process can cause a similar situation. 

This plane is looking really good and looks like you've added a good bunch of stuff for your building stash! You'll want to add to this from time to time and once in a while do an inventory to see what you have left!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Thank you for the advice on the dihedral and encouragement with the cheek cowls!!.  Currently I am at about 1/4 inch at each tip once I pull the base rib tight to the fuselage.  I'll add a half rib shim of 1/32 balsa and sand to get a bit more dihedral when completed.

I got a fun package yesterday from Peck Polymers.  Lots of props, wheels and pin clamps (I'm going to give them a try).  I also got an assortment of Japanese tissue - it's always nice to have choices.

Thanks for the advice on the tail Staubkorb.  I'm going to enlarge the tail fin slightly from the scale outline.  The photo shows my plan - just a bit larger.  I've never thought of needing to check plans for accuracy, but Miss Dara is teaching me otherwise.  I would call the plans 'loose'.

I finally have a plan of attack and made progress on the cheek cowls.  I messed around with cutting several nose and side formers and trying to get them aligned etc. and it just was not coming together in a neat and tidy fashion.  So I dug into my stock of balsa and now have two nice 1/2 inch balsa base elements.  I will add 1/8 to 3/16th additional top and bottom for center cowl thickness and then cut them to the side contour.   I'm really happy with the fit and alignment so far.  I'm also very pleased to find that there will not be many difficult compound curves to match them to the fuselage.  They are positioned on a fairly flat area!!!  Once shaped and fitted I'll hollow them out and cut the front intake openings.

( 123 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_35.JPG
( 109 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_36.JPG
( 100 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_37.JPG
( 107 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_38.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 6:45am
Print Post  
As staubkorb stated, those cheek cowls are a real pain (which is why I have stayed away from F1s). REALLY NICE BONES Brad Smiley

bob

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Curiosity got the better of me, so I downloaded the plan and did some measuring.  The first thing I noticed was that there is a discrepancy with the symmetry of the stab and a very slight one in the wing panel span.

Another is the shape of the ribs - they all show a slight reflex, which might serve as a stability aid.  Did you cut your ribs with a perfectly flat bottom?

The stab area, as drawn, is approx 24% of the wing area, so theoretically it should be OK.  The vert. stab, however, might be a bit small.

I may be all wet, especially if Willis got his to fly, as drawn, successfully.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Really sharp work!  I have a penchant for racers, especially Formula 1 (planes and cars).

The cowl cheeks can be a royal PITA, and I have my issues with them also.  Doing them in balsa (soft and light) is probably the easiest (from a handling PoV) and hollowed out if needed.  The hollowing should be done after the part is shaped to fit where it's to be mounted - you're fitting to a compound curve.  Medium to high density open-cell foam - green, pink or blue - carves an sands very well and makes a gawd awful mess that gets everywhere.

One area has me a bit skeptical tho...  The stab appears extremely small.  Is it built to the size on the plan or did you use the "scale" sizing?  Experience has shown that a stab area of ~20% (25% is better) of the wing area is about the minimum needed for a stable scale FF model.  This can (and in many cases does) affect the looks of the model, but the increase in flyability makes it worthwhile.

Just a thought...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Brad,
She's a beauty.  Keep up the great work.  Glad the wings went on so well.  Do you have any dihedral in those wings?  I highly recommend some dihedral.  You want the tips to be at least a smidge above the thrust line if not even with the bottom of the canopy.  Free Flight models need this dihedral for stability in flight.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
I did a test 'fitting' today and I'm super happy.  The wing rib I mounted to the fuselage has notches for the spars and they worked perfectly.  The wings fit great and look straight and level.  Whew!!  I took some photos of Miss Dara with all the current elements assembled.  I think she's going to look nice  Smiley

Cheek cowls and canopy form are the next big items up.

Brad

( 163 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_29.JPG
( 154 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_30.JPG
( 136 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_31.JPG
( 142 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_32.JPG
( 114 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_33.JPG
( 118 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_34.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I put on the side stringers, bottom formers and stringers and did a little shaping around the cockpit opening.  I'm really happy with how everything turned out.  I also did the initial shaping of the wheel pants which are looking good.   

I am finding myself doing everything I can to avoid starting the cheek cowls - ha.  Once I start I'll be fine.  It's just getting those first forms sized and cut to shape and figuring out the nose block configuration that's holding me up.  It's coming together in my head so I know I'm getting close to taking the leap.

Brad

( 141 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_26.JPG
( 105 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_27.JPG
( 104 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_28.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
I squeezed in a bit of time today and bent the landing gear and it seems fairly even and level for having used pliers.  I also cut and glued the wheel pants together and attached the mounting root rib to the fuselage.  I'm considering now whether to carve the cheek cowls from balsa block or make them with formers and stringers.

( 106 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_24.JPG
( 138 KB | Downloads )
MissDara_25.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint