Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spirit of St Louis tether flyer build (Read 7450 times)
DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Spirit of St Louis tether flyer build
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Saw this adjustable jig once upon a time, and thought it was a good idea for building this type of fuselage. Never built it because this is project #4789, and I am on only #2719. But it worked basically as shown. Two rails that you could support the fuselage by the keels. Made some more squares. This is looking like the straightest stick and tissue fuselage I have ever built. Going to keep working on the fuselage.

( 81 KB | 60 Downloads )
fuse_jigged.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Started off the day building the horo stab wrong. Came up with an idea to repair it, it is what it is. Roughed out the vert stab. And using solid wingtips instead of the plastic ones.

( 79 KB | 56 Downloads )
tail_parts.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Fuselage is coming along. I am happy with the results of using the squares. Things are looking pretty good so far. This is where I am at as of Saterday morning. I decided I am going to ignore reality today, and spend all day working in the basement. Your attitude affects your altitude. Think I am going to glue the wheels together, bend the landing gear wire, and build the tail surfaces, to start the day off simple. Further pictures to follow.

( 178 KB | 74 Downloads )
fuse_2.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Started the fuselage. Watching the guys over at the Schnider Trophy Cup, I am trying to step up my builds, and I made these squares to use. I tried to make them large enough to use with my normal builds, but small enough to also use here. They are a little big.

( 117 KB | 48 Downloads )
fuse_1.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Got the wing together. The center section is unfinished. Been round and round with what to do with the dihedral. The plans show an 1 1/2" on both sides, which I understand for free flight. But I don't want that on my tether airplane, or also on the Spirit of St Louis. I think it would drastically detract from the looks. Then I was on 1/4" on either side, which looks like nothing. As of today I am on 1/2" on either side. Al mentioned somewhere where dihedral helped one of his planes, maybe it will be enough for free flight, and maybe it won't detract from the looks too much. Any ideas out there how I should have minimum for free flight?

( 94 KB | 44 Downloads )
wing_001.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 3:23am
Print Post  
So the guys over at the Schnider Trophy Cup cookup, inspired to build another stick and tissue build. Had this kit up in the attic for some time. And thought it would be a perfect tether build. Was also going to try to keep it free flight capable. We'll see what happens. Have this idea of using magnets to attach just the nosecone for tether flying. And attach the prop/bearing, and backer plate also with magnets, to fly it free flight. And be able to shim the side and downthrust with addition of magnets as shims. Although, I am up here in PA, and winter is just starting to move in. So I have no clue when I'll be able to test my free flight idea.

( 118 KB | 76 Downloads )
100_0276.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Spirit of St Louis tether flyer build
Nov 26th, 2016 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Ran across this tether flying idea several months ago. Finally found a bamboo pole, ran upstairs and attached the 2 models shown, and have been in love with the hobby ever since. It is so easy and fun, and I get a chance to fly every day. Instead of maybe once a week with my RC, maybe. Plus, there is also something very calming about a very slow flying airplane, right in front of you. I don't know how to explane it. So I decided to build a larger/floater, and grow with the hobby. So, enough with the BS, lets get building.

( 65 KB | 60 Downloads )
tether_001.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint