Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CABINAIRE Flight Report Oct 8, 2017 (Read 1037 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: CABINAIRE Flight Report Oct 8, 2017
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
And this is what it used to look like in its prime.

( 122 KB | 51 Downloads )
IM005737_1024x768_002.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

CABINAIRE Flight Report Oct 8, 2017
Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
     Gave it one last try today - since fixing the broken wing, I have not been able to trim it out.  I rushed out  flying today at 5 PM, no wind, 64 % humidity, 70 deg F, no one in the Cricket Wicket,  and one hour of testing and flying before the moisture started falling down out of the sky at 6 PM (sunset 7 PM), and starting to wrinkle and sag up the tissue - makes me wonder if I should have sprayed Krylon on the finished tissue so that it would not shrivel and droop wet so easily ...
     Got in about 15 short test flights - nothing spectacular ...  On the first wind, I broke the  1/8"  rubber motor   Sad  that has been sitting in the plane for a month.  Then I tried a  3/32" motor for a few tries - it seemed like it did not have enough power - only 8 second porpoising and dipsy doodling slow flights.  Then I put on a  3/16" rubber motor of four 12" strands - could only wind 255 turns of rubber or so - could not even wind it any more - big pressure - thought the model would break!    Shocked
     It flew FAST straight UP !!   - then porpoised out in ten second flights.  I tried everything from removing the downthrust shim, adding weight to the tail wheel wire, playing with the trim tabs on the stab - still only 10 second flights that ran out the rubber.
     I must prepare several extra motors and actually start test glides without the prop and motor for a whole new trimming session right from the start - maybe a new lighter stab (which is full of a lot of extra repair weight) ...  I just can't figure it out ...   Undecided    This model, right out of the box, flew 10 seconds in a flat perfect straight line and all I had to do was add a downthrust shim to the noseblock and put in bigger motors and stretch wind on a stooge - my record is 57 seconds - no where near that now ....  Oh well   Undecided   , I have two FF models to finish up  Cool   this fall and winter - the Easybuilt 20" Fleet "CANUCK" on floats, and the Sig 20" "CUSTOMAIRE" biplane.   Wink
LWM
Richard

( 83 KB | 50 Downloads )
6278_DOING_WILD_THINGS.JPG
( 119 KB | 54 Downloads )
6279_EXTREME_ANGLE_CLIMB_TO_RIGHT.JPG
( 90 KB | 51 Downloads )
6280_CLIMBING_UP_THE_RIGHT_SPRUCE.JPG
( 63 KB | 45 Downloads )
LEVELING_OFF_AFTER_STRAIGHT_UP_POWER_BURST.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint