Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DTs- actrivitated by radio control (Read 4121 times)
Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Re: DTs- actrivitated by radio control
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
So if the FAI requires a RDT, does that imply that any foreign modelers entering any FAI event in the USA is actually flying an R/C model?? 

There is one thing about this that seems rather odd is that your post is the only one so far on either this forum or the NFFS forum.

But if things get totally muddled I have a plan B, an Sn3 model railroad. No FAA to make life more confusing than it needs to be.

staubkorb wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 7:20am:
Seems that the AMA is shooting FF'ers in the back of the head.  FAI has amended their rules to make RDT mandatory for competition (outdoor FF) as a non-resettable (in flight) function, and I believe that motor cut-off may be tied into the DT in F1c.

Rational is the safety issue.

As there is NO continually "moveable" surfaces (unless the model is set up for radio-ASSISTED flight, where rudder and elevator are used), the model is still considered FF (at least over here - so far)...

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2019 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Seems that the AMA is shooting FF'ers in the back of the head.  FAI has amended their rules to make RDT mandatory for competition (outdoor FF) as a non-resettable (in flight) function, and I believe that motor cut-off may be tied into the DT in F1c.

Rational is the safety issue.

As there is NO continually "moveable" surfaces (unless the model is set up for radio-ASSISTED flight, where rudder and elevator are used), the model is still considered FF (at least over here - so far)...

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2019 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
7 MARCH 2019 EMAIL FROM THE AMA REGARDING RADIO OPERATED DE-THERMALIZER

The Safety Committee, as well as AMA’s Government Relations team, reviewed your inquiry and discussed it. There is a general consensus that if you are adding an RC system to the plane it would be considered an RC plane. As such you could be part of the AMA Park Pilot program; however, it would also mean that your model and your operation would now fall within the FAA’s requirements and Public Law 115-254, section 349. Currently free flight model operation does not fall within the FAA overview.

I put a post on the FFFS Forum earlier today.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
So what do you think? To keep this in context I am primarily thinking of occasional sport fliers or potential new comers. Especially those without ready access to the wide open spaces we had in the past.

Park_Pilot_Program_2018-10-30.pdf ( 60 KB | 98 Downloads )

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
staubkorb wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 8:40am:
Had a brain furz where I mentioned the class that the Mini Maxer belongs to.  At 23" span and no landing gear it is too big for Embryo.  Getting any kind of radio into that model would still be very difficult - if not impossible - and still have room for rubber.  A DT would be a very good idea in any case.

Yep, that is a problem. I was planning on adding a small "pod" or bulge on the bottom of the fuselage. Or if desperate, on top of the fuselage under the wing. Being careful to maintain wing incidence. Not a perfect solution but it might get me in the air and on the way. Either way, I kind of muck up the looks of the design.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Had a brain furz where I mentioned the class that the Mini Maxer belongs to.  At 23" span and no landing gear it is too big for Embryo.  Getting any kind of radio into that model would still be very difficult - if not impossible - and still have room for rubber.  A DT would be a very good idea in any case.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
staubkorb wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:30pm:
The Mini Maxer is more of an Embryo class model and a 4 gm servo is really too heavy.  There are much lighter servos in the 1.5 - 2.4 gm range that are more than adequate.  One has to also take the battery weight into consideration.   An all-up weight of approx. 3 grams is to be expected.

Spektrum (Hanger 9/Horizon Hobby) and Orange (avail thru Hobby King), both systems on the DSM2(X) protocol, have this type of gear that operate with a single-cell LiPo.

Actually, the lightest and still reliable DT system for small models is the rotary Viscous or "Button" type that weigh next to nada and are not that hard to set up.

That is good information. Thanks.  I have also contacted the AMA to see if a radio controlled dethermalier equipped model qualifies as a Park Flier. There reason I am interested is so that I can pop the dethermalizer if I am in danger off going into the trees. A preset DT involves more guess work than I can handle. Of course using a rudder might be the ultimate solution. The curse of a smallish field.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
The Mini Maxer is more of an Embryo class model and a 4 gm servo is really too heavy.  There are much lighter servos in the 1.5 - 2.4 gm range that are more than adequate.  One has to also take the battery weight into consideration.   An all-up weight of approx. 3 grams is to be expected.

Spektrum (Hanger 9/Horizon Hobby) and Orange (avail thru Hobby King), both systems on the DSM2(X) protocol, have this type of gear that operate with a single-cell LiPo.

Actually, the lightest and still reliable DT system for small models is the rotary Viscous or "Button" type that weigh next to nada and are not that hard to set up.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Sorry about that Ed...
E-Flite makes a series of RC park flyers of various types of aircraft that have what many term a "brick"   receiver/speed control/two linear servos in one package (block) some 4 to 6 channels.
Here's a link to see what I'm talking about: Click Here

Here's a link to see the models the gear can come in: Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 3:52pm:
I know lots of fellas are using E-flite bricks that are receiver/servo combinations that are very light for these applications... Not sure but sounds like you could get away with that combo you've mentioned.  How about it fellas any further insight for our fellow modeler?

Does "E-flite" refer to a specific company, or is it a generic modeling term? I went to the E-flite web site but found it unlike any other I have visited. I decided that given my low-level of computer savy, I would leave that one alone.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
I know lots of fellas are using E-flite bricks that are receiver/servo combinations that are very light for these applications... Not sure but sounds like you could get away with that combo you've mentioned.  How about it fellas any further insight for our fellow modeler?

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

DTs- actrivitated by radio control
Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
So I live in Connecticut, not quite free flight heaven. My preferred flying field is a primary school field, surrounded by trees on 3 sides with the parking lot, playground and more trees on the remaining side.

My son has suggested using a dethermalizer. I added the R/C bit. The question is is a 4 gram servo, 2 gram receiver plus a small battery and switch too much for something like the Sig Mini-Maxer to haul around? I could build something as big as  P-30 but anything else is definitely out of the question. Although something in the 20 - 24 inch span is more to my liking.

Sound reasonable for an experiment, or am I asking for too much out of the gate?

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint