Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) P-38 Lightning 1st static build (Read 15138 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: P-38 Lightning 1st static build
Reply #51 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
your progress is great and I'm one of those that has much time between posts even with a great deal of time on my hands. The infill is looking very good and anxious to see how you utilize the plastic parts.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #50 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Before I forget.... apparently there has been a formula change with spackle that includes a type of poly which makes it hard to sand so since this is going to be display only felt that the good old heavy weight spackle will work just as well and one can still sand that version.

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #49 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Got a few things done though it has taken a while. Between a deck rebuild and vacation to take our son to see his Grandparents not much has been accomplished. I can report that there is an over abundance of plastic parts with this kit which does give it a very good aesthetic appearance. Tedious though it may be to plank the model I did not want to start over and recut all the parts with a 1/16 cut down to allow for sheeting! I will however plan on doing just that on any other static projects. Sigh....live and learn! Too stubborn to give up on what I've started though lol!

( 24 KB | 145 Downloads )
D57FC5A2-DEF7-40D7-9DA1-465C84920ED5.jpeg
( 22 KB | 110 Downloads )
304664F9-F87B-4311-81A2-F15BEE5BAB4B.jpeg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #48 - Mar 6th, 2020 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Ditto what Skyediamonds said! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #47 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
ib:

No need to apologize.  There will be times when everyone has literally allowed weeks and months go by without building or even posting.  Take your time and know we're here for you.  Your personal life and obligations will always come first.  Just relax and know this is first and foremost a hobby and restful pastime.

The nacelles look great.  Glad to hear of your progress.  Whatever methods you decide to choose, is fine with me (& I'm sure I speak for the rest of us).  It's your model and your hobby.  Make it yours.....  Cheesy

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #46 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the photos and am considering this course for main wing but am going to continue with infill for the pod and booms. Ran into an issue where the dihedral and slight concave curvature on the underside of the main wing will require some shim work to create a good fit. Sorry about the lengthy time between posts. I haven't stopped the build but did take some time away on a family matter. I will be posting more photos as well. Apparently the photos I had previously taken on the boom construction have mysteriously disappeared from my phone. I apologize letting my 2 1/2 year-old play with my phone lol🤦🏻‍♂️!

( 30 KB | 136 Downloads )
53B67ACD-C144-42E2-A94D-3845DE75F41D.jpeg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #45 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
ib:
Enclosed, you'll see the type of paper I was talking about.  I purposely took these photos to illustrate the plastic laminations over the paper.  There are several different grades to choose from.  It's just a matter of picking out the grade that best suits you.

As the last picture shows, they also come in different sizes. 

Hope all this helps.

( 121 KB | 110 Downloads )
Paper___plastic___1A.jpg
( 120 KB | 111 Downloads )
Paper___plastic___2A.jpg
( 98 KB | 124 Downloads )
Paper___plastic__3A.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #44 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 12:46am
Print Post  
ib:

Very valid questions.  Shows you're thinking two or three steps ahead of the build.  This is exactly the correct (& mind-numbing) thing to do whenever you're building "outside of the box."   Really impressed!!  This is where a lot of thinking (agonizing) goes on.  Ask me.

From my perspective, you've already (did a masterful job) of framing up the wings.  You're now at the decision point as to which way to cover.  Should you go the tissue route or use something more solid that will give off a realistic look as opposed to a skeletal appearance.

You have a number of options:

You can infill, but that's a lot of work and sanding, then filling in with a compound between the gaps and grains, then priming, and the list goes on.

The other option is to do what I'm doing with my Mustang project and sheet using thin sheets of glossy paper with a thin laminate of plastic instead of balsa wood.  The paper/plastic will be thin enough to mitigate the potential fit issues (not  completely, but enough to make it easier).  The "paplastic" also saves you lots of hassles of sanding and fitting because its already very thin.  It's also smooth & ready to paint.  You only need to scribe panel lines with a black ball point pen.  If you're so inclined to go a bit more in the detailing route, you can use a "pounce wheel" for making simulated rivets.  The pounce wheel is a small hand-held tool that sort of looks like a really bad pizza cutter.  See the enclosed photo

This "paplastic" sheet is what you see as "plate matts" on top of a desk in say, a bank, or restaurant displaying bank services or menu.  It's around, you just have to look. 

Prior to installing the "paplastic" sheets:  carefully cut them to the exact size needed to fit that section of the wing panel.  Instead of sanding down the balsa leading edge smooth, allow the leading edge to "stick" out above the rib outlines to account for the plastic thickness.  If you've already sanded down the leading edge, that's okay.  Just carefully sand down the ribs at the part where they butt up against the balsa leading edge.  This sanding down of the ribs only needs to go back about 1/2" from the leading edge, so you don't have to sand the whole ribs.  Because the plastic sheet is so thin, you only need to gently "touch" sand the ribs.  It doesn't  take much to lower the rib profiles enough to compensate for the plastic "skin."  Butt against the leading edge with the plastic sheet (or you can use laminated glossy paper instead of plastic) and feather out the sheets along the trailing edge. 

The thin sheets of plastic can come in large sizes.  They're easily obtained from local arts and crafts stores.  I don't know if Wal Mart has them. 

The only "hard part" is carefully fitting the plastic to the exact size and outline of that particular wing panel section.  In this case, you can use sheets of scrap paper.  You may end up using several "templates" until you get it just right.  Then simply trace the outline to the plastic.  I've enclosed a "few" sample pictures of my efforts  of covering the wing.  In this case, a practice wing section but you get the idea.  The silver paint was used to help determine how it contrasted with Flite Metal.  You don't have to use the foil

Once the plastic sheet has been cut and carefully trial-fitted to the exact size of the wing panel, use a ruler or straight edge and black ball point pen for the simulated paneling.  Gently press down on the plastic for that "depth" look.  You may wish to practice on some scrap first.

From there, you can either install the plastic sheet "as is" or add some rivet detail as described.  For the paneling and riveting detail, you'll need some reference photos, drawings or a small plastic model to help you determine where the paneling outlines go.  It's  only after you've finished pressing down with the ball point pen and/or pressing down with the pounce wheel, should you then glue the plastic sheet to the frame.  To do all of this pressing down while it's  on the frame will risk breaking the balsa frame.

Getting back to the balsa sheeting.  For the outer panels, you can sheet as usual.  Just use some Spackling Compound to help feather in the plastic sections to the wing.  You can sand down the panel sheet, but be careful.  Most likely you won't know how far you've gone down until its too late and the ribs start peeking through.

For the tail feathers, I'm using solid 1/4" balsa for my Mustang, so it's just a matter of personal choice.  The added thickness to account for the airfoil in the middle and its tapered toward the leading & trailing edge

I know I've mentioned this sheeting method before, but since you're already going "outside the box" with the sheeting, I'm thinking you might as well make it as easy and convenient as possible with less sanding, filling, sanding, priming, etc., prior to paint

( 76 KB | 118 Downloads )
P-51_wing_cover_bend___2A_001.jpg
( 85 KB | 121 Downloads )
P-51_wing_cover_details___7A_001.jpg
( 138 KB | 104 Downloads )
P-51_wing_cover_foil_-_9-Flt_MtlA.jpg
( 89 KB | 112 Downloads )
P-51_wing_cover_foil-Flt_Mtl___8A.jpg

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #43 - Feb 4th, 2020 at 6:18am
Print Post  
I do have a question for you on sheeting the wing. Since sheeting will increase the thickness of the wing should I infill the sections attaching the center pod and booms or just go to town and sand halfway through the stringers to account for sheeting?? I am assuming sheeting will cause a fit differential with the pod and boom sections. Also if thickness is going to become an issue should I forego the scale version of the tail feathers for the solid sheet outline ??

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #42 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
ib:
Beautiful set of wings!  If you're sheeting, let me know if you need any suggestions,  otherwise I'll just sit back and relax and enjoy the show.

You've done great!

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #41 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Have done some work on the main wings since those must be finished and attached before I can complete work on the center pod. Cockpit, under carriage, wing fillets are all plastic and the cockpit center section is all one piece. I plan on covering the wings with thin sheet so there will be lots of sanding to reduce the wing thickness to accept the sheeting. Also going to use strip balsa for the leading edge as it seems the kit supplied sticks are basically fossilized oak beams Grin!! Easier to build up and shape that way. Not sure how thin my sheeting can get so will check out Hobby Lobby on my days off to see what I can conjure up. Had thought about using thick sheet for the tail feathers since the model won't be flying but then decided I would rather enjoy working with all those little bits and pieces to  practice my techniques. Ok ok I enjoy all those little fiddley bits!

( 31 KB | 95 Downloads )
0FC6756B-086A-46D4-A86A-143EDD6B8A56.jpeg
( 45 KB | 93 Downloads )
9FBF8702-14E3-4F3E-ACF4-71B9AC698BC4.jpeg
( 33 KB | 86 Downloads )
C7597C85-C578-4610-ACD5-11B4531848A9.jpeg
( 22 KB | 86 Downloads )
2E283D28-9374-4662-A84F-839A3EC021DD.jpeg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #40 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
If it'll help any, you're doing a great job on the detailing of the cockpit interior and really impressive nose gear.  Couldn't do better myself.

Skye

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #39 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy Wink Cool

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #38 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I do have a dremel but currently it is residing somewhere in the depths of my garage without the needed cutoff wheel as I seem to have lost all the accessories somewhere. Thank you for reminding me about the dremel though I completely forgot I had one!! Roll Eyes Note to self.....start regimen of ginkgo biloba!!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #37 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
You need a cordless dremel cutoff wheel setup.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint