Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dumas Kit # 402 Red Lion (Read 8147 times)
neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Re: Dumas Kit # 402 Red Lion
Reply #25 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Perusing your work on the Red Lion, heywood. Very smart work indeed! It must seem the closer you get to the finish line the more you see that needs to be done Wink  My curiosity begs this question, what are the additions to the firewall? Particular with respect to the left quadrant. It'll be a treat to finally see the finished product Grin

Neoflight

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #24 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
the LG is fitted to the airplane but because some filler is needed it will be attached prior to paint

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbAea8pF8VufHtNr9mQv1Iw

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #23 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
more progress to report..

( 61 KB | 72 Downloads )
redlionmon.jpg
( 57 KB | 72 Downloads )
redlionmon01.jpg

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #22 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 11:29am
Print Post  
here is the latest update..still working on the belly pan / fairing and then the LG.

( 56 KB | 65 Downloads )
redlionthurs.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Wow!  It's truly an honor. to hear you say that.  I'm the one who is humbled.  As far as being "nuts," I tend to think Great Minds Think Alike. 

Keep doing what you do best.  We'll follow each other. 

Thank you, sir

Gary

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 12:40am
Print Post  
I must be nuts too because I just love your methodology and approach to problem solving. Your experience is vast and it shows in the array of solutions you can bring to bear at any given point during your builds. It’s fascinating and also deeply humbling for me..lol

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #19 - Jul 20th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Heywoood,

Actually, I'm going to do exactly what you described but using thin plastic sheeting.  I'll first cover the sheeting with Flite Metal -as the fragile skeletal wing will not take the pressure of applying the foil over the sheeting and then burnishing down the edges.  Once the sheeting/foil is laminated, I'll apply them direct to the wings. 

The tricky part here is that I've got to cut the sheeting and foil to fit exactly over the wings including the leading and trailing edges and to account for overlap, the open gun bays, wing fillets, wheel well outlines and wingtips.  Lots of planning is going into this seemingly simple operation.

This foil application will be literally absolutely THE last thing I'll do after everything else is done.  Why?  It's because the foil itself is extremely fragile.  I only need to look at it cross-eyed and somehow, a small dent, a tiny scratch or small imperfection appears on the surface; and this is AFTER I've sprayed a protective coating of clear paint. 

It's a "small" price to pay in exchange for a true metal finish.  I'll post on my build thread and keep you updated.  Crazy things I get myself into these days.......  Tongue

Cheers,

Gary

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Hi Gary - thanks for the support on deleveled’s inquiry. I was thinking of your Mustang project earlier today
And comparing the work you have done on your cockpit vs the comparably light work I have done and thinking “I should do more” to try to meet the bar you’re setting..
As to your wings - if you are not going to infill them you might try card stock and the Deluxe Sand n Seal.
As I was making the vented side panels for the Sparrowhawk using those materials I kept thinking it would also work just as well to replicate any kind of panel - even general air frame surface panels. The only challenges I could see would be getting the fit exactly right (because you cant sand them very much) and to prevent creases or bulging. I used 2 ply card stock that I laminated together using a mix of white glue and water (about 70-30% glue to water) that I then wrapped around a soda can to get smooth curvature while drying. Once I had them glued to the fuselage I brush painted them with Sand N Seal (3 coats - drying one hour between coats) - this product adds good density and stiffness to the paper.

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
deleveled:
Heyoood is an amazingly fast builder.  I'm still working on my P-51 Mustang (see "Yep, another one") that I started last year.  At this rate and his high level of quality, we can expect him to build at least two or three works of art for each one of mine. 

Heyoood:
Looking forward to your infilling the wings.  I'll be at that stage not too long from now.  I'm thinking of using thin sheets of thin plastic or glossy paper for the wings.  Then covering them with Flite Metal foil for that natural metal look.   

Gary

IP Logged

deleveled

limx→0+1x=+∞

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Very good work. Have you been at this long?

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #15 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
no worries - and thank you.

here is the current progress - tail feathers added. The wing has been laid-up and the dihedral added. I'm just starting the infill on it. Lots of work yet ahead

( 94 KB | 81 Downloads )
redliontoday.jpg
( 87 KB | 75 Downloads )
redliontoday01.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I agree with Sky9 on the great tip for silver bezels.  Great job!

Gary

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Great tip on the silver bezels!!! Smiley  This is a really inspiring build! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Working on the panel. basic 'sandwich' type - backer plate (birch ply, then cardstock with the instrument faces glued to it, then acetate to replicate the glass, then the panel face with all the holes in it. The panel face also has bezels made from the finer solder wire wrapped around a paintbrush handle of the proper diameter - then sliced with a sprue cutter
note : the panel face is also birch ply (1/64" thick)
note two: if you want silver bezels the best way is to go ahead and paint them black or whatever along with the panel - then using a sanding block and 320-400 grit sand paper just lightly sand them across their faces until the solder shows..

( 64 KB | 75 Downloads )
gilmoreracerinst.jpg

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
For that I use sherwin williams shrink free spackle paste..but its all part of a process. I also use multiple coats of Deluxe Sand N Seal, and then either Tamiya’s surface primer or similar from Mr Hobby - Mr. Surfacer 1000. It’s also about the sanding process. I use 60-80grit for shaping and establishing an even (but rough) surface, then when the spackle goes on, I use 120grit then 180, then 220. After the first  spackle step is done the Sand N Seal goes on and is sanded almost completely away. There are at least 3 applications of spackle / sanding / sealer / sanding before the surface is ready for the surfacing primer. The whole process is what it is. After much trial and error this is the formula that works for me. I came from the cabinet and casework mfg industry - granted I was only a salesrep TO the shops and owners but you have to immerse yourself in their world to be accepted and to be of any help. I learned a bit about finish work as much as any other aspect of it I guess. Hope this helps. I dont profess to be an expert or claim any special knowledge, this is only my method..based on what I have seen and read on these boards and in my work history

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint