Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Guillows Trojan and new wood glue (Read 1440 times)
Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: Guillows Trojan and new wood glue
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Flew like a rock...with a dead pilot at the stick.  Embarrassed  On the other hand, just about anyone around here could do better as a flyer than myself.  Cool

Neal

IP Logged

scigs30
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Kerak, your T-28 looks great, how does she fly?

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:46am
Print Post  
You're an inspiration, Scigs...always appreciate your purist renditions.

Here's my sloppy effort at the same model...a bit aged now...canopy clouded up a titch.

Neal

( 74 KB | 106 Downloads )
North_American_T-28_Trojan_4.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Ditto what Neal said...just outstanding!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 7:40am
Print Post  
I've got a hunch the character that designed the model for Guillows never constructed it that nicely, Scigs...she's beautiful, literally...so crisp n' clean....

As I recall from my own experience...bet that LG amounts to a third of the model's total weight.  And if those decals are water-slide, kit has changed a few things.  Mine (years ago) were bond-paper cutouts.

Looks great! Smiley  My money's on some fun flights as well.

Neal

IP Logged

scigs30
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
She is all done balanced and ready for flight weight is 24 grams balanced.  Built out of the box with no modifications.  Once again the canopy is horrible as you can see, it kept falling apart so I ended up using transparent tape to keep it together.  The decals went on like a charm and the over aggressive tissue looks like old Esaki.  I coated the model with 2 coats of Sig Lite dope to seal the tissue and accept the waterslide decals.  Next will be her up in the air flying, get to try my new Go Pro.

( 72 KB | 89 Downloads )
DSC_0003-640x480_001.JPG
( 71 KB | 67 Downloads )
DSC_0005-640x480.JPG
( 67 KB | 74 Downloads )
DSC_0008-640x480_001.JPG
( 66 KB | 77 Downloads )
DSC_0016-640x480.JPG
( 58 KB | 71 Downloads )
DSC_0017-640x480.JPG
( 57 KB | 75 Downloads )
DSC_0025-640x480.JPG

IP Logged

scigs30
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I used the kit tissue, I forgot Guillows swapped out their white domestic tissue for this newer tissue.  This tissue is pretty close to Esaki as I have seen and it shrinks pretty aggressive when compared to older Guillows Domestic tissue.  I cover the wings and tail surfaces dry to prevent warps, that is why you see everything pinned down waiting to be doped.  The fuselage I covered wet, one piece for the bottom, one pieces for the left half and one piece for the right half.  Since this tissue shrinks so much, it kind of distorted some fuselage formers and stringers, oh well.  I applied the tissue with 50/50 Water/Elmers glue.  I did not attach with the new Titebond since it is a aliphatic glue.  Aliphatic glues have a tendency to leave residue on the tissue.  Hopefully I can get everything doped today if I have time.

( 54 KB | 70 Downloads )
DSC_0008-640x480.JPG

IP Logged

scigs30
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Guillows still uses 1/20 balsa, so yes the fit is tricky and corrected with sanding.  Hopefully tomorrow I will throw some kit tissue on it and call her good.

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Looking good. I didn't like that canopy either on my build. I guess they did it in 2 parts because otherwise they couldn't fit it in their standard box.
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Outstanding Sciggs...love this model and will have to check out this glue!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Hey...good to hear from you, Scigs...been a while!  Smiley  T-28 looks great...your typical craftsmanship...you've always done absolutely beautiful work on those traditional kits.  "Nobody does it better!"  Wink

I do recall that canopy arrangement.  You've done a much nicer/cleaner job than I managed.  That kit had me growling a bit as I recall...1/20 sheet parts to fit into 1/16 slots.  Hope G has changed that by now.  Otherwise, using their plan for a scratch-build would pose no problems at all.

Thanks for the glue report...I'll be giving it a workout myself.

Neal

IP Logged

scigs30
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Guillows Trojan and new wood glue
Jan 29th, 2021 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Besides model airplanes, I build RC planes...no ARFs here, model rockets, plastic models and furniture.  So when I was at Rockler a couple of weeks ago I saw this new Titebond glue in a jug.  I use the same white glue for all my projects except plastic models.  One of the things I want from my glue is that it dries clear.  Titebond original is the best glue I have ever used but it dries light yellow, so I don't really use it much.  This new glue from Titebond is a Aliphatic Resin just like Titebond original except it dries clear.  It dries fast, maybe too fast and is strong.  I have tried it out on a rocket, some furniture and now this Guillows Trojan I won from Doyle Blevins on the last Guillows challenge.  I built this model straight from the box with no modifications in about 2 days.  As shown she weighs 18 grams and will start covering with kit tissue tomorrow.  Of course I am not happy with the canopy.  This made a great test project for the this glue since it has some defined bends in the fuselage.  This glue dries so fast, I would just hold the parts together for a few min and they held in place with no clamps, pins or tape.  Also I did not wet and pre bend the curved stringers because I really wanted to test the glue.  After this build I will build a vintage large RC plane and see how well this glue works.  This glue also worked really well on my furniture that I have used it on.  Stay tuned for my RC build, I will post pictures of my build when I get started.

( 86 KB | 82 Downloads )
DSC_0001-640x480.JPG
( 88 KB | 68 Downloads )
DSC_0003-640x480.JPG
( 85 KB | 74 Downloads )
DSC_0004-640x480.JPG
( 79 KB | 68 Downloads )
DSC_0006-640x480.JPG
( 73 KB | 69 Downloads )
DSC_0009-640x480.JPG
( 75 KB | 87 Downloads )
DSC_0010-640x480.JPG