Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic B-29 (Guillow's #2005) Unboxing (Read 966 times)
Birddog63

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: B-29 (Guillow's #2005) Unboxing
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I was able to spend some time on the Superfortress.  I'm using 1/32" balsa sheeting for the covering.  This is my first time using this technique, so I took my time.  One lesson I learned was to expand the "landing" surface of the sheeting by gluing extra balsa pieces to the frame in order to help hold the sheet edges around the tight corners such as the leading edge.

I played with different wood fillers and putty's on practice pieces before starting on the wing.  I'm glad I practiced before moving to the actual wing.  I made quite a mess of the joints at first.  I settled on Mr. White Putty.  I'm pleased with the progress so far.

( 135 KB | 56 Downloads )
B-29_Right_wing_1.jpg
( 122 KB | 48 Downloads )
B-29_Right_wing_2.jpg
( 113 KB | 57 Downloads )
B-29_Right_wing_3.jpg

IP Logged

Birddog63

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2021 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pic's and information on "Haggerty's Hag".  I love to hear stories about the old warbirds being restored.  As I've been doing research, I found two short article  in "Air Progress Warbirds International" from the spring of 1985.  The first story was about "Kee Bird" found in Greenland, and the second referenced "Ancient Mariner" which at the time was waiting for restoration.  I'll have to look further into each of these.  I believe I enjoy the mining for history as much as actually modeling.

Great story about Dale.  I can't even imagine what he was feeling as he was "flying through the darkness . . . ".

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 10:50am
Print Post  
B-29 stories...have a 29 just up the road from here..."Haggerty's Hag."  I served in the Army as well as the Air Force and used to "eyeball" this aircraft from a distance out at Michael's Army Airfield, Dugway Proving Ground.  Story is that it was used during atmospheric testing extensively...seriously contaminated.  Was "parked" way out at the ends of the Earth for many years, abandoned...until finally approved for "rescue."  Is now restored at Hill AFB Aerospace Museum...painted up as "Straight Flush," 509th ac that flew weather recon over Hiroshima three days prior to Enola Gay mission.

Stories...I once knew a former 29 tail gunner who related his one and only experience of a bailout.  Tail position was pressurized...was supposed to be evacuated only after depressurization.  Engine fire at night...crew ordered to prepare for emergency evac.  Dale (his name) took things just a bit further.  While "preparing" things, he somehow blew the evac hatch...was not strapped in...found himself "gone," flying through the darkness of an Idaho night....   Fire was extinguished and ac landed safely...without him.  Opps.  Dale was ok...rescued by locals...but says he "pissed" is flightsuit, but no one said anything about it.  What NOT to do....

Neal

( 55 KB | 72 Downloads )
B-29___Haggerty_s_Hag.jpg
( 50 KB | 66 Downloads )
Boeing_B-29-55-MO_Superfortress_Hill_Aerospace_Museum.jpg
( 86 KB | 84 Downloads )
44-70039-5.jpg
( 118 KB | 75 Downloads )
B-29_tail_gunner.jpg
( 62 KB | 67 Downloads )
tailgunnerfullcolor.jpg
( 37 KB | 65 Downloads )
main-qimg-525f25e1c691880b2daa53d777da7bf9.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2021 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
A nice challenging build.  I look forward to follow along on this one!!! You'll want to contact/follow Skydiamond's P-51D for his metal techniques.  You'll have lots of bare metal on this bird! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Birddog63

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

B-29 (Guillow's #2005) Unboxing
Nov 27th, 2021 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Now that the Spitfire is complete, I'm ready to move on to my next project.  My father gave me several models, including a partially built B-29.  I've attached pictures of the plane.  Knowing this will be a static model, I am planning the various aspect of the plane to detail.  The cockpit, bomb bay, and gear wells quickly come to mind.  I've also reviewed sections of this website to help with the engines.  While modeling the "Enola Gay" or "Fifi" would be great.  I want to seek out obscure planes with fascinating stories that could be an inspiration for the model. There a ton of B-17 and B-24 stories, I just haven't found as many for the B-29.  Please share any thoughts you might have as I begin to plan out the build.  My father has over 70 years of experience building static "stick models".  He loved the hobby greatly.  I'll share pictures of his work in future posts.

( 328 KB | 100 Downloads )
B-29_Unboxing_1_20211127.jpg
( 252 KB | 93 Downloads )
B-29_Unboxing_2_20211127.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint