Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stabilizer Mounting Question... (Read 1907 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Stabilizer Mounting Question...
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Mark,
Thanks for the kind word.  When you've had as much time under your belt as I have you'll have more skills than I do!!!   Just keep asking questions, and building these things will come!!!  Thanks again for your kind words.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tom! Appreciate the help. That Rewin is a beauty! I wonder if I'll ever develop enough skill to tackle wheel pants like that - and the landing gear wood work, very very cool, my friend!

Thanks!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Duco is a very good glue.  I do dilute mine about 50/50 with acetone.  I do what they call double gluing.  I put a small drop on the spot to be glued and a spot on the place that will be glued.  Then when a few minutes have passed I put another drop of glue on the spot and stick them together.  The fresh drop of glue activates both previous drops after they have penitrated the wood a bit.  Makes a good joint.  But make sure the joint is a tight joint.  Duco doesn't make for a filler in a poor joint!!! 
Here's a picture of my Rearwin Speedster to show what I mean by a slot for the horizontal stab.

btw  you trim the model for flight then fill/cover the slot with tissue once trimmed.

( 218 KB | 34 Downloads )
slot_4_horz_stab.jpg

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Hey Tom! Thanks for the reply and ideas. Actually, this model does have a vertical fin. It incorporates a single front wheel for landing gear and the out runners on the tips of the vertical stab act like two rear supports for ROGing. At least I think that is the intent. I will not be incorporating any landing gear or the out runner fins on this build.

The slot you mentioned, is that made by gluing two parallel pieces of wood on the bottom of the stab??

Anyway, your post has given me some ideas - thanks. I do have both Testors wood glue and a fresh tube of DUCO so maybe I'll try mixing up a batch of 50 - 50 DUCO and Acetone. I think this is your go-to glue, correct?

Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 11:22am
Print Post  
With this bird it looks like the vertical stabs are placed on the tips of the horizontal stab so you don't have to deal with a vertical stab on the center top of the horizontal stab.  Often with this type of model the horizontal stab will be glued, after covering, just at the middle front of the horizontal stab allowing the trailing edge to be shimmed up if necessary for trimming.  Quite often in most models a slot for the horizontal stab is made that will allow shimming the front or rear of the stab to adjust trimming.  A soluable glue like Duco will be use that can be disolved with a bit of acetone or thinner.  This will allow re-adjustment of the stab.  Now if you're creative like Mike Kelly you can add an adjustment screw and plate for minor adjustments.  But this is mostly for larger models unless you come up with very small nylon screws.  I'll let Mike give more details on that type of tail mounting setup.

IP Logged

MarkM
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Stabilizer Mounting Question...
Apr 28th, 2023 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I'm finishing up a Peck Polymer "One Nite". This is the 16" version. Anyway, I'm curious as to how a more experienced builder might mount the stabilizer on a fuse like this? I mean, there's not a lot there but I'm curious, for example, how someone might approach this if they decided that they wanted to be able to make adjustments to the stab. I won't add a DT to this model and as always, I want to avoid adding additional tail weight but again, just curious if a more advanced builder would add something to the tail of this fuse?

As always, sorry for the horrific photography!

Thanks for any input, suggestions, verbal floggings etc... Wink

( 80 KB | 33 Downloads )
One_Nite_Stab_1.jpg
( 190 KB | 31 Downloads )
One_Nite_Overall.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint